Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Alcoholic beverage of choice?

So, what type of booze is your favorite, and in what situation?

On a hot day, especially after hard work, I like a nice cold beer, specifically a draught beer (here in Aus, it'd be Carlton for me.) I find that beer which isn't too expensive is ultra refreshing when it's crisp and cool.I'm a big fan of Cooper's Ale as well, strong stuff.

On a winter day, I love Kilkenny. Guinness is a bit too heavy and dark for my liking, Kilkenny hits the spot just perfectly.

As a youngster (15 or so) I'd always buy Natural Ice (*vomits*) but I graduated to Miller, which was a slight improvement, before I moved to Aus. When I last visited the states, I had a real hard time finding a beer that was both affordable, and went down smooth. I settled for Heiniken, crisp, but not cheap and not my favorite by a long shot.

If its party time, Jim Beam and coke on the rocks!

I always thought cheese & wine sounded repulsive, but Julia has gotten me into it recently. A Cabernet Merlot goes shockingly well alongside some sharp cheddar and crackers!

How about you all?

Beer! Usually expensive beer because I try not to drink too much of it. Guinness, Innis & Gunn, Big Rock, whatever interesting thing is spawned by the local craft brewers, etc. The sorts of beers that aren't bad even if they're just sitting on the shelf in my hot office. If I have to drink piss like Corona it better be so cold it hurts to hold the bottle.

If I'm not drinking beer I'd prefer a gin & tonic. Those are the best for functions. I can drink those all night at a wedding and still walk out of there and get up the next day.

We have this conversation a lot. I should just start linking posts I've already made.

Beer. Usually Heineken or Dos Equis, I also drink Moosehead and Rolling Rock.

I drink Samuel Adams too, so I can wash the taste of weed and hooker spit out of my mouth.

DeathevokatioN said:

I can't drink beer because I get seizures whenever I do.

But before I had epilepsy my beverage was Windhoek Draught, brewed in Namibia, goes down really smoothly with pizza and a 70's horror flick.

Wait, you can develop epilepsy? I thought you were born with it.

RUSH said:

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey. No contest.

That stuff is DELICIOUS. If we're taking shots, I'm right there with you man.

Ribbiks said:

Too much soda, but not enough booze!

DeathevokatioN said:

I can't drink beer because I get seizures whenever I do.

That's a shame - I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Aliotroph? said:

If I'm not drinking beer I'd prefer a gin & tonic. Those are the best for functions. I can drink those all night at a wedding and still walk out of there and get up the next day.

Wine is the one that really kills me.. The next day my insides feel like sandpaper. I haven't really tried much in the way of gin, guess I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I go out.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

I drink Samuel Adams too, so I can wash the taste of weed and hooker spit out of my mouth.

I'm the type to smoke weed to get the taste of Sam Adams out of my mouth :P

Ewwww Carlton, that stuff is made of crap. Coopers beer is where it's at. Their ranges are consistent- sparking ale, pale ale, mild ale, and dark ale. All yummy.

Guinness is my ideal weapon of choice if on tap but it's a rarity sadly. As for spirits, Jameson and ice is the shit.

Joshy said:

Ewwww Carlton, that stuff is made of crap. Coopers beer is where it's at. Their ranges are consistent- sparking ale, pale ale, mild ale, and dark ale. All yummy.

Guinness is my ideal weapon of choice if on tap but it's a rarity sadly. As for spirits, Jameson and ice is the shit.

Hahahah, yeah, Coopers is much better than Carlton. Julia always gets up me for drinking "bogan shit", but I dunno, the taste is pretty good to me, but I've definitely shifted more towards Coopers Sparkling these days.

Dewars

Crown Royal

Yuengling

Warsteiner

Becks

Guinness

Jameson

(Guinness, Jameson, and Baley's; an Irish Car bomb)

Patron

Johnnie Walker

Beefeater

Olde English

In this exact order:

Beer
Gin
Mezcal
Vodka
everything else

Nearly always beer. My "go to" is Blue Moon. Pretty cheap and not piss. Though I've been having some financial issues lately, usually I spend about $30 a week on trying out random import and craft brews. I prefer dark beers; porters, stouts, schwarzbier, dunkels, etc. Not too much into the hops-rich pale ales all the hipsters are drinking, but I've had a few that I enjoyed.

