Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaleb.

I Don't Mind

It's not a bad map. I liked the layout/atmosphere/music, but the fights were a bit lacking in terms of difficulty. It needs more higher tier monsters rather than the constant imp spam. I recorded my first playthrough if you're interested (Link). It's 20 minutes long with 100% kills 25% secrets.

Another FDA with similar stats as NoobBait. I save a few times just in case but never reload. Was distracted when I began playing by things going on here, hence my clumsiness at the start.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1298391

Anyhow, the main problem with this map is that so many fights come from basically one direction with nothing to prevent the player from just backing out where they came to safety. A bit of that is OK, but too much gets tedious, especially in a long map such as this. The only part that really stuck out to me as an exception was when a bunch of imps and hitscanners suddenly appeared as walls rose quickly, and I ran forward to safety instead. I was expecting more resistance from running forward, some hell knights or the like to keep me from being safe in there, but there was nothing, and so after the initial scare it was back to shooting things in front of me and then hiding behind a wall while the shotgun reloaded.

Also single cyberdemons with lots of space to move in are pretty non-threatening for anyone who has circle-strafing down. There's always the chance of flinching and dying from a rocket to the face, but in general it's an easy fight.

Layout was fine with me, I wouldn't call it too nonlinear, in most cases you have only one choice in direction to proceed in, but that's not a flaw in itself. It feels nice and connected and interesting to explore, the atmosphere was good and the music was a nice choice. Texturing could have been a little more varied in places (there's no shortage of brown Doom 2 textures), or maybe use some more red highlights here and there, but for the most part it was fine. Nice use of lighting in general.

Anyhow I enjoyed it but the combat could have been much more engaging which would have made it more fun.

Monster placement has never been my strong suit, but these suggestions should help a lot! Thanks.

EDIT: And I just realized there is no way to lower the ending key, and that there is no door that needs it.

Digging the classic look of these screens, will give a proper run through soon and some feedback :) (probably not as helpful as plums', but still!)

I like it. It was kind of long and used a bit too much brown, but it was pretty fun. The iron-ribbed walls looked kind of strange, though.