Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vandoom

Central Disposal

My second public release now linked here, Built In DB2 tested with Gzdoom, based off vanilla doom 2 engine, should be compatible with most versions of doom, Jumping and crouching are encouraged but not necessary and if you find it a little easy play it with Brutal Doom or Taggart mode or wh/ever. hope you guys enjoy and i'd love to see a play through. build took about 8 months from concept to finish with a Shit ton of procrastination. Have Fun! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79740655/central_disposal.wad

This is my very first FDA so here.

It's a fun map. I seemed to have found most of the secrets by accident which made the map pretty easy :o, and I missed some too.

I sort of picked the megasphere without triggering the secret, so you may think about making the zone larger just in case.

Other than that, the rooms are nice, I liked the outdoor area and the cracked walls just before. Only one thing that irritated me was that I was given so many rockets and plasma near the end

kay think i'll make it single rockets rather than boxes, (i just hate archies so much) and the FDA i couldn't get to run properly, pretty sure you did better than run into a corner and shoot at a pipe until and imp killed you!

yeh sorry i don't know how the FDA business works.
I used GZDoom, and when I played it it was fine.

Archies are the best man and I wasn't expecting that one on the lift.

Estryark said:

yeh sorry i don't know how the FDA business works.
I used GZDoom, and when I played it it was fine.

Demos in (g)zdoom have no guaranteed cross-version consistency, so you'll have to note the version you made the demo on in order for someone else to watch it.

Okay, well I have version g1.8.2.
I guess I'll play using a different source port next time for better demofile compatibility.

This was a nice map to play through. I didn't find any secrets but I did feel that even with the end room (I really liked the pathway of crates there; wish it was longer!) I had something like 400 cells left and a bunch of unused rockets. Some ammo could be removed from a couple of places. Otherwise I felt the enemy balance was good, though hitscanners appearing right by you as you walked through a corridor got a bit repetitive.

On Zandronum some of the grey boxes by the Spider Mastermind had textures that extended down through the floor. That was the only bug I saw as I was going through. Enjoyable map!

Hi, here's my FDA, in ZDoom 2.7.1
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1298893

For ZDoom-specific maps, ZDoom 2.7.1 seems to be the way to go for max demo compatibility. I think some versions of GZDoom can play these demos too, not sure.

I think your map has some kind of ZDoom-isms in it, it wouldn't even open in Crispy Doom. Didn't try PrBoom+ or looking at the wad in an editor, but in general if you want to go for compatibility with other ports, always test in something else, because ZDoom is very lenient in a lot of respects with mapping constructs and wad format. Between that issue, and that I enjoy jumping around for no reason, I decided to use ZDoom to play.

Anyhow it was a pretty easy map, especially with those secrets, not a whole lot of enemies at any one time and certainly not enough to justify the full load of cells + BFG I had even if the BFG was a secret. The chaingunners/shotgun guys appearing behind you trap was good, even if it got used a few times, but beyond that there wasn't a whole lot to be worried about. I did like the copious use of barrels though, always fun for blowing up crowds of low-tier monsters.

Visually it was good, I liked the large open spaces and general factory theme. Made it fun enough to run through despite the relatively weak combat.

Got the same bugs that degree23 had, also there was one area (first screenshot) where I almost got stuck by crouch-jumping, unless it was a secret and I didn't dig far enough you should probably just mark that whole bit as impassable.

Textures that aren't 128 units tall cannot be vertically tiled, at least not in other ports than ZDoom. You've used a lot of tiled stair textures, that might cause visual glitches in non-ZDoom ports (Prboom-plus appears to be immune, though). Also there are unclosed sectors in the final area, already mentioned by others.

Well flowing and enjoyable map, but gives way too much ammo. A lot of weird-feeling detail, but nothing too ugly to spoil the experience. I'm not sure what would happen if I didn't pick up blue card before jumping in the nukage pit. Key cards are almost redundant in the way you use them.

scifista42 said:

Textures that aren't 128 units tall cannot be vertically tiled, at least not in other ports than ZDoom. You've used a lot of tiled stair textures, that might cause visual glitches in non-ZDoom ports (Prboom-plus appears to be immune, though).

While some ports don't support this, basically the only modern port I know of that doesn't is Chocolate Doom, and that's intentional. Doom+ doesn't either I guess, not sure how many people use that still. It might be a good idea to avoid, for future-proofing in limit-removing maps, but it's fairly safe to do as long as you're not making a vanilla map.

(Textures with transparent areas, as anything other than a midtexture on a 2s line, are another story!)

On topic: it seems like you've got pretty much all the iwad patches and flats in this wad, for no reason that I can see, which is not only unnecessary and adds to the filesize, but also will cause problems in other ports, AND will probably prevent it from being accepted to the idgames archives.

FDA (prboom+)
Some derpage. Also had to afk (briefly) a few times.

Things of note:
- Demons cant descend some stairs
- BFG secret seems a bit much, or perhaps just not hidden well enough for its reward
- Lots of skippable monsters; wide open spaces don't make them particularly pressuring (except the hitscanners, to a degree)
- A few cases of monsters on lower levels in front of the player; vanilla-unfriendly (player cannot easily shoot down)
- SMM room has bleeding issues, and SMM was almost wholly-skippable

Otherwise seemed fun.

on my current map i think spent too long on the lighting in this one room... (using UDMF format) but damn