Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

I, uhh, kind of already implemented difficulties. :/ I'll take the Soulsphere idea into account though.

Obsidian, I suggest making the teleporter a bit higher. In GZDoom I was able to strafejump from the start to the pad without the arch vile. Devilish map man

40oz said:

Nice work! I think I'm going to give the map a red sunset sky though, as I have trouble shaking the feeling that the SFALL sky is some kind of a HOM or some other glaring error while playing instead of an actual sky. You guys should decide on some music for the map too! Would D_SHAWN be too cliche? D_E2M8 could be cool too.

I'm fine with the sky being changed, I agree it does look a bit strange for a Doom map. I also agree that D_E2M8 is a fine piece of music for this map! I was only using the default one because that's what it was when I got the map - I never thought to change it.

One more update: replaced the BFG with a Soulsphere on Easy, fixed some misalignment, made the first Arch-Vile more obvious, put a matching GATE ceiling flat above the teleporter and raised it slightly to avoid straferunning into it.

40oz said:

Breezeep & Marcaek[/b]

Nice work! I like this a lot! The scale is really impressive for a 1024 map, and found myself using and reusing a lot of the general area for each trap. Great usage of space and fun gameplay. On my first completion I finished with no thing but 6 rockets. I think it might be fair to include an extra shellbox or something somewhere. Other than that, great job, you two! That's about it to get an OK from me!

Ok, I've been working on V2 of this map before the reviews came in.
Here it is (V2 Download)

These are the changes:

*Replaced the Berserk powerup with the super armor.
*Made the map a little bit difficult.
*Added some more eyecandy beyond the 1024 area.
*Added a little more ammo and health.

Have at it.

Obsidian said:

Can you still straferun to the teleporter? :/

I think he meant by using diagonal-running in conjunction to zdoom's jump ability, which you can still do.

Personally, I think the lower the platform might end up being better. I personally like the vile jump a lot because the direction the vile always pushes your is always towards the teleporter. Unless you are resisting the jump by moving against the force pre-jump, or you are at the very ends of the "hotdog" shaped start sector, the vile jump will always throw you into the teleporter, startling the player and introducing the rest of the map in a cool way.

Also, if the player enters this map with rockets or plasma guns from a previous level, it is possible to kill the beginning arch vile.

You can just knock off pitfall from the map list, since you already ok'ed The Den. Can't say I have enough passion for pitfall to finish it.

--------------------
Breezeep & Marcaek
--------------------

I like this. Feels a lot bigger than the usable area actually is.

This map can't be MAP01, or after a death exit, because if you head in the direction of the teleporting Arch-Vile instead of flipping the lift switch, you're screwed. The yellow bars close behind you and all you have is a Pistol against Mancubi and a Revenant until after you grab the Yellow Key. You can snag a dropped Chaingun, but it's a tough go.

---
Missing texture issue at the top of the lifts. Can't tell which linedef it is.

http://i.imgur.com/rrSXuh5.png

---
There's a teleporting monster problem. Played this three times. Every time a lot of monsters never showed up. In each of the pictures I'm about to step on the level exit.

(BTW, the Start becomes the Exit? Elegant.)

http://i.imgur.com/O7GaBnx.png
http://i.imgur.com/HR4TBt2.png
http://i.imgur.com/vs55OYF.png

Obviously teleport landing spots were blocked. I think the second teleport linedefs in the closets that go back to the start of the moving floors are not working correctly. Don't understand why some monsters are getting stuck on the teleport destination linedefs with scrolling floors on both sides.

------------
Obsidian 3
------------

One question:

1. Assuming your map is not MAP01 and you have weapons and ammo from previous maps - Now that you can see him, what happens if you kill the first Arch-Vile?

http://i.imgur.com/JWn1u6u.png

The teleport would have to lower to your level so you could use it (I suppose you could rocket jump). Suggest either a G1 switch behind the AV, make the front of the angled cube an S1 switch to lower it, or make the front of the teleport a hidden switch to lower it.

