Black Sheep - a sort of Doom 3 gameplay mod

How do you feel about this thing?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this thing?

• It's an abomination.
    • It's cool.
    • It's not like Doom 3 at all.
    • It needs its own levels.
    • I don't like it because I dislike those Doom 3 "elements".
    • I like it for the Doom 3 "elements".

I've made this out of pure momentary enthusiasm during the last 2 days :). It may or may not be worth your time and bandwidth (it has 2MB zipped, 9MB unzipped). It's meant to be a half-parody, but it's no jokewad, it can actually be seriously played for a long time. Anyway:

Black sheep is a slightly-inserious gameplay mod that tries to get a Doom 3 feel into the classic games. It will work with any Doom IWAD and any source port, even in vanilla engine. It will also perfectly work with PWADs that use stock textures only. Warning, PWADs with custom patches and textures might not look right with this mod. When running PWADs, load this mod after the PWAD.

Features:

• Almost every texture becomes dark and grey. (Replacements for most graphic patches in all 4 Doom IWADs.)
  • Replacement sprites for Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Imp, Pinky Demon, Hell Knight and SS Nazi.
  • Music removed.
  • Things will appear highlighted.
  • Switch textures and some light source textures will appear highlighted.
The last 2 points: They actually won't be highlighted, they won't be changed at all, the trick is in the other textures becoming darker. I keep this effect for the sake of simplicity and to prevent annoying gameplay in darkness.

For the sake of universal compatibility and preserving classic Doom spirit, the mod
intentionally contains:
  • No TEXTURE1 lump.
  • No palette change.
  • No changes to weapons.
  • No behavioral changes to monsters.
  • No DEHACKED at all.
Credits:

D3 zombie sprites by Ghastly Dragon. (from Realm667.com, Scalliano's R667 Shuffle)
D3 imp sprites by Captain Toenail. (from Scoredoom Addon Pack)
Blood demon sprites by Neoworm and Vader. (from Realm667.com)
Blood demon death sprites by ItsNatureToDie. (from Obsidian's HYDRA.wad)
Base graphic patches taken from DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD.
Empty music tracks by 1337 Doomer (from Brutalist Doom mod).
Graphic recoloring completely done by scifista42.
Nazi replacement sounds and some menu graphics by scifista42.

That's all, I think. Have fun. Let me know how you feel about this. I may fix problems if they arise. I've also imagined how this kind of thing would be if it had its own levels (in a separate wad), but I know I wouldn't manage to keep my enthusiasm to make the levels - probably.

/IDGAMES DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=graphics/blacks3.zip

Screenshots:

This looks fucking amazing. I should also add that whilst reading the topic and stumbling across these:

No changes to weapons.
No behavioral changes to monsters.

Has made me a very happy man. Now, (and I am only going by screenshots here), but some parts look a little too dark. I am also not too sure about the sound of music being removed but I can understand that will help with the setting of the atmosphere. It will certainly make a pleasant change from seeing the old graphics whilst still retaining the core game play.

Some of the stock textures actually look pretty cool when recolored to grayscale.. I'll probably steal that redrock and use it for something :D

Anyhow, the extreme super grayness makes the little bits of remaining color stick out semi-obnoxiously: exit signs, health potions, bright green torches etc. Easily fixed by desaturating those ranges in the palette, but I see that's outside the scope of the project.

Also I see you kept a lot of reds in the mix, mostly blood flats, so why not leave the crackle red as well? http://imgur.com/a/NpBDM <-- slightly more garish than normal now :p

plums said:

Inspired at all by the recently-uploaded Brutalist Doom?

No, I didn't know about it. I got my idea after randomly recoloring a couple textures to grey, and imagining what if ALL of the textures were grey. :)

Ribbiks: Keeping that flat red would possibly make garish-looking places elsewhere, that's why I decided to leave colors only on light sources and significant objects, and as little as possible. I think it's good that colors stick out (so there's not a complete grayscale), I don't want to fix it anyhow.

A quick note: ItsNatureToDie on the ZDoom forums whipped up some death sprites for the Blood Demon that mirrored the original Demon's death sprites. You might want to use those instead of the current one where it's arm vanishes into the ether: I used them in Hydra if you can't be bothered manually cutting up a sprite sheet.

You could replace the armor bonus to a brown armor shard.
Recolor some stuff.
Green armor = brown armor
Megaarmor = red armor
Keys = black, grey, white.
Torches = ^

@Obsidian: Thanks, I will use it. I like the Blood Demon's death position, though, but if you say the arm matters...

@joe-ilya: I've learned that going too excessive with random custom content doesn't always do well to the playability. I'll better keep just the changes that are to the point. Doom pickups and torches are good as they are, I wouldn't risk to alter them. Not to mention desaturated key colors, that's a no. Doom keys need colors.

joe-ilya said:

You should keep the blood splats red.

I didn't change blood splats. I've even tried to keep bloody textures red. What are you talking about that I possibly forgot?

scifista42 said:

I didn't change blood splats. I've even tried to keep bloody textures red. What are you talking about that I possibly forgot?

The one's on the WOODMAT's.

Hmm. It kinda hurts my eyes, everything being so greyscale. I suppose I was hoping for thinks to be really darkened/desaturated, but not to the point of being entirely grey. Makes the non-recolored stuff really pop, almost too much. And not a fan of removing the music - just have the player turn it off instead. :/

I really like this. I played through Doom episode 3 using this, Eriguns and a pk3 containing the fire sky from the PSX port in GZDoom. It felt like a really surreal port of the game! A really cool experience all in all. Looking forward to playing through some other vanilla WADs with this combo. Thanks for making this. :)

@Magnusblitz: I'll keep darkness, contrast and no music, because it's the point. Intentional Doom 3 exaggeration, while still a reasonable one. :)
@Average: I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Thanks for your appraise.

Thanks everybody for input.

New download link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/qvwon3

Changes:
-Fixed colouring of couple textures, namely WOODMET3, WOODMET4 and SPCDOOR3.
-Fixed empty MIDI tracks, they work in vanilla now.
-Removed redundant computer screen patches from the wad (TSCRN*)
-Included new demon death sprites by ItsNatureToDie.

I don't know what next, so unless I start mapping, and I probably won't, I'll submit this mod to /idgames as it is.

scifista42 said:

@Magnusblitz: I'll keep darkness, contrast and no music, because it's the point. Intentional Doom 3 exaggeration, while still a reasonable one. :)

The darkness is fine, but Doom 3 isn't greyscale (there's a LOT of orange and teal, especially, it came out when that was the popular color scheme). And it does have music, as well as a lot of atmospheric noises. That's my main problem with the mod... everything feels strangely silent and empty, and not in a good way. I'd try replacing the MIDIs with something a bit more atmospheric and quiet, not just eliminate it.

I dunno, I know you've said it's parody, but it feels a bit too far an exaggeration/off-the-mark to work that way for me.

@Magnusblitz: You could always play the mod along with something the PSXSM.WAD. I can't remember who made it but it's a great PSX Doom sound-alike (though calling it that is doing is a disservice). :)

Also, I think the point of choosing to do the mod in greyscale is too create a little parody of D3. It's a pity it hurts your eyes. I do understand though as I get a lot of eyestrain from playing a lot of really dark maps in software... Do you use an OGL renderer?

I like it.

At the beginning, the visual theme reminded me of Satanic. It certainly looks very good with some pwads (Requiem, MM), but some others (AV, Cyberdreams), well, I'm not sure. But anyway, it's a great mod.

Oh, and I voted for option 2.