Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MD922

Hellbound demos [-complevel 2]

Hmm, I've been using -complevel 2 for my MAP02 and MAP03 runs (not submitted yet) as Andy Olivera suggested to me. However, an unofficial secret in MAP03 became inaccessible as I used this setting. The Hellbound text file states that it's been tested with GZDoom and PrBoom+, and may not run with Vanilla Doom. So, I'll be redoing those 2 maps with -complevel 9, and trying MAP01 again when I'm ready.

I think cl2 should be fine. The textfile says that the WAD is limit-removing, but it says nothing about Boom features being used.

Nice race here. Veinen's demo reminded me of my own runs where I keep holding the fire button during the fights, even though stopping for a few milliseconds to actually aim at the next monster would be better heh.

I think you guys should still use complevel 2, unless you discover some more bugs. One little broken secret that's not even official isn't worth switching to 9, which has annoying things like monsters getting stuck or falling of ledges. Playing Resurgence reminded me just how crappy that behavior is: it happened on almost every second map.

Daiyu already set a standard for Hellbound demos with his 13 maxes and it would be pretty silly to refuse to follow it just because of that Hitler portrait. Find more bugs first!

Map16 NM100S in 2:19, the first ever filler of Hellbound's very entertaining Nightmare table :-)

This carnage-filled racing adventure (sort of like some brutalized version of some of the largest Duke3D maps) is so fun that my 7-month-old effort of pushing it down to 2:28 didn't sate me yet.

hb16s219.zip

Memfis said:

I think you guys should still use complevel 2, unless you discover some more bugs.

;_; eeehhh. Whatever i will not rerun particle D2ALL. No bugs i got while worked with Doom 2 Reload + Rayzik's UV-MAX works well.
But in my opinion that wad absolutely beautiful in design but worst in UV-Speed as here not exist glides + each map extremely long and large.

^ NO. It's my favorite trick which helps save a lot of time.

Once Vdgg said:

Modern mappers should make sure no glides are possible.

And Akse said:

It would be a crime.

And it is. But forgivable i guess.

Azuruish said:

^ NO. It's my favorite trick which helps save a lot of time.

Once Vdgg said:
And Akse said:
And it is. But forgivable i guess.

You currently are only looking at glides as a speedrunner. Take in the position of a mapper, and as a mapper I would think it is one of the worse mistakes to ever make.

Glides in TAS are easy and not really a problem to do fast. In non-TAS, though, they're just an annoying trick if they are not at least guided, and in my opinion should be avoided as intentional tricks in maps. Other tricks like rocket jumps and archvile jumps are cooler and more fun I think.

Another amazingly beautiful hole filled, MAP32 NM100S in 2:23.

I personally enjoy such "extremely long and large" paths a lot more than glides :-)

hb32s223.zip

Ancalagon said:

The lack of glides is actually a good thing, they stopped being fun a long time ago

oh man yea.

map02 max in 5:37

Also a link to this thread seems to be missing from dew's notable megawads master list in the "Welcome to the demos forum!" stickied thread.

hb02-537.zip