Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LockeRequiem

Some GZDoom Mapping Ideas, Please?

Uggghhh...this is TERRIBLE!! I learned how to make 3D Floors and slopes in GZDoom and now I have too many ideas going in my head.

I tried my hand at making a Doom 64 Map, then had another idea.
I tried making a base and yet another idea.
I even tried making a bland square room with a cyberdemon in it and had another idea!

I'm hoping you people can kinda throw out ideas

That's why many mappers go back to the roots with vanilla mapping. Or limit themselves in linedef count, room count, etc.

I have this problem all the time, my interests just keep switching for some reason. Like a play Speed of Doom one day, so I get an idea to make some SOD-like maps. Then, on the next day I load Scythe and... I have to map pretty damn fast and make only short maps so that I can actually finish something before I lose interest.

LockeRequiem said:

Uggghhh...this is TERRIBLE!! I learned how to make 3D Floors and slopes in GZDoom and now I have too many ideas going in my head.

I tried my hand at making a Doom 64 Map, then had another idea.
I tried making a base and yet another idea.
I even tried making a bland square room with a cyberdemon in it and had another idea!

That's good in one aspect. You have ideas galore.
Now, you just have to focus those ideas into producing a playable map. Surely you have played
a myriad of pwads and now know what elements make a pwad enjoyable.

Get out a sheet of paper and start drawing a layout of what you want your map to look like. Draw
some sections isometrically to see correlations between various elements. That will force you
to concentrate your thoughts.

Start out by placing not more then ten distinct sectors. Maybe hallways with doors, pits, stairs etc.
Then flesh them out with moderate detail, considering placement of monsters, health, some
decorations, various light levels, etc.

And take your time.

LockeRequiem said:

Build a vast dark base map.
The player has to kill ridiculous numbers of Cacodemons and
kill three Cacodemons

scifista42 said:

Create an account on imgur.com, upload screenshots there and post links here.

While this is a good place to go, if you don't feel like making an account you can try this one:

http://postimage.org/

The good news about having TOO MANY ideas is there really is no consensus on the approved length of a map. If you can at least make a couple rooms, maybe require a key to access one of them at the very least, and add an exit room to it, you could have a short episode or something made of varying styles of maps. It wouldn't hurt much to show off the ideas you have in the form of very short maps. Who knows, maybe in the future you'll think about extending them and rereleasing them in a bigger and more ambitious project.

LockeRequiem said:

a bland square room with a cyberdemon in it

You mean WOW.WAD?

Zed said:

While this is a good place to go, if you don't feel like making an account

You don't need an account to upload images to imgur.

I think that if you want ideas about GZDoom mapping, there's no better way than taking a look at some GZDoom specific wads:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:GZDoom_mods

There's also some neat maps on Monochrome Mapping Project (not listed in the zdoom wiki), for example, but you get the idea, play with dynamic lights, slopes, 3D floors, etc.

Sodaholic said:

You don't need an account to upload images to imgur.

Oh, I didn't know that.

EDIT: Sorry, typo.

I'm gonna risk it.

It seems that there was a fresh megawad named Doom 2 In Name Only, where the goal was to make maps based on the levels name. (Currently on MAP10, regret picking skill 4.)

I thought this was neat, so yesterday I made a map "In Name Only".

Bloodfalls In Name Only

http://www.mediafire.com/?0ih530c1d15l1b7

I inserted me playing a test demo. This is a work in progress, in vanilla doom. Please tell me your opinions, guys.

you should make a space house

like a regular house

in space

alternatively, make a doom

LockeRequiem said:

Did anyone play my work in progress?

It was fun untill the final area which could work with cells rather then shells.

What the heck is a Roombamastermind?

Lemme get all my points together.

I should make a vast, dark, giant techhouse in space with the boss NOT being that Roombamastermind...but BigMooMoo.

I guess I'll start making it, heh!

LockeRequiem said:

It shows distinct characteristics of a newbie-ish bad map - monotexturing, blandness, sloppy balance (anti-fun final area), lazily crafted out shooting gallery in a plain corridor. This is how I feel about what I've seen. I'm honest to you, so that you can realize your mistakes early. Please, don't let it discourage you, and continue improving. I wasn't any better when I started mapping.

Not at my PC right now, but I find that adding windows to an inaccessable "outside world" helps greatly to make it feel like part of a larger universe.

In a bloody map, hanging corpses in cages along the walls really add that demonic touch (Satan is an interior designer in his free time!). In a tech map, computers, dingy lab areas, and flickering lights give it that lovely "beaten up, but used to be clean" feel.

I have a little backlog of WADs I need to check out tomorrow, I'll add this to the list.

Like scifista said, don't be discouraged by your early efforts. They'll give you a great insight into what you love and hate in a map!

LockeRequiem said:

It plays like a first map, but that's ok. It's better than most first maps. Just keep working on it. Take inspiration from how things are constructed in other maps. Play with the lighting and scenery to make it look interesting. Align textures once you have something interesting. Play it again and again with different changes to the layout and combinations of monsters/items until it's fun.

Specific criticism? I hate the secrets. It feels clever to build things like that, but there's no indication you can activate some of the blood falls. I only found them by clicking everything.

LockeRequiem said:

Check your map often with the Map Analysis tool

Break down large sectors like Sector 17 into several smaller, more managable sectors.
As it is now, to find out where the unclosed sector error occurred becomes very tedious.

This would also allow you to specify precise lighting for different areas.

Instead of undertaking a huge myriad of ideas try porting a map from one game to another for practice and nostalgia. I got a post somewhere about maps from other games that I'm working on though I would suggest just making maps as now I'm in a worse boat than your currently in. Too many projects. XD