Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

RIP Robin Williams

He was one of the very first funny actors I became familiar with as a child. Of course he's struggled with drugs, alcohol and depression over the decades, but still... This comes as a surprise to me, I guess because of the persona he gave off. Very sad.

"Why couldn't it have been Bieber?"

In all honestly, he was a very funny actor/comedian and came across as a really awesome person. I loved all of his films as a youngster.

Best wishes to him and his family, the loss is felt by many.

How does a comedian with all the money in the world commit suicide? How could you possibly be depressed? I don't get it...

I wish I had that kind of money, but there's truth to the expression "money doesn't buy happiness" - He always had trouble with depression, it's true for many comedians/funny guys out there. The laughing hides the sadness.

As for what caused the depression, I have no idea. It could possibly be right down to brain chemistry.

I am not somebody whom thinks actors or musicians are special, but this is just so off beat and irritating. At that age nobody 100% healthy in ways of disease should suicide especially not when so succesfull...

R.I.P.

RUSH said:

How does a comedian with all the money in the world commit suicide? How could you possibly be depressed? I don't get it...

Depression is a psychological disorder. He was not thinking rationally.

I can't wait for this to turn into a thread pissing on his corpse for leaving behind sad loved ones like that dead Jew.

A friend told me about this earlier and I did not believe him. I actually find out alot of stuff like this because of Doomworld.

RIP

Serious feels on this one. Between the millions of laughs he inspired and the characters that dazzled me when I was both younger and older I am terribly sad to hear about this. RIP :(

I just found out about this during a Skype chat with my friends, and it's very sad news indeed. Robin Williams was such a great guy, and I remember him most as Genie from Disney's Aladdin. I also remember him from movies like Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire, Bicentennial Man and a few others. He was a great man indeed, and I'm shocked and sad he's gone. He went away too soon. My condolences go to his friends and family.

He had a mansion in the mountains right outside of my home town and he's probably the only major celebrity that I've seen in person (although I was too young to really remember much). I almost feel like I knew him.

RIP

Damn. I always do hear comedians suffer some bad depression, which is where they draw comedy from, or something, but damn. I like some of his films, like Aladdin and Jumanji.

It's strange... I mean, I was sad when Bob Hoskins died, too, but that was more on an intellectual level - this great actor is dead. With Robin Williams, though, it hits me right in the heart, almost like I knew him personally. Maybe it's how he came across in his acting - he had a way of connecting with his audience, so you almost feel like you knew him. Oh sure, he had his way of going over the top, but everyone had at least one Robin Williams performance they absolutely adored. He was just that kind of guy.

As for the depression, I mean that I can absolutely understand. It's so hard to wrap your head around that way of thinking, though, that I understand why people don't get it. It's - something goes wrong in your brain, making you feel miserable despite your circumstances, and honestly, that in itself can act as a sort of feedback loop. Just try to imagine feeling utterly miserable, but knowing you have no reason to - how incredibly frustrating that might feel. I'm sure he'd tried everything he could think of to bring himself out of it - hell, hence the drug problems. But what do you do when you're feeling miserable, and you know you have nothing to be miserable about? How do you cope? Normally, it's simple - find something to cheer you up. But if you have nothing to be miserable about in the first place, how's that gonna work? How can you cheer yourself up when, by all accounts, you already should be cheered up? I just... I have friends and family who've suffered depression, and I at least want to try to help make it clear what's going on, why it does what it does.

Or here's another way to look at it - imagine you felt this horrible pain, like you'd broken your foot. However, you look at your foot, and it looks fine, your toes all move like nothing's wrong, but the pain's still there. You go to the doctor, get an X-ray, and still there's no explanation for the pain, but no matter what you do, the pain is unbearable. You can't walk on it anymore, which just makes you look even more like an idiot because there's physically nothing wrong, but it just won't go away. Depression works kinda like that, but for the mind - you have all these feelings we normally associate with some horrible event in your life, but nothing to explain them, and it can be hard even with proper treatment to make those feelings go away - and moreover, because it's your mind, it's easy to believe that it's somehow your fault you have those feelings. After all, surely you're in control of your own mind and your own feelings, right?

Sorry for going off on a tangent... just... damn, this is just such a horrible thing.

Of all the celebrity deaths that I've read about through the years, this one shocked me and sank my heart the most.

#

TheCupboard said:

He was a very warm man. This one is really too sad to hear.

He was so intense in a lovable way. He was also a sweetheart of all the nerds, because he was openly an avid gamer.

I can't help feeling cheated out of all the Old Man Robin performances he'd yet grow into and we won't see.

I remember a comedian once making a joke about how all comedians suffer from depression, that's why comedians can't make fun of other comedians, because they'll get depressed and kill themselves. He then added, if a comedian didn't have depression, they'd be a functioning member of society with a real job and not a comedian.

For anyone that killed themselves, I'm surprised he did it at 63 and not earlier. Maybe his show was canceled when it was supposedly renewed. Maybe it was just booze.

I know I guy that knew him back in the early 80s. He said he as out of his mind.

Very sad he took his own life.

RIP

My favorite movie by him was Popeye.

EDIT: A Popeye WAD would actually be pretty funny. You can replace the Berserker packs with cans of spinach.