Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plums

Do you play with automap/HUD map stats and found-a-secret messages?

Do you play with automap/HUD map stats and found-a-secret messages?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play with automap/HUD map stats and found-a-secret messages?

• I use both of them.
    • I use neither.
    • I only use in-game map stats.
    • I only use

The poll ate my quotes :P . The fourth option should be: I only use "You found a secret!" messages.

I got thinking about this for a few reasons recently, and was just curious as to how people play with these gameplay enhancements/"mild cheats."

There are different ways of showing map stats in-game. Even for something like showing them on the automap, where you have to specifically check for them, count that as using them, unless you only do it in very rare and specific circumstances.

Note that ZDoom can't easily disable the "you found a secret" messages, so if you use ZDoom mostly, assume that you could disable them if you wanted to for the purposes of answering.

(sorry for posting in the wrong forum, polls only work in WADs & Mods)

I use the default settings for these, that means, stats on automap and message on. I'm confused if this means the first or the fourth choice in the poll.

heck, never mind the stats HUD... when I'm browsing wads for levels that appeal to me I go beyond stats & secrets and turn on cheat codes =P then again, once I find my sort of WAD I immerse myself in it in the most primitive client that can run it and turn off all those extra indicators.

I love the stats HUD in pr-boom though and it has made viewing speedruns more interesting for me.

I use "found a secret!" messages but not kill/secret stats.

EDIT: The reason is because that's what prboom-plus does if you don't change the HUD, and I'm too used to the classic status bar to switch to that more minimalist HUD.

scifista42 said:

I use the default settings for these, that means, stats on automap and message on. I'm confused if this means the first or the fourth choice in the poll.

That would be the first option. The fourth would be no stats, just the secret message when you find a secret.

yakfak said:

I love the stats HUD in pr-boom though and it has made viewing speedruns more interesting for me.

Yeah, I do that too. I'm more concerned about playing than watching with this poll.

I am especially curious about anyone who uses map or HUD stats, but not secret messages.

Cynical said:

I use "found a secret!" messages but not kill/secret stats.

EDIT: The reason is because that's what prboom-plus does if you don't change the HUD, and I'm too used to the classic status bar to switch to that more minimalist HUD.

You can enable stats on the automap, if you wanted. I like the classic statusbar too.

Yes, I use "a secret is revealed", one thing that pissed me off in vanilla was that there was no indication of finding a secret (I don't remember if there was an indication or not, so don't lecture me). I only use the auto map if I am lost and to sometimes see the amount of secrets left. I especially use the latter on maps that have over 7 secrets, (I do think that even five secrets is stretching it). It is a real piss take when a map has over ten secrets and a few of them are for separate sectors in the same mother fucking area (one MM map comes to mind).

This should be moved to the Doom General forum since this isn't anything related to what the WADs & Mods forum is about.

polls only work in WADs & Mods

Spoiler

More accurately, they don't work in Doom General. They probably work in multiple other subforums, though.

Of the non-hidden forums, polls also work in Everything Else, Fan Fics / Fan Pics, Community Chest 4, Eternity, and FreeDoom, none of which are any more appropriate.

But yes it would be nice if this got moved.

A lot of maps that seem to be in the Wads & Mods section of the forums are betas looking for feedback, so it seems appropriate to have those stats in the automap to check if some monsters never show up, or if some secrets are impossible or too hard to find, etc.

I also use the "The Secret Is Revealed!" message but I replaced the sound effect in my prboom wad with DSGETPOW or whatever that gong sound is when you pick up a soulsphere. It's not ideal (as most secrets contain a powerup) but it was the most fitting one for Doom I could find.

I don't really see the merit of only knowing that information after you've completed the map. I mean, all it does is prod me to play the map all over again, and is unfortunately not very effective more often than not.

40oz said:

A lot of maps that seem to be in the Wads & Mods section of the forums are betas looking for feedback, so it seems appropriate to have those stats in the automap to check if some monsters never show up, or if some secrets are impossible or too hard to find, etc.

Definitely, some times I'll turn them off when playing an idgames map, it feels more "authentic" not knowing how much of a map is left going by monster count. But for testing etc. it's pretty useful to have them. Especially if you're bug-hunting and trying to make sure all monsters and secrets are accessible.

I also use the "The Secret Is Revealed!" message but I replaced the sound effect in my prboom wad with DSGETPOW or whatever that gong sound is when you pick up a soulsphere. It's not ideal (as most secrets contain a powerup) but it was the most fitting one for Doom I could find.

Crispy Doom uses DSITMBK (the multiplayer item respawning sound) which isn't bad, it's not extremely fitting but at least it's distinct. Not a huge fan of the ZDoom/PrBoom+ orchestra sting or whatever it is either, but not to the point where I have bothered to change it anywhere.

I use the ZDoom alternate HUD, so yeah, shows the kill/secret counts. I've gotten used to it over the years, I like knowing what's left to find on a level. Sometimes can 'ruin' the map knowing exactly how many monsters are left, though. But I also like knowing if it's going to be a 300 monster slog or not from the start.