Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duh

IWAD deathmatch maps

Guest Unregistered account

I'm not sure about the rest, but I once had a Death match on Plutonia Level 26, and it wasn't great. That said, I had a great Death match on Level 30, as it has a secluded arena designed for Death match.

The cynic in me would probably condense the maplist even further than that, honestly. The only D2 maps that are fun for me are 01, 02, 07, 08 (surprisingly fast), 30 (hilarious, but not good for anything serious) and 32. I haven't DM'd on TNT or Plutonia much at all, though.

Doom 2 map05 is a blast for deathmatch actually. It was very popular on xbox live doom 2 when people were playing it.

D2M1 and D2M7 are pretty much the only one's worth caring about. D2M1; despite the huge lack of flow is a very tactical map. Controlling the spawn points, using the BFG efficiently, using the outside to your advantage to drive out player(s) from spawn controlling. D2M7; the flow is there meaning that movement and space is "free" (for lack of a better word) still a bad map in some aspects due to BFG placement (same with D2M1). Even so these (especially D2M1) are more suited for duels. D2M2 I would probably add too as I found that to be quite fun when I was younger. TNT01 I seem to remember being quite enjoyable for duels too. Though I am still disappointed with a huge amount of the maps.

TNT01 is decent for duels, there's a slightly modified version of it in an older Duel32 release candidate. I'd say 99% of all IWAD maps are garbage for modern standards of DM, but some of them may play better under altdeath settings (which nobody plays anymore because it doesn't really accommodate modern playercounts.

They're great for LMS games though, with the right settings.

Marcaek said:

TNT01 is decent for duels, there's a slightly modified version of it in an older Duel32 release candidate. I'd say 99% of all IWAD maps are garbage for modern standards of DM, but some of them may play better under altdeath settings (which nobody plays anymore because it doesn't really accommodate modern playercounts.

They're great for LMS games though, with the right settings.

I could not have really said it better myself. I have played the D32 version only but I didn't realise it was modified. I still think that D2M1 is a classic in its own right, D2M7 I do show a bit of live for sue to the flow.

doom 2 map03 is a fantastic 1v1 map as well as the classic map01, both these definitely work with more players as well

After playing a few rounds on map32, the major annoyance is in the invuln sphere / BFG combo, creates some serious whoring. With a patch replacing invuln spheres with invis spheres, this map is a ton of fun with 2-4 players, and surprisingly strategic due to the slow "door pillars".

XCOPY said:

So does that make map11 unplayable as well?

Aren't they too big? lol

Map11 is actually pretty fun with 4 players, even with the invuln, because (usually) it just gets wasted as you try to hunt the other players down. It's still far from ideal though.

And yeah, other than e1m1 and e1m8, I find the shareware maps a little boring in DM.

Just curious, did you make this list out of actually having good deathmatch games in, or did you look them over in an editor or in singleplayer -nomonsters to give them a subjective review?

TNT MAP03 has a neat trick where it locks deathmatch player starts in the red key room and the surrounding courtyard with doors that can only be activated from a walkover linedef near the single player start area. It's a cheap and easy and heavily underused trick to debunk the myth that single player maps can't also be deathmatch maps, when all it takes is a similar system to shrink the map's size for deathmatch.

Though the area is highly symmetrical :/

40oz said:

TNT MAP03 has a neat trick where it locks deathmatch player starts in the red key room and the surrounding courtyard with doors that can only be activated from a walkover linedef near the single player start area. It's a cheap and easy and heavily underused trick to debunk the myth that single player maps can't also be deathmatch maps, when all it takes is a similar system to shrink the map's size for deathmatch

I hope to see more WADs come along that use this trick ;)