Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Doom 3 is ten

Happy birthday Doom 3! You have aged well, playing BFG version every now and then is a blast!

Aged well is right - even vanilla Doom 3 still has this dark, chilling quality to it. Maybe the nostalgia factor is affecting me but I can't help but feel Doom 3 is truly a unique game.

Doom 3 is definitely a good game - I played it a number of years after the original release and still enjoyed it. I think it just doesn't have much replay value to it, but the first playthrough is AMAZING. I still remember eagerly wanting to know what the hell (hehe...) happened in Delta Labs 4, because it gets referenced a number of times throughout earlier levels.

Doom 3 may not have its predecessors' longevity, but it's nowhere near a bad title.

EDIT:

A related video by gamespot for Doom 3's anniversary:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-doom-3-is-ten-years-old/2300-6420592/

I really don't like how they always make post-Doom 3 games seem complete garbage. Quake 4 wasn't popular, because everybody associates Quake with multiplayer, and the fourth installment in that matter was just "Quake 3 with higher system requirements". Quake 4's single player was very good.

The same can be said for Rage - had it not been for initial hardware problems with AMD cards, the game would have probably been a big success.

I think it's a shame that it didn't even get a mention on the news page. While not a perfect Doom game I consider it worthy addition to the series...if only for the graphics and atmosphere. I think people should ignore what the internet says about it and just give it a chance and see what it COULD have been.

Speaking of Doom game anniversaries, it looks like Doom 64 will be 20 some time in 2017.

Patrol1985 said:

I still remember eagerly wanting to know what the hell (hehe...) happened in Delta Labs 4, because it gets referenced a number of times throughout earlier levels.

I remember this from my first playthrough as well. You hear some stuff about Delta Labs early, and you find references to it in PDAs and such. When you first get there, power is out and you see/hear demons nearby but don't fight any until a few minutes in, which I thought was a brilliant buildup of suspense. As you progress through Delta it feels more and more like the demons have taken over. Then you open that first door to Delta 4 and it's a fucking mess. Well done. Another cool part is when you teleport back there in ROE.

The game had it's flaws, but all in all I love it as a modern adaptation of Doom. I still play it occasionally, in fact just finished a run through recently. Fuck the BFG Edition though. Play the original version if you haven't yet.

I feel Doom3 is a game that has aged well. While I do think the first person shooter genre is showing signs of improvement, I can't find many (if any) shooters post the 2004 trio that are better.

I started playing Doom 3 again yesterday, just got up to Enpro today. It still is a very enjoyable game and honestly I think the only single player FPSs that have surpassed Doom 3 in terms of enjoyment over the past 10 years were Half Life 2, Bioshock, and Far Cry 3. The graphics have also aged well, and now I can play on Ultra, which was almost impossible when the game first launched.

Can't believe it's been 10 years already though, I was going into my sophomore year in High School when it first came out.

Shit, I was in college when Doom 3 came out, and it doesn't feel that long ago. I kinda feel like Doom 3 actually kinda got better with time. I mean, when it first came out, all I can remember, and all anyone seemed to talk about, were all the ways Doom 3 let us down, partly because it had been hyped up so much as a result of its long development time. And yeah, there were some quirks of the gameplay we didn't much care for, like monster closets and the pervasive darkness, but it's held up damn well I think, and like I said, I believe it's actually gotten better because with time, we were able to move past that initial disappointment caused by all the hype. The action is good, the atmosphere is good, it's got plenty of creative monsters, like we'd expect from a Doom game... whatever flaws it might have, at no point do they ever get in the way of having a good time. At worst, it's, "Oh, that cliche again," as opposed to other kinds of potential flaws, like insane difficulty spikes or game-breaking bugs. I've been replaying it recently, actually, and I should probably get back to it, even though I keep getting distracted by other things.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the buildup to the Delta Labs, damn, whatever else Doom 3 did, I think it handled that aspect incredibly well. I do love how you keep getting little hints about Delta Lab all throughout the game, making you wonder what you'll find when you finally get there, and it doesn't disappoint.

I remember looking at screenshots in PC Gamer before it was released thinking how stunning it was but I would never be able to run it looking like that. Then I bought it day one. I got home, installed it and it DID look like the screenshots! A beautiful game with amazing system requirements. Other devs could learn a lot from that alone...

