Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

[WIP] Doom 2 texture project

(I already posted an earlier version of this in the custom texture thread on the ZDoom forums, but I figured I ought to post it here so it gets a little more attention.)

This texture pack started out in celebration of Doom 2's birthday later in the year, and was originally intended simply to "fill in the gaps" in the Doom 2 texture naming scheme. For instance, RW11_4, RW13_2 through RW13_4, RW14_2 through RW14_4 and the entire set of RW17 textures are missing from the commercially released .wad.

Since most of the non-animated RROCK and SLIME textures are based on wall textures found in the released .wad, it's a safe bet to say that the others were based on textures that were removed. I've now added wall versions of most of these, such as RROCK01, RROCK02, and RROCK16, however I have done more than simply copy and paste the flat twice - the bottom half of each new texture is unique from the bottom half.

From there I just started guessing at some of the stuff that might have been cut, and later on I started going through my previous texture sets (released and unreleased) as well as those of other people whose stuff is free for use, for stuff that had the "Doom 2 vibe". It soon became apparent that I was going to exceed the number of missing textures (56 IIRC), and so set myself a limit of 128 new patches. This limit was itself quickly exceeded as I had more and more ideas for textures. The number is currently sitting at 290, and there are still a few more I intend to work on (hence the WIP).

You will see a few familiar textures in this pack, however most of those taken from earlier texture sets and projects have either been heavily tweaked, or completely remade.

Anyhow, without further ado here is the download link. Below is a preview of some of the new stuff - even more are available on the last few pages of the custom texture thread.

Credits go to Cage, Eriance, Espi, Laz Rojas, Martin Howe, Thomas Möller, Hipnotic Software, and of course ID Software. There's no text file yet, but go crazy with this stuff :).

Spoiler

Downloaded and took a look inside. The textures are awesome. Thanks for releasing them packed in one place.

I don't really have anything more to say, but I thought it'd be fair to simply inform you that somebody even care (these threads sometimes tend to be empty), and that I'll very likely find this pack useful in the future.

The preview stuff sure looks awesome, very useful and nicely done.
I'm pretty sure it will put into use very quickly. good job.

Very nice stuff.

Do a favor and please consider including a listing that explicitly tells which of the authors did which patches in the final version. Helps with crediting for someone like me who likes to pick and choose from multiple texture packs to come up with a custom resource.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Do a favor and please consider including a listing that explicitly tells which of the authors did which patches in the final version. Helps with crediting for someone like me who likes to pick and choose from multiple texture packs to come up with a custom resource.

The finished version will have a text file with details of individual textures, including a brief description and credits. For now, here are the specific credits:

Cage's texture pack: RW55_1 and RW84_4. Both have been modified.

Cage's texture pack 2: RW73_4, RW95_1, RW95_2, RW95_3, RW95_4. RW90_2 is a recolour of the former texture.

Laz Rojas / Wolfendoom (originally from the Mac port of Wolfenstein 3D): All WOLF textures except WOLF8 and WOLF30, plus the blood splats on RW35_3 and RW35_4.

Eriance / Demon Eclipse: RW70_1, RW70_2, RW73_1, RW73_2, and RW73_3. RW89_3, RW89_4, and RW90_1 are recolours of the latter three.

Espi / Suspended in Dusk: RW70_3 and RW70_4.

Hipnotic Software / Scourge of Armagon: The decals on RW94_5.

Martin Howe / Panels of Peril: RW96_4, RW97_1, RW97_2, and RW97_3. All have been modified.

Thomas Möller / Memento Mori 2: RW73_5. RW90_3 is a recolour of this texture.

Tango said:

awesome. considering giving the flats a similar treatment? :p

A lot of the stuff I would include is already in my Useful Flats texture pack, however there are a few more I'd like to do so I'll chuck them in at some point.

I also plan on doing a Doom 1 textures pack in the near future; pretty much everything I want to include has already been created, it just all needs compiling.

I've just uploaded a new version of the texture pack (link in the first post). There are a couple of new textures, but the more obvious change is that it now has flats - 112 of them to be precise.

Credits for the flats: SLIME38 - SLIME41 are from Cage's texture pack, and WIRE1 - WIRE4 are from Suspended in Dusk. All others were created by yours truly.

Hey NM. I've actually employed two of your texture packs for my current project (also due for Doom 2's 20th anniversary).

I've seen a personal need to make variations of METAL2, so it can be used on 32 high floors/ ceilings. If you think that might be a useful texture then it might be a worthwhile inclusion.

It's very nice to see you again.

Congratulations to your 5000th post, NiGHTMARE! And to the great looking flats as well. Thanks for those. :)

I'm sorry to bump this old thread, but I've got a bug report of sorts.

After a good summerbreak where my creativeness has been a bit low regarding level making, I fired up DB and started a D2 level. And these textures seemed like a good way to get started!

But, when I load the level, PrBoom tells me that "R_TextureNumForName: LFALL4 not found". Now, looking in at in Slade, I can see that LFALL4 is missing from the TEXTURE1 lump.

Maybe you should look into. I can probably fix it myself, but that won't exactly help others who want to use these awesome textures :) I haven't checked if there are other missing entries.

Just thought I'd let you know. And please, if there's something I've misunderstood entirely, then please correct me.

prboom is easy to crash with improper texture lump-ij, while zdoom and other ports will just ignore the error. I would say just fire up your level in zdoom for now, or fix/delete the LFALL4 texture issue yourself (probably it's missing a patch?)

Some good stuff in this wad NiGHTMARE, looking forward to playing around with it, hope you keep up the good work ;-)

Awesome job on these! :D One texture I've always wanted to see is a bigger solid wooden texture similar to the Gothic texture pack (the darker one with the bars across top and bottom)

Right, so I got it working. There were a couple of other bugs as well. If Nightmare doesn't see my bug-report and someone else wants to use the texture pack, but can't fix the bugs, then please send me a PM or mail, and I'll send my version of the pwad.