Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

I'm pretty sure you'll need something with a bigger screen if you want to make a proper TITLEPIC without it being too blurry. :/ Just saying.

Mt. Lazarev

I said a lot to 40oz. on what could be done to the map, this includes:

-making the icebergs look less blocky.
-fixing the soulsphere secret (it's not a secret if I can get it so easily)
-right where the shotgun is, there's a teleport line. I'm not sure what this has to do other than block passageway to the blood-filled area, and even then you could just use a wall since most people won't expect to be teleported back to the beginning.
-PLEASE DELETE IMPASSABLE LINEDEF 698. it prevents me from reaching the megaarmor secret. if you want to find ways to keep the chaingunner and hellknight at bay, you could use "block monster" line attribute on linedefs 248 and 317. but I wanna be able to enter the secret.
-the first few stairs trigger when I walk up them, but it won't seem obvious to the first-time player. just have the stairs as they should be instead of triggering them.
-find a way to separate the blood area from the water, it doesn't look right just having the blood and water touch each other. make a wall or sorts?

hopefully you'll get to fixing this stuff.

Breezeep/Marcaek map

well then, the archie was sort of expected with this kind of music. I don't get much in weapons other than SSG, berserk, chaingun and rocket launcher. other than the archvile and the cacodemon wave, most of the monsters aren't difficult to deal with with a berserk enabled. the open area is quite spacious and generous for me to move around in. kudos for that. pretty fun and well designed level that works great in the set!

Slowness

this map played like the exact opposite of it's title. it's very cramped and unforgiving in my opinion. i'm not sure if I can kill the cyberdemon, let alone some of the windowed monsters (looks at the chaingunner wing). apparently I had to "grab" the yellow key (it's technically out of the playing area) and the red key involved a running jump as I saw no other way to reach it, but it was frustrating trying to get the key regardless. Jimmy's map was far better to play than this.

Obsidian, just played your map. And died. An archvile came outta nowhere (I didn't shoot) and I accidentally used the fire button as the panic button. Good map!

I like the titlepic, but the metal bars around the title need to be aligned. Also, I can see a split in the brick texture ( the brown one in the background ). Otherwise the idea is good, nice and simple.

Obsidian said:

Also, what was in mind for MAP30? I was thinking that a few mappers could collaborate on the MAP30 slot so we could make something awesome. Just an idea.

If executed well, I think doing this would be pretty cool. :)

I really like what you did there with my image! But I have to agree with you - it would be nice to have a more interesting titlepic for our project. I cannot do it, as I am no artist - all I did was arrange some textures in Paint.NET :)

Hey not bad! I was messing around with a titlepic idea a few days ago. I was trying to recreate the original Plutonia titlepic except the block letters making up THE PLUTONIA EXPERIMENT would be really small, unreadable, and there would be a magnifying glass in the foreground over the part that says Plutonia, saying Plutinya instead. I'm not well versed enough with gimp to do it though. I was gonna do something real hacky and create a map with the red sunset sky and a stone wall, stand next to the wall and look straight up (in a port that supports freelook) then take a screenshot to use as the background, then edit the letters in with an image editor myself haha.

I like how this came out though, and I'm glad you guys worked together on it!

I'll try to whip something together tonight. I have a new version of my map to upload as well.

Sorry everyone for being absent for so long. I wanted to take some time to relax since it's Summer and you hyperactive workaholics just made me look like the laziest motherfucker in the world :D
20th August? Uff, I will try to catch up as soon as I can. For now here are some bugs and observations I haven't seen mentioned:

Z0k - Surrounded
Your map has been already OK-ed so I hope I'm not too much of a pain in the ass... after you fixed the switch for the berserk secret it's now possible to switch it through the wall by simply trying to press the yellow switch second time. Seems only like a nice shortcut for a potentially useless powerup to me, though and I wouldn't mind much if it stayed unfixed :D

Captain Toenail - Fatalist
Damn, another OK-ed map. I'm sorry...
Not sure how that's possible but there seems to be some problem with the monster teleporters. Using IDDT on my FDA I see a mancubus walking through a teleporting line from both sides and only teleporting on 3rd try. One demon failed to teleport in at all because of the structure of the teleporting rooms coupled with monster behavior - after it ran pass the line he tried to chase me towards my position left of him but the teleporting rooms are towards the right. This way he was just walking from one end of the long hallway to the other end forever.

Count651 - Pitfall
The elevator can't be lowered outside of ZDoom-based ports so players can get stuck.

