Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

This Week in Doom

Not a bad idea but more content on the levels would be welcome since you can just use recent files on /idgames to find a similar list. A while back Tarns and Alfonso did an overview of notable releases around the time Interception and Hadephopia were being released or in beta. Something more regular along these lines would be cool, although I appreciate not really in the scope of what your site aims to achieve.

Also, the TWID acronym is already commonly associated with the 'The Way id Did' series.

purist said:

Not a bad idea but more content on the levels would be welcome since you can just use recent files on /idgames to find a similar list. A while back Tarns and Alfonso did an overview of notable releases around the time Interception and Hadephopia were being released or in beta. Something more regular along these lines would be cool, although I appreciate not really in the scope of what your site aims to achieve.

Also, the TWID acronym is already commonly associated with the 'The Way id Did' series.

Good suggestions thanks.

Also, the TWID acronym is already commonly associated with the 'The Way id Did' series. [/B]

Damn. lol - maybe I'll make it twidc (chronicles). lol

purist said:

What type of content would you deem as being needed. What I DON'T want to do is replicate newstuff.

Well the article I referred to was an audio discussion on some of the better known WADs that were either in development, beta or recently released. I know your site focuses more on text based info but something like that but covering the weeks releases would potentially be interesting and different to anything that already exists.

purist said:

Well the article I referred to was an audio discussion on some of the better known WADs that were either in development, beta or recently released. I know your site focuses more on text based info but something like that but covering the weeks releases would potentially be interesting and different to anything that already exists.

Ya, not sure that's something I'd be interested in doing. Couple reasons behind that but mostly it would be a time commitment thing.
Also, my goal with this is to give the reader a quick once over of things that came up during the week - alot of people STILL don't even know the archives exist, never mind that there is a way to see what was uploaded this week. And, I am working OTHER things of interest into the page, so.... I want to keep it simple yet informative, more for the casual player, I think, than for the more knowledgeable players you will find at Doomworld.

Not bad of an idea.

But that's mostly for your Doom Wad Station stuff.

I guess you could add other news.

Crasger said:

Not bad of an idea.

But that's mostly for your Doom Wad Station stuff.

I guess you could add other news.

Well, it will always start with new maps on the archives, plus any of my stuff and, if I find anything of interest in the community, I will add that as well. I added the new zdoom update, even though - really, it wasn't "this week" but it was close enough and important, of course. Added the 3dge update as well. Hopefully there will be more - I'll keep an eye on known projects and websites and try to incorporate the updates I find. Just kind of want it to be an overall weekly synopsis of the goings on in the community

Brad_tilf said:

I added the new zdoom update, even though - really, it wasn't "this week" but it was close enough and important, of course.

If by close enough you mean last year, then OK...

plums said:

If by close enough you mean last year, then OK...

I thought it said july 2014. hmmmm - woops.
Just goes to show - you see what you expect to see. And I didn't expect to see last year. :-)
You are correct, of course. Just went back to the page.

Brad_tilf said:

maybe I'll make it twidc (chronicles). lol

"The Chronicles of Doom" perhaps?

Not alot going on in the community but the mappers are knocking it out of the park - there were 9 new Doom 2 releases to the archives plus I ran across a couple of other things of interest as well... So check out the TWID chronicles and see what the community has given you to play with this week. And yes, I included screen shots. :-)
http://www.doomwadstation.net/twid/

And, as always, http://www.reddit.com/r/doomwadstation for the reddit page. :-)

Oh - and seeing as this is a new feature for me, if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better - please, feel free to contact me.
It's only week 2 so....

Glad to see that Doom Wad Station is still alive. Kudos for the active care and maintenance Brad! Maybe some day we can say the same for Doom3World.org :(

RUSH said:

Glad to see that Doom Wad Station is still alive. Kudos for the active care and maintenance Brad! Maybe some day we can say the same for Doom3World.org :(

I'll keep doing it for as long as I can.

It's impressive that you're basically doing a one man Incoming Chronicles. Good job. :)

Perhaps you should make the link on the main page a little more clear and obvious? That way noobs to the site would see it right away and see just how active you and the site are. :)

Average said:

It's impressive that you're basically doing a one man Incoming Chronicles. Good job. :)

Perhaps you should make the link on the main page a little more clear and obvious? That way noobs to the site would see it right away and see just how active you and the site are. :)

Excellent idea. Thankyou

Lots of good stuff this week - a 7 level speed mapping wad (yes, you've seen THIS group before) as well as a few single player maps that were uploaded to the archives, along with one that I found on MODDB, not to mention stuff from One Man Doom and WIP. Also, more playthroughs - check it out.. http://www.doomwadstation.net/twid/

If any of you guys/gals have anything new to add for the next edition, let me know - you can always email me. :-)

So what do you guys think of this feature on the site? Helpful? Not? Indifferent? Discover anything you didn't know about before? It's harder here, because you guys are generally more well informed than many of the people that find DWS through Google, who it really is designed for.

I'm always interested in doom wad lists...but the Golden Souls link is dead....

Impie said:

I'm always interested in doom wad lists...but the Golden Souls link is dead....

Fixed it! Thanks for noticing!

actually i think its a cool roundup, i dont check moddb or wadsinprogress so it was a surprise to see stuff from there. also it's neat to see my stuff get syndicated, so to speak. at least a few people are reading, judging from my referrer traffic

kmxexii said:

actually i think its a cool roundup, i dont check moddb or wadsinprogress so it was a surprise to see stuff from there. also it's neat to see my stuff get syndicated, so to speak. at least a few people are reading, judging from my referrer traffic

Nice. I'm glad to hear that. :-)

Brad_tilf said:

Damn. lol - maybe I'll make it twidc (chronicles). lol

Keep it simple: "Weekly Doom News", WDN.

Since I'm going away for the weekend - starting right after work today and i won't be back until sometime Monday, I had three choices, do a two week TWID next week or a late - Maybe Monday night or Tuesday release or just release the new Doom goodness I came across, this week, today. So, now you know what I chose. So here it is: This Week in Doom - Aug 29, 2014 http://www.doomwadstation.net/twid
and - as always, please consider subscribing to the DWS reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/doomwadstation

Have a great holiday weekend! From DWS!

P.S - feel free to share on FB or just use the official DWS FB page and click on share from there:
https://www.facebook.com/doomwadstation