Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ILLeGaL

ZDoomGL is too slow.

It's slow while loading, It's slow while playing, It's slow while loading MD2 files.

Any patch or any parameters to help it work on my P II 400 96 mb ram/XP Machine?

Thanks

Probably nothing will help.

Let me try to explain why.
I run Windows 2000. It requires slightly less memory than XP. I have around half of the OS services disabled, I run a small memory-footprint shell, and I have literally NOTHING beyond the basics loading at startup. No instant messengers, no virus scanners, nothing.

At startup, Windows 2000 is using around 60MB of memory. This is not typical, for the reasons mentioned above. It is more common for most end users to run Windows 2000 machines with over 80-90MB utilized at boot. Thus, to run games on Windows 2000, you need over 128MB of RAM, or disk paging will be CONSTANT. WinXP needs even more, because of its added graphical flash, and a couple other new features. In other words, you've pretty much got to be out of your mind if you expect to be running anything more graphically elaborate than, say, FreeCell on a machine with LESS than 128MB.

Sorry to break it to you, but memory is cheap, and NT-based operating systems (Windows 2000, WinXP, etc.) are dog slow on older systems, especially with such a small amount of RAM.

nah, problem is, he doesnt have a 3d accelerator, or he didnt download the beta 3dfx drivers (place opengl32.dll into your zdoomgl directory)

ILLeGaL said:

It's slow while loading, It's slow while playing, It's slow while loading MD2 files.

Any patch or any parameters to help it work on my P II 400 96 mb ram/XP Machine?

Thanks

Your system specs seem to cry to be updated. This is probably the main reason why it's so slow.
Also, you may want to be sure you have a 3D card. If not, ZDoomGL and all other GL ports will run very slowly-well under 5 FPS.
If you do, find a file called OPENGL32.DLL. Copy it to your Doom/ZDoomGL directory. Everything should then load up just a wee bit quicker. But if you've already done this, and it's still being slow, like I said, UPDATE.

DooMBoy said:

Your system specs seem to cry to be updated. This is probably the main reason why it's so slow.
Also, you may want to be sure you have a 3D card. If not, ZDoomGL and all other GL ports will run very slowly-well under 5 FPS.
If you do, find a file called OPENGL32.DLL. Copy it to your Doom/ZDoomGL directory. Everything should then load up just a wee bit quicker. But if you've already done this, and it's still being slow, like I said, UPDATE.

I have a CPU which is only slightly faster than ILLeGaL's. Its machine's CPU speed for a game like ZDoomGL is more than enough. For running ZDoomGL on Windows XP, though, ILLeGaL needs one hell of a lot more memory. ILLeGaL also didn't state whether or not a compatible 3D accelerator is present; if it's not, that will obviously slow it down to somewhere around 1 fps.

Old school ZDoomGL (as in, Kokak's) is slow anyway. Go play jDoom and compare speeds (preferably on a slow machine, where the speeds are low enough that the difference is noticeable). I'm hoping timmie will give us a much faster ZDoomGL. Perhaps he'll wind up reusing some rendering code from the Doomsday engine (on which jDoom runs). Who knows.

_argv[-1] said:

For running ZDoomGL on Windows XP, though, ILLeGaL needs one hell of a lot more memory.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. He's probably got less than 8MB of actual memory free, and even ZDoomGL uses more memory than that, so disk paging is going to be inevitable.