Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beloko

Prboom Plus on Android. OUT NOW - Doom Touch

printz said:

Does this have online verification DRM? I tried playing it offline.

Yeah I enabled the standard Google licensing stuff, I tried to make it as slack as possible but need to be logged into your Google account, it should cache the license for quite a while. Email me if this is cause problems thanks.

Happy to report that it works perfectly on my nVidia Shield, hardware controls and all. I now have a new favorite way to enjoy Doom on the go. Thanks!

Quick bug report, if you turn around to get the chainsaw on Doom2 MAP01 you'll notice the fence is above the ground.

I noticed you tried fluidsynth but it was CPU intensive. Have you tried timidity++? I believe that will work much better. Finally, do you plan on adding multiplayer support in the future? Even LAN over WiFi would be pretty awesome, doubly so if it could work with PC versions of PrBoom-Plus.

MP2E said:

Happy to report that it works perfectly on my nVidia Shield, hardware controls and all. I now have a new favorite way to enjoy Doom on the go. Thanks!

Quick bug report, if you turn around to get the chainsaw on Doom2 MAP01 you'll notice the fence is above the ground.

I noticed you tried fluidsynth but it was CPU intensive. Have you tried timidity++? I believe that will work much better. Finally, do you plan on adding multiplayer support in the future? Even LAN over WiFi would be pretty awesome, doubly so if it could work with PC versions of PrBoom-Plus.

Great thanks for letting me know about the Shield.

Yes I noticed that fence issue, havn't determined the cause yet.

I will try and get SDL + timidity working, do you have any suggestion for which sound pats to use?
Thanks.

beloko said:

Great thanks for letting me know about the Shield.

Yes I noticed that fence issue, havn't determined the cause yet.

I will try and get SDL + timidity working, do you have any suggestion for which sound pats to use?
Thanks.

I do have a few:
- WeedsGM3 is my personal favorite, it is a little big at about 55MB or 120MB uncompressed but the music output is worth it. This is also a soundfont instead of patches, so a recent version of timidity++ would have to be used instead of the old timidity version SDL_mixer uses.
- EAWPats is also pretty good, it's 33MB compressed, not sure what it is uncompressed.
- Or, if you want a small soundfont, use Freepats. Not the best patches ever, but small.

MP2E said:

I do have a few:
- WeedsGM3 is my personal favorite, it is a little big at about 55MB or 120MB uncompressed but the music output is worth it. This is also a soundfont instead of patches, so a recent version of timidity++ would have to be used instead of the old timidity version SDL_mixer uses.
- EAWPats is also pretty good, it's 33MB compressed, not sure what it is uncompressed.
- Or, if you want a small soundfont, use Freepats. Not the best patches ever, but small.

Cool thanks for the tips.
I got Timidiy with EWAPATs working, sounds much much better :)
I just need to make an automatic download/install to allow people to use it.

I have also (finally) fixed the walls/ceilings being full brightness, now also looks much better!

Regarding network play, I intend to add this. The issue is I asked the maintainer of Prboom+ and he said the latest version I am using probably has broken multiplayer code. Something this complex in the code is not something I can fix really. I will probably give it a try at some point.

I've also been playing this for the past week or so. Freggin' amazing work ! The controls feel better than on id's official iPhone port. Recently switched to Android from iOS and was kinda bummed I couldn't find a decent doom port, then here comes Touch Doom.

Works great on both my Nexus 4 & Nexus 7.

(How) does this load PWADs? Do you select them from a list like the IWADs?

exl said:

(How) does this load PWADs? Do you select them from a list like the IWADs?

Yes there is a new button (not updated the screen shots yet).
You put your (prboom compatible) wads in a 'wads' folders, and you can choose them easily from a list to play.

It would be great if there was an intent that I could run from my own app (Doom Idgames Archive), to directly launch a game with a downloaded WAD file. It would make playing new\found WADs from the /idgames archives a bit easier on Android devices.

exl said:

It would be great if there was an intent that I could run from my own app (Doom Idgames Archive), to directly launch a game with a downloaded WAD file. It would make playing new\found WADs from the /idgames archives a bit easier on Android devices.

Hi sure good idea. I will need the Doom game and path to the wad in the intent. It should also filter out only wads which work with Prboom. Email me and we can sort it out.

Xxbio warfare : Thanks!

I understand that it's in your complete rights to withhold distribution as you have, but it would be courteous (and possibly beneficial to you) if you had the source available on github or such. It even just makes it simpler, "Go to here for source" rather than handling requests manually.

That particular clause in the GPL is both an artifact that the GPL was written before Internet access was prevalent, and it's still important to today since it prevents the license from being tied to any particular technology that may not exist or be widespread in the future. It's not hard to imagine that the GPL would have had a requirement to keep a public link to the code on a BBS site -- 20+ years later, BBS sites are mostly extinct and upholding such a clause would be difficult or impossible. :p

Personally I'd love to try the point but I lack both money and the Play Store on my phone (by intentional omission...). What could even work is donation options on a web site; if you accepted bitcoin donations I'd even send you some by :)

I hope to be able to try your port at some point, and good luck :D

I tried downloading the soundfont for SDL music (it's available on the "Help" tab of the launcher in the latest version), and it makes a huge difference in music quality! No more OPL for me! :)

Thanks for the continuing improvements, Beloko!

There is a problem with PrBoom, it gets stuck at the main menu, I can't use it with the navigation buttons so there's no way to start a game. Also touch controls are not working. -- I'm using a Nexus 7 with Paranoid Android and Franco Kernel. Sorry for bumping.

P.D.: Can you send me the source code?

I'd like to see the source code on github or something. Especially the Gzdoom-related source. Gzdoom compiling on more ARM targets would be very helpful.

Heh, wonder if Zandronum wil make its way to android... also, fludisynth doesn't work for me. I have the dll, gzdoom doesn't play music. I think its because I'm using a soundfront Ifound online.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Heh, wonder if Zandronum wil make its way to android... also, fludisynth doesn't work for me. I have the dll, gzdoom doesn't play music. I think its because I'm using a soundfront Ifound online.

You have to set it in SDL, not Fluidsynth.

Does this still support mp3/ogg ?
Prboom plus (win) does but I cant get it to work here.

Thats a shame. I'd rather use prboom.
I wonder why? Is it a performance decision or some license thing? I've tried a couple other android (prboom) ports and they've all supported mp3, yet this one wich seems to be superior in most areas doesent.

Moktar said:

There is a problem with PrBoom, it gets stuck at the main menu, I can't use it with the navigation buttons so there's no way to start a game. Also touch controls are not working. -- I'm using a Nexus 7 with Paranoid Android and Franco Kernel. Sorry for bumping.

P.D.: Can you send me the source code?

Hi sorry for the delay, you have probably worked this out but you need to press the phones back button to at the start of launch, let me know if this does not fix it.

For the code sure please send email to support@beloko.com and I will send it.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Fluidsynth is compiled in and works for me, you need to set the soundfont path in Zdoom to point to the font file. Going to update soon to let you choose the file