The only disappointment in D3 for me was the lack of secrets and a secret count per map. I really thought that took a great deal away from replay value. Other than that, a fantastic game with great atmosphere though it will always be Doom 4 to me. Doom 64 is the real Doom 3 in my mind. :)

Doom 3 is not bad at all and the ROE expansion is actually better in some regards, since it has both the classic lost soul design and the super shotty. Both games are above average FPSs, but neither compare to the original, as you'll feel little incentive to replay the campaign, as has already been observed.

Both are oozing with atmosphere, the incredible lighting system still looks good and the art direction is, in many ways, still fresh today. The problems are mostly minor, but there's so many of them, they add up rather quickly. Most notably, Doom 3 failed to have compelling monster designs, failed to make the weapons feel powerful, failed in terms of sound design (although some of the effects and much of the in-game music is great), failed to make combat anything other than small scale and intimate (which is fine, but shouldn't define every single battle), failed to incorporate a plot into the narrative that matched the gritty aesthetic, and failed to develop non-linear maps, as there was only an artificial sense of exploration.

You end up with a game that has a con to every pro.

GoatLord said:

Doom 3 failed to have compelling monster designs

I disagree.

classic lost soul design in ROE

Looks very boring to me, to be honest. I believe it's possible to stylize the classic skull for Doom 3 and get something creepy and/or memorable, but I don't think they tried hard enough.

This is one game out of the history books of gaming, even though short lived, its graphical and gameplay impact was not small to say the least.
Now it almost seems like rocket science for them to pull that off on 500mb graphics cards and a 1.80ghz single core... i have seen modern engines unable to render a game with 2006 graphics without needing a dual core or quad core with a 1 gigabyte gfx card.

GoatLord said:
Doom 3 failed to have compelling monster designs [/B]

I love the monster designs in Doom 3. Many of the old favorites were still easily recognizable, but they got creative instead of simply making 3D models of the old monsters.

Da Werecat said:

I disagree.

Looks very boring to me, to be honest. I believe it's possible to stylize the classic skull for Doom 3 and get something creepy and/or memorable, but I don't think they tried hard enough.

I personally love Doom 3's lost soul, it seems like that's the only monster they got genuinely creative with while still remaining true to the original design.

Edit:

Actually, the Arch-vile, Guardian, Sabaoth, Vagary, Maledict, Vulgar and Trite were all really good designs.

the monster designs are cool, the problem is that they're so monotonously coloured. it's all shades of grey and brown, which makes the monsters look rather unappealing.

Doomhuntress said:

the monster designs are cool, the problem is that they're so monotonously coloured. it's all shades of grey and brown, which makes the monsters look rather unappealing.

Of course the monsters are supposed to be unappealing, their supposed to be vile and scary creatures.

Doominator2 said:

Of course the monsters are supposed to be unappealing, their supposed to be vile and scary creatures.

i meant unappealing in an aesthetic sense. the designs are uninteresting to look at because the colours are all so dull. compared to Doom's bestiary, it's a plethora of coloured beasts that makes them all pop out and bring attention to them. i suppose them looking so drab would help hiding them in the dark environments...

Doomhuntress said:

i meant unappealing in an aesthetic sense. the designs are uninteresting to look at because the colours are all so dull. compared to Doom's bestiary, it's a plethora of coloured beasts that makes them all pop out and bring attention to them. i suppose them looking so drab would help hiding them in the dark environments...

Some of them look cool, like the Imp, Pinky and Hell Knight.

Doomhuntress said:

the designs are uninteresting to look at because the colours are all so dull.

That's rather one-dimensional.

Doomhuntress said:

I disagree about them being unappealing due to the colors being dull.

If that was the case, this wouldn't look like the infected ass of a celebes crested macaque

Looking back on it, some of the designs are pretty good. The mancubus, demon, maggot, hell knight and most of the zombies are interesting. The rest are kind of whatever. I think the issues I have with them overall is that A) There is very little variety in their color palettes, with some of them using the same small range of hues across their entire skin, and B) Sometimes it feels like the enemy is just a human with a couple of oddball features, rather than some otherworldly monster.

I thought the imp, pinky and hell knight were cool. Would have been even beter if they were the only gray monsters