Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Tested 5b. Trails still showed up. Using zdoom-2.8pre-585-g1fcde91, dated 8/8/14, with NVidia GForce GTX 660, Windows 8.1. Is there some ZDoom or NVidia setting on my end that's causing this?

http://i.imgur.com/RQBJffd.png
http://i.imgur.com/AbTXFZv.png
http://i.imgur.com/KvJOsuN.png
http://i.imgur.com/mHyjYxE.png
http://i.imgur.com/3FW9Pos.png
http://i.imgur.com/GexXSSL.png

That doesn't happen to my zdoom. (I probably have an older version of it) I think it could be something about the setting, but I'm not sure.

The teleport issue is rarer. As I said there are three unused W1 monster teleports left after the AV at the start uses one. There's only one Mancubus on that level that could use the teleports and only a Mancubus or larger monster could get stuck. He can only do so after the Yellow bars are raised and the linedef tag 9 switch releases the AV. Odds are he'll be dead, or some Imps, Demons or Chaingunners will use up the linedefs by then. Cacos are just a tiny bit larger than the teleport destination, so I think they are able to move, too. Clipped and took a pic of the automap, then the screen.

http://i.imgur.com/mZYuVaL.png
http://i.imgur.com/9ihuqiM.png [/B]

I think I might know a solution to this, I'll have a look at it.

Well, here's a how-de-do. It's ZDoom. I'm in the middle of running through '5 Rooms' so I installed the new version of ZDoom in a different folder to play other maps. I just played joe-ilya's new map and it also had trails. I don't believe in coincidence so I moved them into the old ZDoom folder and played version5B and joe-ilya2 again. No trails. Unbelievable. Serves me right for trying to stay current. Well, I see there have been two new development versions of ZDoom since my latest. Let's see if someone over there caught the problem and fixed it.

My original suggestion for the rare teleport issue was just to make the off-map teleport destination room large enough to hold a Mancubus so he can teleport back like everything else does. It was like a 5-minute fix.

As I'm writing this, I see Breezeep uploaded a new version. Paused while I play. Oh, that's a much better idea, reducing the number of W1 teleports to one and putting it directly under the AV. Monsters don't disappear in combat that way.

BTW, I don't want to seem obsessive or obnoxious about this map. I just really like it. It's fast, it's tight, it's dangerous, and it plays much bigger than it actually is. I think it's a great map.

I think that solved everything.

Atomic Garden

given your style in most other maps you make, I was quite surprised with this one's compact nature, which, in my eyes, is a damn good thing. combat is a little tougher than I expected here with annoying sniper imps around, but other than that I like this one, far better than your other map for sure. like Obsidian said though, get the trademarked exit plz.

Burgalveist

I'm not sure how your original version went since i missed out on it, but this one felt pretty damn difficult either way. it's quite grinding trying to kill the fatso with just the shotgun while avoiding/shooting the revenant though. first teleport ambush after lowering the blue key was okay though, as was after getting the key. most of the rest was alright except for some revenants in places. worst probably was the chaingunner ambush right at the SSG. other than that, I did find the level pretty darn fun. I liked how you raised the teleporter in the southeast at least twice to try and trap players there.

btw this'll be the last time I'm playtesting for this. I've got some maps for other things to work on.

Hey everyone, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to withdraw my entry because I've been pretty busy lately and won't be able to meet the deadline. Sorry!

Good luck with the wad guys.

40oz, if you stumble upon this post, can you change the OK'd link for "And all that could have been" to the latest version? V5c

Obsidian said:

Any concrete ideas for MAP30 and MAP32 yet?

I have an idea, I'll take MAP30 and will enhance Felowzdoomer's map32.

Obsidian said:

I posted some shots yesterday of a map in progress, which I hope will become the MAP32 of this project. The idea was that I would enhance Fellowzdoomer's map and turn it into something better, but it turned into this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bcq0x1on29x116d/pl1024-Surreily2.wad. Basically, it's a bit like Plutonia's MAP32, but it's loosely based on Doom II's MAP02 instead of MAP01. There's over 100 monsters on UV, so it won't be easy (but I still don't know if it's hard enough - please let me know what you think)! All feedback will be considered. Thank you.

By the way, if this is chosen for the project, its name should be either "The Place of Death" or "At the Place of Death".

Miss Bubbles said:

Hey everyone, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to withdraw my entry because I've been pretty busy lately and won't be able to meet the deadline. Sorry!

Good luck with the wad guys.

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope your schedule gets more lenient in time! Since your map was already submitted once, you get seven more days to continue working on it. If you still feel you don't have the time, would you perhaps consider uploading any work-in-progress you may have made with it for another person to pick up, and it could get get fixed up as a collab?

Count651 said:

Just wanted to remind you guys that I'm done with pitfall. If anyone wants to finish it for me go ahead.

Thanks Count651, I'll have a look at it. :)

Breezeep said:

40oz, if you stumble upon this post, can you change the OK'd link for "And all that could have been" to the latest version? V5c

You've got it. Sorry about the delay.

