Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

The story of the new Doom

Guest Unregistered account

I want to bring this up for discussion: the story.

While it's obvious the next Doom isn't going to have a different story, I can understand that as it's meant to attract the attention of children like me. In other words, it's meant to introduce them to Doom.

So, we now have three Doom (1)s, four if you count Ultimate Doom.
The question is, will it work? Doom 3 was technically a similar thing and that didn't last long (though six or so years is pretty good).

Thoughts?

Doom 3's story was pretty stupid. Well, not really. There were cool elements to it that were ruined by dumb cliche bad guy stuff. It looks like they're going to go for something more mature this time. I'm anxious to see how it gets fleshed out. I'm hoping they keep the details vague, as in the original game. That will be a lot more interesting that lifting the curtain and showing everything.

I'm with GoatLord. It shall be especially interesting to see how UAC meddled with things that shouldn't have been meddled with.

I don't know why you think there trying to attract the attention of kids.

It's the complete opposite, Doom and Wolfenstein where games that where never meant for children, You must be 18 to even enter the Beta.

Seriously I have no Idea why you think the new Doom is trying to introduce children to the series.

Joe667, who in the hell told you that Doom won't have a different story, and that it will be aimed at the kiddies? I mean, the freaking teaser trailer, as well as the reveal, have both implied a slightly different take on the whole demon invasion thing. And in both cases, the content of the game was NOT kid friendly. If anything, it's more mature than it's ever been. Definitely not for the young ones.

maybe he just meant a younger generation that didn't experience DOOM in its heyday, as opposed to literal children. That's the impression I got anyway, but then again the original came out when i was like 13 so...

I'm actually curious to see how people who grew up on COD and the like will react to what id is trying to pull off with this game.

Doominator2 said:

I don't know why you think there trying to attract the attention of kids.

It's the complete opposite, Doom and Wolfenstein where games that where never meant for children, You must be 18 to even enter the Beta.

Seriously I have no Idea why you think the new Doom is trying to introduce children to the series.

Well, a lot of us were children when introduced to those games, playing them under the aptly named skill levels: Can I Play Daddy and I'm Too Young To Die.

Doom doesn't need an elaborate story, just a background one, and i think the atmosphere is the most important thing in the franchise.

I think their only intention is to aim for the majority of gamers and not the long time Doom players at all.

The new Doom doesn't need an elaborate story. It needs a sturdy framework that expeditiously explains how horrific a thing could happen to our dimension so quickly. Face it we don't want a lot of plot exposition before any demonic action happens so get to the wreckage straightaway. Apocalyptic forces are at work, hellfire is afoot, and the humanity's science appears to have unleashed it all and then some, if it didn't outright promote and engineer the development of evil.

Can't we keep the embellished, novelised version? The idea of humanity being redeemed by Flynn, Arlene and Buddy has always given me a special glow :P

Still can't see differences between All DOOM Series stories,it may have same storyline in a different way :3

If the story of the game is just demons attacking others and people Infecting people,than it would be a CARBON COPY of DOOM 3 :O

1944- Desperate Nazi occultists manage, with the assistance of a enterprising young archaeologist, to unearth a vast underground complex of unknown origin in Egypt. However, even the discovery of advanced weapons technology is not enough to stop the fall of the Third Reich. The archaeologist disappears into the mists of history, eluding any and all attempts by Nazi hunters to find him...

1994- The mysterious entrepreneur Marcus Betruger invests thousands into both the Weylend and United Aerospace Corporations, eventually leading to their market-controlling merger. With mysterious technology, the newborn UAC encircles the market with their innovation.

2048-A facility on Tei Tenga mysteriously disappears, with massive spatial anomalies preventing further investigation by the UAC.

What would really make the game fit in with the story is adding very ambient noise, and quotes that really make you think for it to be scary instead of just having a creepy sound play.

For example, in System Shock 2 the hybrids have dozens of memorable quotes("Your song is not ours") but the one that really made me think were ones such as "Hurry, run" or "Killl Meee!" are they partially aware of what they are doing but cant control themselves? Very creepy after thinking about it for a while.

I highly disagree. Since when does comically ludicrous blood and gore and violence attract more mature adults than kids?

Kids (I.e. That age range where you have the capacity to solve basic puzzles but too young to work and live independently) are ultimately fueling the game industry.

What bothers me the most is they'll likely have some lame pre-order bonuses and/or some DLC nonsense less than 6 months after release. That is not the way Doom is meant to be, to be used and abused by publishers in this matter.

Glaice said:

What bothers me the most is they'll likely have some lame pre-order bonuses and/or some DLC nonsense less than 6 months after release. That is not the way Doom is meant to be, to be used and abused by publishers in this matter.

You can't know it yet. You're only ranting about your own worry.

I'm fearing this because of the crap done with RAGE and seeing other big publishers doing this with their own big title games.

Oh please. Take a look at Ubisoft or EA and you'll see how lucky we are with Bethesda as a publisher for DOOM4.

Touchdown said:

Oh please. Take a look at Ubisoft or EA and you'll see how lucky we are with Bethesda as a publisher for DOOM4.

I agree, Bethesda are one of the better ones. Id almost got bought by EA.

Glaice said:

As much I want a DLC for Wolfenstein : The New Order (Really, once you beat the campaign, it's not that fun anymore ) and can understand why people don't want any, I doubt we'll see any under Bethdesa.

If you look closely at some of Beth's flagship franchises you'll notice how they have been continually dumbing them down for accessibility and the lowest common denominator.

Also people keep blaming EA for things many other companies have already been doing constantly, and while people are too focused with EA and such on this matter they fail to see how their own favorite companies have been doing bullshit things also.

Glaice said:

Pre-order now and get a free BFG on the first level!