Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Do you have any corrupted Doom memories?

Akira_98 said:

I'll try to explain this though I'm not the guy to do it, most likely. Take it with a a pinch or twenty of salt, I'm sure somebody else here will be perfectly happy to correct me though. ;P

A grab is a trick that has been around for a long time. The most well-known one I can think of is the Doom 2 map01 plasma grab in deathmatch. You more-or-less run into the platform, and for a moment the game believes you're actually in/on the platform and gives you the plasma gun. It works the same way for pretty much every grab. A void glide works the same way, in that you run at a corner or wall or some such thing in such a way that for a moment, the game believes you're somewhere inside the wall, and when it goes to correct it, it puts you outside the wall rather than in-bounds. I only know one and heard of one other.

Here is one: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/35457-ultimate-doom-trick/

Grain of Salt said:
During the dream I looked through the maps in SLADE and watched an FDA of the new MAP20 (recorded by Huy Pham for some reason), which was called "Jesus, Mary and Oblivion" (which is possibly an interesting theological reference or possibly some cheesy prog metal nonsense), and looked like a much larger, decentralized version of the current MAP10.

There were various comments on the Sunder thread about one particular section (which appeared "fish-shaped" on the automap) being too hard or possibly uncompleteable. Huy Pham's comment on his demo said "I got to the fish", but that it would be his final attempt on the map.

The Jesus fish!

I have many memories of seeing my Uncle play Doom when I was very young. For whatever reason, I remembered the Mancubus as being super tall (though still fat) and stationary (this could be due to a dream I had.)

obake said:

I remembered the Mancubus as being super tall (though still fat) and stationary (this could be due to a dream I had.)

Cyberdemon = a fit Mancubus?

Not really a corrupted memory, but that box-cover where we see the cybe from below always makes me think the cybe is wearing a sombrero.

Rez said:

Not really a corrupted memory, but that box-cover where we see the cybe from below always makes me think the cybe is wearing a sombrero.

You might be interested in playing Reelism then.

Janus3003 said: You might be interested in playing Reelism then.

In which what??
[goes off, finds video]
Eeeeiiieee! Reminds me of The Sky May Be!!

The first time I ever saw Doom I walked in on my brother and my dad checking out the shareware. They were on E1M3, fell into the nukage pit before the blue key, and were scrambling around trying to figure out how to get out. I swear I saw the doomguy's hands clawing at the walls trying to climb out.

I remember a vivid experience (I was about 7 years old) of witnessing a Giant Ettin, at least four times the size of Hexen Ettin's size. It was accessed somewhere in the Winnowing Halls. Turns out it was just a dream, and an anxious spellcaster wanting to assemble the Blood Scourge fueled my fire to discover all the secrets of Hexen.

Not mine per se but my brother remembers playing Hexen's Sacred Grove and when he stayed in the map for a while, there was a message from Korax saying that he would be trapped and the ethereal travel was blocked off. Suddenly tons of ettins started teleporting in and killed him.

I remember when I was about 10 years old, when i played alone or in the dark I would constantly check behind me to see if anything was there. The slightest noise would freak me out while playing, so I would scan there area around me for about 5 minutes to see if everything was safe. I miss Doom in the 90's. Good times.

Cacatou said:

Not mine per se but my brother remembers playing Hexen's Sacred Grove and when he stayed in the map for a while, there was a message from Korax saying that he would be trapped and the ethereal travel was blocked off. Suddenly tons of ettins started teleporting in and killed him.

That actually happens.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hub_2:_Sacred_Grove

TheCupboard said:

I remember a vivid experience (I was about 7 years old) of witnessing a Giant Ettin, at least four times the size of Hexen Ettin's size. It was accessed somewhere in the Winnowing Halls. Turns out it was just a dream, and an anxious spellcaster wanting to assemble the Blood Scourge fueled my fire to discover all the secrets of Hexen.

You can sorta relive your dream with Hexen: Resurrection of Chaos.

Gez said:

You can sorta relive your dream with Hexen: Resurrection of Chaos.

In fact, I much prefer Serpent: Resurrection you may or may not know that I helped The Ultimate Doomer / Darkthief playtest that megalyth of a wad. It is truly the best representation of an experience system, a wide and mysterious adventure, level up process, monster packs, and shops eager to trade your loot for artifacts.

The Ultimate Doomer / Darkthief (as he is known on ZDaemon servers) released a stripped-down-to-basics version of his Serpent: "Resurrection - RPG System"

I don't remember any giant ettin in Serpent Resurrection, though I admit I didn't finish it.

I used to remember that there was a hidden Plasma Rifle in Knee-Deep In The Dead, and I thought that there was a hidden path to the Shores of Hell at the end of MAP08 that I took, where the first level was a dark metal-textured base where you fought a bunch of pistol zombies, but I realized that was actually some old dream I had after I finished the demo-version of Doom.