Blue Moon is a nice one, I've only had it a few times but really enjoyed it. Also, I agree about not being too big on the pale ale.. Doesn't hit that spot a beer should, at least not for me.

Zed said:

Mezcal
Vodka

Whew, both of these fuck me up royally, and not in the good way. I can't drink either, not even small amounts.

Doomkid said:

Whew, both of these fuck me up royally, and not in the good way. I can't drink either, not even small amounts.

Expert advice: a true mexican never drinks mezcal/tequila with a worm in it. That's just marketing. But yeah, generally mezcal is stronger than tequila. Use common sense, and have fun! (but yeah, if you can't stand it, it's better to stay away).

Just any old white or red wine as long as it's fair enough quality, I only drink rarely however.

Usually ale or lager. And if hops were used to make, the better. Never gonna buy Faxe, though. Fucking piss that thinks it's beer. Local companies, mostly from Olvi or Sinebrychoff and A.Le Coq are the ones I keep in fridge, a standard. Dark stuff, like Guinness, are rarities on my part. But they're still excellent stuff.

Now, if we go for more stiff stuff, Cognac or its derivatives is the drink that puts you back in the society.
Or, buy Koskenkorva and put it freezer (or outside, if it's least -20 celcius), if you wanna drink this raw essence. Few say it is excellent drink to do cocktails or mixtures, not gonna doubt that.
And Vodka is also something I like, both raw and in coctail. If you can't take it down, put some common juice, or cranberry. Half of each, or 1/4th of vodka if there's trouble.

Wine is something I will never drink. The End. Fin.

Beer mostly, i assume not many here are familiar with german beer so it doesnt make sense to name some brands i prefer.

Besides Becks or Astra maybe...

As far as booze goes I prefer beer.

I got tired of Alexander Keith's IPA and don't like it much anymore. I think they changed it or some shit. meh.

I prefer Innis & Gunn, Boddington's Pub Ale, Ricard's Red and Belhaven Best. Also like Sharp's DoomBar but I don't always see it here. The local liquor store I frequent always seems to have different imports so I like to try a few different ones sometimes. Sleeman is good too tho I haven't had any of that in ages.

Sometimes I'll very rarely drink a rum & coke. Not big on the hard booze.

I also brew some beer when I get psyched. I just use a kit rather than going the scratch route which I don't have the room for. I have a Morgan's Stockman's Draught that needs to be brewed. It would be nice to have a kitchen just for brewing beer... then a guy could really experiment. Grow your own hops even..

Lager: Holsten Pils, Oranjeboom (blue), Becks.
Ale: Mostly Hob Goblin and bottled London Pride.
Cider: K cider, Scrumpy Jack, Strongbow's more recent range, Kopparberg.
Spirits: JD, Tequila, Jagermeister, Disaronno.
Other: Desperado's (you know? The French beer which pretends to be Mexican).
And a fair few more but those stand out the most.

tourniquet said:

Beer mostly, i assume not many here are familiar with german beer so it doesnt make sense to name some brands i prefer.

Besides Becks or Astra maybe...

I would love some suggestions, actually. I've had a few German beers (never had Becks or Astra though). My favorite I've tried was Köstritzer's Schwarzbier; if you have any dark beer suggestions I'd love to check them out. I'm interested in dunkels, I only had one that I don't recall the name of, otherwise I don't really know where to start.

I ether drink Jack Danial's mix with Dr. Pepper or Captain Morgan with Dr. Pepper.

Cider drinker here, although normally the kind that serious cider enthusiasts would say isn't "proper" cider. Bulmers, Brothers and Rekorderlig are usually my preferred ones.

Nomad said:

if you have any dark beer suggestions.

Ah unfortunately i don't really prefer dark beer so i can't help much with suggestions but i'm pretty sure that Köstritzer is one of germanys best in that category.

You should try Breznak it's a czech dark beer and probably one of the best world wide, even my grandma loves that stuff.