Obsidian said:

I didn't anticipate this would even come close to a megawad. In the current state, counting pending changes maps that I expect to land an OK, there's somewhere around 26 to 28 maps. So an Icon of Sin MAP30 map might get shoved into a MAP27 or MAP28 or something. Cybercage by gothic seems pretty fitting for a MAP31, and FellowZDoomer's and Surreily's upcoming Place of Death certainly looks like a good MAP32
fit.

Archi said:

My map for this project sucks, feel free to erase it.

I'm sorry you feel that way! I hope you change your mind! It's just a few details shy of an OK. If you're not interested in fixing it up a little yourself, would you consider putting it out for someone else to work on?

joe-ilya

Cool map! I like this map a lot! Very good use of space, and fun to play! I think the imps on the outside, sniping you right from the beginning is a little too tricky though. I like them, but I think they might be best saved as a trap. Hide them underground and use instantly raising floors to make them pop up when the player presses the first switch, and teleport in some tough monsters (like hell knights or revenants!) near the start area to keep him from getting away too fast. Another thing I think would be better is if you used fewer types of monsters in the teleport ambush in the center area. Too many different types of monsters coming from one spot makes it easy for causing infighting, and easier for the player. You could limit it to maybe 2 types of monsters to reduce the infighting, OR you could have extra teleport destinations away from each other in different corners of the room where the other types of monsters teleport in from.
The rest of the map is pretty great, I like it a lot! I'm with Obsidian in saying that the exit could use some brighter lighting so you can see it's the exit before you walk in. Maybe an exit sign too. Otherwise, great job! Looking forward to your next update!

Megalyth

Great work! The changes seem much more fitting for your map, and progressively appropriate. Even though the monster count isn't far from what you started with, it did leave me wondering how the map would fare if you peppered in some extra shellboxes and doubled the monster population in some of the traps. Also the shoot switch in the start, I know was a response to EffingHamHuffNagel's post, but it feels a little phoned in there. Perhaps you could utilize it elsewhere. Im thinking maybe with some bars blocking the rocket launcher area, and a shoot switch somewhere in the area to open them. Or you could possibly place the mancubus in such a way where there's no way to get through (or at least no easy way) without killing him first, and do away with the shoot switches all together. You're teetering on the fence of OK status. Hope this gives you some ideas and hope I don't sound too scrutinizing!

Just posting to say that the window for adding new maps to the pack has closed!!

if you've already submitted a map that has not been OKd yet, you'll have until August 27th to make any necessary changes to get OKd for final release.

40oz said:

joe-ilya

Cool map! I like this map a lot! Very good use of space, and fun to play! I think the imps on the outside, sniping you right from the beginning is a little too tricky though. I like them, but I think they might be best saved as a trap. Hide them underground and use instantly raising floors to make them pop up when the player presses the first switch, and teleport in some tough monsters (like hell knights or revenants!) near the start area to keep him from getting away too fast. Another thing I think would be better is if you used fewer types of monsters in the teleport ambush in the center area. Too many different types of monsters coming from one spot makes it easy for causing infighting, and easier for the player. You could limit it to maybe 2 types of monsters to reduce the infighting, OR you could have extra teleport destinations away from each other in different corners of the room where the other types of monsters teleport in from.
The rest of the map is pretty great, I like it a lot! I'm with Obsidian in saying that the exit could use some brighter lighting so you can see it's the exit before you walk in. Maybe an exit sign too. Otherwise, great job! Looking forward to your next update!

Alright!! Here's a second version :
https://www.mediafire.com/?nnie9xgoxkp47gb

40oz said:

I'm sorry you feel that way! I hope you change your mind! It's just a few details shy of an OK. If you're not interested in fixing it up a little yourself, would you consider putting it out for someone else to work on?

If someone wants to fix it, I don't mind. Feel free to make anything with it.

Feel free to make whatever tweaks to my maps if they aren't suitable yet. I can take a quick crack at finishing some WIP maps if people have any though.

Update to Cybercage:

-Added a few more ammo
-All rocket boxes moved to the ground, so people can't miss them

Also I did not changed the switch textures, but I did something else to people notice what they did.

Link is the same as in the 1st post.

Marcaek said:

Feel free to make whatever tweaks to my maps if they aren't suitable yet. I can take a quick crack at finishing some WIP maps if people have any though.

Would you be interested in implementing skill levels in Archi's map? A few extra Plutonia-style details like wood supports, and marble faces and stuff wouldn't hurt too.

Also do you have a name and music preference for your map?

How about "Charnel's cellar" for my map name, and honestly I have no idea what music track but I suppose just "The imp's song" will do.

I can take a look at Archi's map.

Unless my counting skills suck, I believe we have 23 OK'd maps. Just nine more and we can wrap it up!

I'm also still awaiting some feedback for me and Fellowzdoomer's map "@ The Place of Death":

• I'd love to know if the difficulty is too easy (remember, this is going to be MAP32 if all goes to plan).
  • Should the spare hidden invulnerability sphere should be changed to something else (as it's very unlikely that a player would pick up the first one and spend 30 seconds not going down the elevator).
Thanks in advance!