Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

How to properly make a silent MIDI?

Here is a MIDI track of complete silence, which I've created a while ago using MidiEditor (or maybe Sekaiju, I can't remember). When I use it as a wad music, it works in every source port including Chocolate Doom, but vanilla engine freezes upon loading a map containing this music. I'd like the wad to be vanilla-compatible, though.

Can anyone take a look and tell me what's wrong with this MIDI, and how do I make a proper vanilla-compatible empty MIDI, please?

Thanks, I'm going to take it. I'm still curious what's the problem, though. I don't really understand MIDI editing, making an empty file is the peak of my skill. When I compare the Brutalist MIDI with my MIDI, they seem the same except some header details and I don't understand the meaning of those. Does anybody experienced know where's the critical difference?

My MIDI (not working in vanilla)
Brutalist MIDI (working in vanilla)

The Brutalist Doom MIDI actually has some notes in it, a kick drum, though the channel volume is set to 0 so you hear nothing. I don't know if that's what makes the difference or not, but you could try adding a silent note to yours and see if it works in vanilla.

I don't really know how doom handles midi files, but I like poking around with things so I'll hazard some guesses.

Here's the metadata for your mid:

Spoiler

<external name="/Users/zach/Downloads/SILENCE.mid" size="55" midiformat="1" numtracks="1" resolution="192">

<global metaeventtext="New Track" tempo="120.00" tempoChanges="1" meter="4/4(0)" meterChanges="1" key="$" keyChanges="0" instruments="-1" percussion="-1" duration="0.00" hasSysEx="0">

<track metaeventtext="New Track" channel="-1" duration="3840" durationRate="1.00" occupation="0" occupationRate="0.00" polyphonyDurationRate="0.00" maxPolyphony="0" avgPolyphony="0.00" lowpitch="-1" highpitch="-1" modulations="0" afterTouches="0" pitchBends="0" programChanges="$">

and the brutalist mid:
Spoiler

<external name="/Users/zach/Downloads/D_READ_M.mid" size="62" midiformat="1" numtracks="1" resolution="48">

<global metaeventtext="$" tempo="-1.00" tempoChanges="0" meter="" meterChanges="0" key="$" keyChanges="0" instruments="-1" percussion="1" duration="160.00" hasSysEx="0">
<comments></comments>

<track metaeventtext="$" channel="10" duration="161" durationRate="1.00" occupation="80" occupationRate="0.50" polyphonyDurationRate="0.00" maxPolyphony="1" avgPolyphony="1.00" lowpitch="35" highpitch="35" modulations="0" afterTouches="0" pitchBends="0" programChanges="$">

the notable difference would appear to be that D_READ_M actually contains a track which contains a note (presumably at 0 velocity as to be inaudible). Maybe vanilla doom doesn't handle the case where it's handed a file with nothing to play in it.

EDIT: heh plums beat me to it.

You were (both) right, adding one note in a 0-volume channel solved it, thanks. I'm going to use the Brutalist MIDI anyways, since it's a smaller file than I managed to make. (I'm including it in the wad multiple times to replace all map's music.)

I'm curious about this. Do you plan on making a map especifically designed with no music for it? Sorry, I know this is the oppossite of a helpful reply, but as one of the very, very few people in here that plays routinely without music (with exceptions), I'm quite interested on this. Good luck with your wad!