Rook & Surreily - Green Destiny
Other than the very questionable use of slimefalls as a sky texture I don't see any issues with the map. I kind of miss a backpack with the ammo being in every corner but that's just a nitpick.

Breezeep & Marcaek - And All That Could Have Been
The arachnotrons can get stuck hanging off the "cliff" and unable to retaliate quite easily, it seems. I don't know if monster-blocking lines will solve this or if you just need to make that area bigger to prevent this.

Uncle 80 - Slowness
Well, to be honest: as you suggested yourself the map feels like a ripoff... same monsters with pretty much same placement... there really isn't much new, it's a direct copy of Speed with some necessary changes made to cramp it into a 1024x1024 box. Some issues with the map itself:
- It seems like it could benefit from some monster-blocking lines on the ledges of stairs and the Plutonia-style teleport pad in the starting area so the imp or his corpse isn't floating in air.
- The Cyber just feels kind of pointless. In Speed you have to kill him to get the red key, here he feels more like a moving decoration you have to keep an eye on from time to time. And I'm not sure if there's even enough ammo to kill him.
- It's possible to jump to the exit with an easy sr50 jump. There's gotta be an impassable line or something.

Marcaek - A Map!
Minor but these pieces of ammo seem to placed very close to the wall. They are rendered as being inside the wall in OpenGL ports and in other ports they give me an illusion of floating in the air from a certain angle.

Breezeep said:

So, 40oz, have you reviewed that collab map made by me and Marcaek yet?

Not yet! theres a few maps that remain unplayed by me, but I'm sure I'll have time for it this weekend. I'm thrilled you guys are happy with how the map turned out! I'm excited to try it!

Keyboard_Doomer said:

the laziest motherfucker in the world

Hey! Worried I lost ya, but only because of how active this thread has been the last couple weeks.

I'm embarrassed I let those bugs slip by. Had no idea about the teleport issues in Fatalist, I'll have to check the one in surrounded. I guess I'm not a very good error checker. Thanks for catching them Keyboard_Doomer!

New Version

A lot of changes - difficulty level stays relatively constant. If I can beat it without any deaths on UV, I'm sure a good player should be able to handle it.

I took that base title pic that you guys made and added some green veins to the text, and a butt-ton of vines. I think I have a vine fetish. I also learned the "layers" tool in paint.net, holy crap that makes image editting easy.

IMO the magnifying glass gimmick 40oz thought of is a cooler idea though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56831507/Doom/plutinya-vines-title/plutinya-vines-title.zip

NoisyVelvet said:

I took that base title pic that you guys made and added some green veins to the text, and a butt-ton of vines. I think I have a vine fetish. I also learned the "layers" tool in paint.net, holy crap that makes image editting easy.

I like it! Nice work!

NoisyVelvet said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56831507/Doom/plutinya-vines-title/plutinya-vines-title.zip

I think this could work for a BOSSBACK too.

@walter confalonieri

The monsters in the water that are raised after picking up the red key can block your way with infinitely tall actors. They can also attack you - the chaingunner doesn't seem to be able to hurt the player but the imp can with both scratches and fireballs.

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Z0k - Surrounded
Your map has been already OK-ed so I hope I'm not too much of a pain in the ass... after you fixed the switch for the berserk secret it's now possible to switch it through the wall by simply trying to press the yellow switch second time. Seems only like a nice shortcut for a potentially useless powerup to me, though and I wouldn't mind much if it stayed unfixed :D

Hey dont worry about that, thats why i posted the map here to get the right feedback, about that secret, let me see what i can do about that. i tried right now to add passtruh on the yellow swicht and that would fix the bug.. if wouldnt make the secret swicht useless... then tried to add that property to the secret swicht and that dont fix it either.

so what i was thinking its probably to remove that secret and add a new one with a blue armor that players can get earlier so that will make it useful.

will work on it so probably will have the fix today.

NoisyVelvet said:

This could be the BOSSBACK. TITLEPIC would be the clear one...I guess?

Maybe also a CREDIT picture?

Also, why is my first map (sector of death) still on the list?

Updated my map: https://www.mediafire.com/?ym1skdu6kkab94k

Changes:

-removed the Beserk secret. and added a blue armor secret near where the chaingunner come out when the hell knight raise from the floor. the "secret" swicht that open the blue armor "blinks"

-Added block monster lines near where the player drop once he get the yellow keycard, this to avoid "Imps" (if the player dont kill them before to get the key) camping in the only exit that yellow card area have, so boom players dont get "trapped" there.

