Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

Back to Saturn X: Episode 2?

Hi! I've heard a rumour on Twitter recently that we may finally be graced with BTSX Episode 2's release this coming August 31? Can anyone shed some light on whether this is true or not? Or should I just unfollow @doom_txt and hate them forever?

Reportedly.

Tuxlar said:

Alright guys, gotta use this as the official thread, now.

I've edited the thread title slightly to avoid confusion.

Aside from episode 2, I remember reading a rumor that episode 1 was going to be updated to include 2 new levels. Is there any truth to this?

Doom_user said:

Aside from episode 2, I remember reading a rumor that episode 1 was going to be updated to include 2 new levels. Is there any truth to this?

One new level, Bingo Pool Hall of Blood, was included in a public release. The other new level is a second secret map by Skillsaw, titled Optical Hopscotch, which isn't in any currently public version. I swear there will be another E1 release. Someday.

esselfortium said:

One new level, Bingo Pool Hall of Blood, was included in a public release. The other new level is a second secret map by Skillsaw, titled Optical Hopscotch, which isn't in any currently public version. I swear there will be another E1 release. Someday.

Awesome. Thanks for confirming this.

esselfortium said:

And thus, I will still hold off on ever playing it.

About time Episode 2 is coming. I loved the shit out of Episode 1.

Is the E2 release going to be final so that people can demo it? I know you guys want it to be perfect and all that, but you gotta stick a fork in it. :)
I'm looking forward to it.

TimeOfDeath said:

Is the E2 release going to be final so that people can demo it? I know you guys want it to be perfect and all that, but you gotta stick a fork in it. :)
I'm looking forward to it.

It's a public beta.

I thought maybe talk of a September Club playthrough was just a tease, but if it's not I am totally champing at the proverbial bit. Can't wait!

esselfortium said:

BPHoB was...weird. It just didn't seem to fit the rest of the WAD, thematically or gameplay-wise. But that's neither here nor there, I guess. I'm just super-excited to hear that another skillsaw map's being added! (I love me some skillsaw maps.)

bradharding said:

Or should I just unfollow @doom_txt and hate them forever?

I suggest hating them but still follow. It's what I do.

I'm looking forward to the updated (finalized?) version of "Get Out of My Stations" almost as much as to the beta of "Tower in the Fountain of Sparks." See what's changed, see if you guys got tired of all our bitching and moaning from way back when and augmented some levels' 'fuck-you factor', etc. That was one of the cool things about 'Bingo Pool Hall of Blood', it represented a major difficulty spike but showed that the mapset could support sudden temporary skews like that without feeling wrong or disjointed.

TimeOfDeath said:

That's one of the problems with the modern public testing trend. A beta of some cool wad is released so you get all excited about demoing it. Several months later the final version is finally available and you're interested in totally different things at this point.

And overall, I find it a bit unsatisfying that I mostly get to play betas nowadays. It just doesn't feel right when I know that I'm not playing the "real thing" but something a bit different, something that might break or be unbalanced somewhere, etc. You might say that nobody forces me to download betas but come on, how can I not download a promising wad when it is right there, waiting for me?

We could also talk about how too much player feedback might damage the individuality of levels due to mappers changing controversial parts but yeah, back to Back to Saturn X... Looking forward to playing it, hopefully praising too!

Thats why I dont play almost any new map these days. A new version always pops up. You never can be sure that the Ultra Turbo Super Bugfix Edition V7 Final Edition is...final

To be fair, that's also why multiple versions of E1 haven't come out; at some point it became silly to keep releasing new public betas and we've just held off for a finished product. It's taking way too long of course, there's always more to do. And things that probably won't get done like improved difficulty settings. And there's the development of the other episodes, jobs, school, etc for many of the people to consider.

But yeah it would be really nice if a 'final' E1 were forthcoming, it's been a long time.

E1 is stuck in v0.99999999, because ONE map is undergoing an overhaul that's proving way more tedious and demanding than even essel anticipated (and he's a glutton for tedious perfectionism). We already suspect he's megatexturing the entire thing. Everything else could be finished in a couple of days.

Memfis said:

That's one of the problems with the modern public testing trend. A beta of some cool wad is released so you get all excited about demoing it. Several months later the final version is finally available and you're interested in totally different things at this point.

On the other hand, there are situations when a team of inexperienced mappers rushes a megawad out the door, because they want their post-release glory already; besides, if we release it right now, we'll get a release date that somehow relates to the number 666!!!

The likely results: buggy broken wreck, questionable reputation, and you still have to release a fixed version that's actually playable, but you're too frustrated and disappointed to seriously work on it.

That's not always true. Pl-1024 is going through rigorous testing with some mappers releasing an average of 5 versions of their map since the start, has a release date that's a little over a month and a half since the project was announced and has accrued over 30 maps.

granted its a 1024 project, which are notorious for high volume, Im still certain that clear guidance, leadership, attention and time frames are what sees a project through in both quality and reasonable build time. I have other community project ideas that i intend to see through to completion in good time that I'll start soon after my current one get my full attention and is out the door.

Ragnor said:

Here we go AGAIN.

Actually I'm pretty sure Da Werecat was referring to the Monochrome Mapping Project, which we rushed out the door for the Doomworld Megawad Club to play & it was released on 6-june-2013. 2+0+1+3=6 so it was released 6-6-6. Also Doom 2 In Name Only wasn't a buggy wreck upon release, which MMP most certainly was.

so MMP is fixed now? i remember the first map being quite a visual pleasure, but the second one had tons of unknown actors in Zdoom, not to mention no music at all...

Doomhuntress said:

so MMP is fixed now?

Some serious stuff has been fixed. There were some fixes by map authors that I didn't include in the wad, because I grew sick of maintaining it alone. I'm not proud of it.

The updated versions are not on /idgames.

tons of unknown actors in Zdoom

Not a bug, the map is for GZDoom.

Doomhuntress said:

so MMP is fixed now? i remember the first map being quite a visual pleasure, but the second one had tons of unknown actors in Zdoom, not to mention no music at all...

Here was the last fix by Da Werecat http://www.solidfiles.com/d/5b6a7567fe/DWMMP1_sci3_dw21.wad

Fixes were made to:
Map 3
Map 4
Map 6
Map 11
Map 19
Map 20
Map 23
Music was added to my maps, which were 3, 6, 7, 11, 16, & 19 among others I think

Here is a fix to map 18 after Da Werecat stopped doing all of the fixes by himself http://www.solidfiles.com/d/befa7f9b7a/Monochromatic_Nightmare_v1.0.1.wad

This appears to be the only new fix that wasn't included in Da Werecats final version.

^
Do you think that last fix could be added to Da Werecat's last fix up and then put the thing up on idgames, at all? It seems a waste to allow it to languish in obscurity after all the work that you guys put into it... I, at least, think it deserves a more permanent home. :)