---
The river changing to blood under your feet. I like it. And the waterfall too. Very nice.

---
So one Berserk is the only health, and 1/3rd of that goes away with the AV jump. So I can only take one shot from an AV and still live.

I have yet to finish the map legally on UV. I can avoid the AV in the tower and the one later on top of the column, but the second one, on the ground, always gets me. The best I did was finish with 12% health, and only because I made myself invisible in the "Speak and Die" room. That kept the second AV quiet until after I hit the Red Key switch. Even though it's frustrating the hell out of me, I really do like this; a pacifist Doom map. "The only winning move is not to play."

Update to Cybercage:

-Fixed everything 40oz said

Link is the same as in the first post.

Hey Breezeep, I made some minor changes to your last version there. The exit teleport effect was triggering late for some reason and I forgot to make some of the blood damaging so instead turned it into a ledge and swapped the rocketboxes out for individual rockets. Feel free to make any changes as usual. http://speedy.sh/4dS9m/PL1024-Breezeep-marcaek-v3.wad

Thanks Marcaek, but one problem is that most of the monsters aren't teleporting when they are supposed to. you plan on fixing this? because I'm not an expert at the types of boom stuff you did.

Breezeep: I'll give it another look.

In the meantime, I made some updates to my own map: http://speedy.sh/dgsQw/pl1024-marcaek-v2.wad

Effingham what port\settings are you using? I can't replicate any problems with PrBoom+ -complevel 9 which would be the appropriate compatibility settings for a Boom map.

EDIT: Ok, so ZDoom breaks it and using Boom (strict) compatibility doesn't help. The monsters get stuck on the line in ZDoom but I haven't once had the same problem in Prboom+ cl9. I guess I'll have to use some kind of hack.

EDIT2: Yeah, I'm not struggling to make a setup that's broken in either zdoom or boom work. I don't have the time to devote to it anyway, so if Breezeep is ok with it maybe someone else can try to make the setup work.

I was using ZDoom. To make sure it wasn't an 'older version' issue, I just downloaded the current version, 2.8-pre-585 and played it again. Same problem.

EDIT: I just saw you updated your post.

http://speedy.sh/aezUb/PL1024-Breezeep-marcaek-v4tux.wad

Tuxlar saves the day, thanks dood. Everything seems to work now and I swapped the rocket launcher with the red key to see if it feels more appropriate. I kinda liked the key sitting up on that tiny ledge but this way there's risk of the cacos guarding it if you aren't speedy.

And yes, I've noticed skill 2 on my map went horribly wrong. Will upload a fix probably tomorrow.

Marcaek said:

And yes, I've noticed skill 2 on my map went horribly wrong. Will upload a fix probably tomorrow.

A couple of things I noticed before you upload fixes.

The Hell Knight next to the secret teleport (lindef tag 7) can't move very much so he can only attack you if you're standing at certain angles. You can peekaboo shoot him from behind the wall to the west or move to the other side of him to the north so the wall is in his way and kill him without any risk. I don't know if you can increase the size of his area without going beyond the 1024 limit.

When you get in the Yellow Key Room, the Cacos can only hit you through the windows from a distance. Once they get close they don't move any lower so their shots always hit the top of the window. Making the windows taller would make them more dangerous. I don't know if they should be tall enough to let the Cacos come in or not.

The platform with the Revenants - On Easy, there's one. On Medium, there's one. On Hard, there's four. Two of the four are stuck to each other and none of them can move or attack. Not enough room.

Fellowzdoomer said:

This really isn't needed, is it?

It's not like it's gonna overflow the file size, it's just 4KB (2x times better then WOW.wad)

Anyways, here it is, quit the game when you're playing with Eternity or Boom or just about any source port that shows the ENDOOM screen, while the graphic is simple, it gives the idea.

https://www.mediafire.com/?mibxtw5gemg8rdv

How's this? - I think I'd like to use d_ultima as the BG music. A little change of mood, but it's ominous enough where I think it would work.