Count651

Pitfall: While the changes did make a difference, I'm finding this map a bit too claustrophobic with the quantity of disconnected areas and at the same time a bit hindered by the lack of super shotgun and tough monsters. There's some chaingun guys in here but still yet I'm finding this map softer than even the majority of Doom 2 IWAD maps, which is debatably easier than Plutonia Experiment.

Rook & Surreily

Nice work! I think I'm going to give the map a red sunset sky though, as I have trouble shaking the feeling that the SFALL sky is some kind of a HOM or some other glaring error while playing instead of an actual sky. You guys should decide on some music for the map too! Would D_SHAWN be too cliche? D_E2M8 could be cool too. Other than that, OK!

Marcaek

Looks cool! You certainly make the player work for the weapons here, at first I was kinda running around aimlessly. After finding the Super Shotgun the first time, the map became much more manageable. I think you could do with giving the player a handout weapon at the start, such as a regular shotgun or a berserk or something to shake any long pistol-running a player will have to endure on first attempt. I felt the map to be a little stingy on ammo too. I think the traps and fights were pretty good, although I wish I had a rocket launcher for some of the sniping monsters. A regular shotgun would probably do though. The changes in skill levels are pretty subtle. I'd probably do away with some of the sniping monsters on high ledges or put a megaarmor somewhere that's easy to reach on easy. In any case, with a free shotgun, some extra bullets and shells, and a little more contrast between difficulty levels, I think I could give this map an OK!

joe-ilya

Looking great! Only thing I'd say is that I liked how the hell knight and spectre could corner you in the switch area. When I said put vines in there, I meant inside the window looking outside, not blocking the monsters. Sorry I didn't make myself clear on that. Only other things I'd say is put some MIDBARS handrails sticking out of the ground around the remaining impassible lines, like the mountains where the yellow key is, and around the beach at the start (I know it doesn't make sense to have handrails around a beach, but it needs to make sense from a gameplay perspective so the player can see that he's not supposed to get there) I think the vines near the first shotgun could be replaces with those same handrails so it's easier to see the chaingun guy. Last thing is I think that soulsphere is a little too nice. When I said to put it in a secret, I meant you should make the player have to FIND it, by putting it on a pillar that he needs to jump to, or behind a hidden wall or door or something. Just sitting there right at the start of the first level seems a little silly for the first map. If you do all that I promise I won't bug you anymore about editing your map and I'll give it an OK! for MAP01 :)

Obsidian

Haha congratulations on figuring out a new way to make Archviles the fucking worst! >:| No idea how you're gonna be able to implement skill levels in something like this. Maybe an invulnerability in place of the BFG, or maybe a soulsphere dotted around here and there so the player can take a hit or two.
In regards to the map, I didn't feel comfortable suggesting anything to change the masochistic puzzle nature of the map, but in the very start, I think it might be fair to be able to see the archvile that you're supposed to avjump with. At first I couldn't tell where it was targetting me from, or that I was supposed to utilize it for a jump until landing in the teleport pad by accident. If it had a teleport GATEx ceiling it might make the mission a little more clear right from the start.

Breezeep & Marcaek

Nice work! I like this a lot! The scale is really impressive for a 1024 map, and found myself using and reusing a lot of the general area for each trap. Great usage of space and fun gameplay. On my first completion I finished with no thing but 6 rockets. I think it might be fair to include an extra shellbox or something somewhere. Other than that, great job, you two! That's about it to get an OK from me!

Ed

Nice work with the beefed up traps -- they work really well! Only thing that I found a little unfit was that the majority of those pesky sniping monsters are still there on lesser difficulties. You might want to flag a lot of those imps to only be on Hard to take the load off the player at being attacked from many different directions and heights at once right at the start of the level. That's about the only thing setting you back from an OK!
Are you still dead set on D_E3M8 for music? Honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving it in if you haven't thought of any alternate tracks.

walter confolonieri

Fun map! Looks good too! I too, noticed the monsters sunken in the water that can damage you and block you before the trap is activated, as Keyboard_Doomer said. Maybe instead of those monsters popping up when you get the red key, you could teleport some chaingunners in front of the blue skull key, so you can shoot them from across the start area :)
Other thing I wanted to point out is that the Red and Blue skullkey doors aren't very clearly marked. (I saw the red and blue torch afterwards, but this still isn't very clear) and the red torch blocks me from shooting the hell knights guarding the yellow key with the plasma gun :(
Otherwise, it's a really good map! Did you want D_E1M3 for the music? Or would you like to pick a different track from Doom or Doom 2?