I see a lot of posts enemies in levels that normally wouldn't have that enemy, but that could possibly be explained if you had ever played through the psx version Doom. Example, in E1M1 on Ultra Violence, there is a PAIN ELEMENTAL in the secret area above where you obtain the shotgun. http://i.imgur.com/4o2WkD8.jpg

Speaking of shotguns, a couple people recall seeing the Doom shotgun in Wolf 3D. But you could also be remembering Wolf 3D in Doom. There are two hidden Wolf 3D levels in Doom II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTY_cC3aYdo

Someone also mentioned remembering a shortcut to Episode 2 from Episode 1, but that might be a memory being confused with the secret level E1M9 hidden in E1M3, as the secret level shares the hellish sky from the later episode.

As for my own confused memories, I totally recall the first two levels of E1 being lot larger, more open, and a ton of doors. But I think memory stores things differently the first time you experience it. It was so long ago, everything was brand new and fresh, you are just taking it all in. Plus with so many different ports floating around, all with minor changes, it's easy to get things mixed up.

I feel like I'm retaining ghost memories of how to beat doom2.wad MAP19, collecting all three keys, because when I attempt it I screw it up every time =P

Jeremy said:

Someone also mentioned remembering a shortcut to Episode 2 from Episode 1, but that might be a memory being confused with the secret level E1M9 hidden in E1M3, as the secret level shares the hellish sky from the later episode.

It doesn't. Another corrupted memory?

I remember the focus being different. I remember a room with me holding the SSG and a very dark square room with shells, some dead imps and some armor bonuses.

I remember E4M1 having stairs in the beginning, leading to the shotgunner alcoves and E1M5 having lava, but I think both of these is because when I was new to mapping, I made these changes.

I remember E2M4 being hellish and the whole level had barons in it.

For some reason, I always believed that if you beat Doom 1 (ultimate) in Nightmare (all levels), then the door in E1M1 behind you would open up, give you a plasma rifle and teleport you to E1M9. I still do.

Fellowzdoomer said:

For some reason, I always believed that if you beat Doom 1 (ultimate) in Nightmare (all levels), then the door in E1M1 behind you would open up, give you a plasma rifle and teleport you to E1M9. I still do.

That would be a fucking lousy reward for that.

Rez said:

My first DOOM box (with Doom v1.2) ran DRDOS 6.0, which apparently had it in for DOOM... DRDOS really did NOT like the DOS4GW memory manager. On the larger maps that apparently corrupted stuff, leading to maps being randomly mixed up (walls and hallways where they didn't belong, doors and switches missing, etc). This kinda permanently confused my idea of how to find my way around Ep2, which was the most affected.

Might be worthwhile acquiring a copy of DR-DOS 6 just to see how crazy it gets.

'Course there's also the possibility of a CPU bug being involved, tho I don't recall hearing of any along those lines for a DX2/66... great, now I feel old!

Rez said:

DX2/66

I haven't built a 486 system for ages but should have all the components, anything else I should know?

great, now I feel old!

It's a feeling that doesn't improve with age, so enjoy it while you're young. ;)

Mmm. Trident VLB video. SB16 of the old type with the Panasonic connector for a CDROM (I still use this card in my current DOOM rig**). VLB I/O card of some higher-end type. USRobotics 14.4 internal modem. 4mb RAM. 2 HDs (Conners), 2 FFD (I think those are both still in service).

Can't think of anything else unique or different. The motherboard got killed by a keyboard short (never another Focus keyboard in my house!) and is long gone from the world. DRDOS6 was none too stable, and DRDOS7 had its ugly moments too, but the WFWG 3.11 setup was rock-stable (in fact Windows never crashed in its 7 years as the everyday box, and it had tons of stuff installed... hint: if you install both M$ Office and Novell Perfect Office, do it in that order!!)

DRDOS's memory manager had some bug that conflicted with DPMI (bug not present in MSDOS); as I recall we had to disable it entirely for a custom DOOM boot, cuz otherwise anything using DOS4GW wouldn't run at all. DRDOS6 was crankier than 7 that way, but both were touchy about it. Might be its supposed own DPMI support for their multitasker, which we never got to work.

** Is it wrong to dedicate a P4-3GHz to DOOM? :D

Young? YOUNG? that was a long time ago, sonny... now get off my lawn!

Waitaminnut... what's with all these weeds in my yard? Where the hell is my gardener??

Da Werecat said:

It doesn't. Another corrupted memory?

The answer to that question is both yes, and no.

Yes:Weird, I totally remember the SNES version having the E2 sky. Corrupted memory.

I don't recall if I had ever played this level in the 32x version, or on the GBA, but http://i.imgur.com/vQXqqOM.jpg

Jeremy said:

Weird, I totally remember the SNES version having the E2 sky. Corrupted memory.

Wait, it doesn't have it? o_o

Being a kid I could swear I've seen monsters picking up medkits and invisibility spheres (becoming invisible like specters). Now I know it's impossible.

Also as a kid i've had Doom 2 version 1.666, then stopped playing the game for some time. When my interest in classic Doom games rekindled (it was like 2003) I've got D2 1.9, and for some time thought that those steel bars at MAP02 were just my wrong childhood memories. Only recently I've found that they were removed by 1.9 version.

Who was it that swore up and down he saw a baron pick up a key and make off with it? this was ages ago, back when DOOM and all of us were young. Well, younger. ;P~