Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Resurgence - Boom Compatible Megawad [Final Version Released] - Idgames link up!

Phobus said:

This looks like quite an improvement on Surge from the screen shots, I look forwards to checking it out. Try to avoid having enemies rise out of solid floors, please :p

That has to happen every now and then, sorry! :P

Just an update, I finished the last map (Map30) with barely any motivation left, so that's all the maps done for the megawad. Keep an eye out for the public beta (hopefully) within the next week or so!

Nice news indeed. Hopefully your lack of motivation won't be too noticeable in terms of map quality, but in any case I think we can expect some dynamic fun from these levels. Seems like exciting times are ahead, with multiple promising projects nearing completion.

*Puts an imaginary cyberdemon on each island on screenshot #1*
Arrrite...

Memfis said:

Seems like exciting times are ahead, with multiple promising projects nearing completion.

Indeed. One megawad done (basically), three more to go. Will they be out this year? Who knows.

Demonologist said:

Indeed. One megawad done (basically), three more to go. Will they be out this year? Who knows.

Well, mine will be out next year-ish.

Archi said:

Any news about public beta? :)

Sorry, I've had several crap happening in RL, I'll be trying my best to get a public version out as soon as possible. :-)

Also Joshy's one week announcement was very optimistic, seeing as he only then sent out the last few maps to the testers. :)

dew said:

Also Joshy's one week announcement was very optimistic, seeing as he only then sent out the last few maps to the testers. :)

Certainly an overly optimistic overestimation, my bad. :(

It's time guys, really sorry for that extra delay.

-PUBLIC BETA READY-

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vuc8xdq0b5oi5l0/Resurgence-beta1.zip

Time for some bug-testing and squashing! Map28-30 is not exactly polished (no difficulty settings) so don't be surprised if the gameplay balance is not optimised or there are some deadly bugs. Co-operative settings are implemented but it may be too extreme, please let me know your suggestions on the co-op gameplay.

I'll get around to fixing up the bugs and push for a final release in a month or two when I have the time and motivation to do so. Hopefully you guys will enjoy at least parts of the megawad!

Quick text-file error: you say the command line should be "boom -iwad doom2.wad -file resurgence.wad", but you changed the filename on this version to Resurgence-beta1.wad

Quick bug on map 03: since those platforms don't have block monster lines, you can knock the monsters into the lava with rocket splash (imps are particularly prone to this on non-fatal splashes). This is bad with infinity tallness.

Of course, monster block lines would break the Lost Souls and the PE... just another good reason to get rid of those.

Just a heads up that the reds (blood textures and a bit of the sky) is a bit borked I think (thanks Mechadon for pointing that out), I don't think I handled the conversion of the colour palette well, so it won't stay as it is in the future update.

Yay, thanks for hours of fun ahead!
Quick question: will everything look OK if I delete the new palette (annoying modern trend in mapping for me) or are there some graphics that depend on it?

Memfis said:

Yay, thanks for hours of fun ahead!
Quick question: will everything look OK if I delete the new palette (annoying modern trend in mapping for me) or are there some graphics that depend on it?

I don't think there are graphics that depend on it so it should be fine, see for yourself perhaps?

First map is surprisingly evil for the basic enemies it contains. ah, it hurts to see good stuff come out that's so far above my skill level! time to grind these levels until I go mad.

3 maps in and I'm finding being under constant fire by Imps to be more irritating than challenging, so hopefully that's something that eases or changes as you go through because otherwise I'm quite enjoying this.

This is some cacowards winning material right here, fucking awesome stuff. I'm terrible at finding bugs but if you need FDAs or demos then I'll be happy to provide those.

Definitely enjoying it so far, luckily no problems without the new palette. But here are some complaints. :D

Spoiler

map01 - too much of barely visible enemies is too much. To reduce the dickishness I would change most of the spectres to demons and leave maybe only one or two. That way you could trick the player into thinking that he killed them all and then CRUNCH! Clever and far less annoying.

map02 - ten yellow bars around the exit look inelegant to me ("ohh, ohh, we need to block this place so badly!"), I would replace them with three switch-like 64x16 structures. The Scythe 2 Map01 ripoff room is too ripoffish for my taste, some retexturing wouldn't hurt.

map03 - Inelegant solution with the exit switches: you have scrollers and voodoo dolls, you don't need two presses for one action. The bars that block the exit are also very cheap (non-creative) looking. I would say three keys aren't necessary in this map: nothing at all happens while you're collecting the YK and BK after killing everything, so why not remove them completely? I also dislike how there are no safe teleporters back to the cave entrance and you are forced to use the escape teleporters made for the losers that fell in lava.

map04 - Very unobvious way to exit, I was too busy dealing with the arch-vile to notice that some platforms back there moved and then spent a while wondering where to go next. I would highlight the platforms somehow ("this way dumbass!").

map05 - Cramped cyberdemon rooms aren't good places for wall detail that sticks out. I would definitely remove the little black stone columns. Inelegant blocking support bars once again (the ones before the cyber), I would replace them with 32x32 Plutonia skull textures at least. METAL texture near a red torch is poorly aligned.

map06 - Starts where you have to get a weapon from a group of shotgunners are generally bad (too luck based) in my opinion, I would place a shotgun or at least some barrels to make the fight more controllable. Lack of SSG hurts the gameplay before you get the rocket launcher, it's a little too slow, especially with the mancubi. More barrels? Some imps in the final area are deaf and might not notice you immediately: looks funny when after the battle you enter their hideout and find 3-4 more imps.