Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Ultimate Doom The Way id Did — Now on /idgames!

purist said:

Nice. It's good to see this is still being worked on.

What do you mean "still"? I never thought the guys were ever planning on dropping the project in the first place :P

The screens look very good. Any ideas already what the difficulty curve will look like?

XFing: it will likely be as hard, if not a little harder in general, than vanilla E4.

Xfing said:

What do you mean "still"? I never thought the guys were ever planning on dropping the project in the first place :P

The screens look very good. Any ideas already what the difficulty curve will look like?

I meant 'still' as in continuously rather than ceased altogether. I don't think there's any danger of it being dropped, I just thought nobody was working on it at the moment.

On difficulty, my level isn't really hard but it's pretty unforgiving if you make mistakes. I think it will also be much easier if it's not chosen as E4M1 and is not pistol started.

E4M1: The Blood of the Fallen

E4M2: Heresy

E4M3: The Wicked Will Perish

E4M4: Unearthly Evil

E4M5: They Shall Repent

E4M6: Against the Damned

E4M7: Hell Followed

E4M8: Unto the Cruel

E4M9: Fright

Why making 9 maps is taking such a long time? Damnit! I really wanna play that because the other TWIDs were godly.
Will there be 'Chex Quest the way Digital Cafe did'?

joe-ilya said:

Will there be 'Chex Quest the way Digital Cafe did'?

I hope not. The CQ1 and CQ2 levels are of very, very low quality. If they wanted to bother with a Chex Quest reinvention, I'd rather see them emulating the quality level of the remade maps in CQ3.

Marcaek said:

I think we're calling it quits after Final Doom and then one last project.

NR4TL the way Nerve Did? :P

I don't know about you guys, but I'm holding out for Super Noah's Ark 3D the way Wisdom Tree did.

The official list of map names has been revealed!

Sponsored by Google Translate(TM)

E4M1: Under the Hell
E4M2: Perfect the Hate
E4M3: Separate the Wicked
E4M4: Evil the Anarchy
E4M5: Stop Them
E4M6: Evil Against You
E4M7: Before the Burn
E4M8: For Stupid
E4M9: Scare

Marcaek said:

Aww, I was looking forward to "Doom the way D! Zone Did"

Marcaek said:

The Master Levels the way id Did?

I'm gradually warming up to the idea of another Final Doom. I never considered it canon, though, so I'm mostly waiting for UDTWID and The Shores of ZDoom. Pretty excited for TNT2: Devilution and Revilution too. TSoZD is a long ways off though, I presume.

So this is somewhat old news but I've only just realised that I haven't informed the wider community: TGH has relinquished his claim over the second Tim Willits map and now we're looking for someone to submit a map to fill that slot. The good news for folks who despise M5 and M9 is that it doesn't have to be in the style of Willits. Given that Dr. Sleep only had one map in E4 and that several others had two we think there may be room for a second one in his style without impairing the character of the episode too much. Likewise, the presence of a Sandy Petersen map (!) might be worth looking into... even if it isn't historically accurate.

Anyway, as with DTWiD and its sequel there's no slot reservation. Submit a map in one of these three styles and we'll see which one fits into the line-up of pending maps! Depending on how many folks put forward, you might want to think of a backup release plan in case the map doesn't get featured.

Alfonzo said:

The good news for folks who despise M5 and M9 is that it doesn't have to be in the style of Willits.

There are people who despise the Willits maps? Heh, must say I think they're awesome. M5 is super-flowy thanks to his sister's killer layout, and M9 has some teeth, at least at the start.

I might -- might -- take a crack at a Willits or Anderson style map if I can clear out some time, and y'all ain't in no colossal hurry.

I'd still like to see someone tackle an E4 Sandymap, really. That would be interesting to see factoring in his Doom 2 experience.

So I've been working on a map that's all E4 like:

http://i.imgur.com/m6oF827.png
http://i.imgur.com/CcPARHz.png
http://i.imgur.com/LriDNCl.png
http://i.imgur.com/lOATxB2.png
http://i.imgur.com/W2LFlvf.png

This is built off of a map I started a while ago but didn't get anywhere with. I tried to channel John Anderson's mapping with this one. Petersen woulda been really fun, but I wanted to make the texturing nice and clean. Of course there are various elements inspired by the E4 crew as a whole!

Who should I send the download link to?

Send it off to Yours Truly if you want to keep it a surprise for players, assuming it fits the bill. You might be more interested in seeing how accurately the map lines up with the works of the author you're trying to emulate, however, in which case you can just punch it up in the thread here so we can review it in public, ala the original DTWiD.

Based on the screenshots alone, the level reminds me more of Plutonia than anything done by one of the id guys. But that's just a preliminary impression and entirely subjective.

@Doomkid: Sorry for the delayed response. A deadly concoction of laziness and intermitting assignments got in the way!

Anyhoo, I think the map's authenticity is a bit more miss than hit, and a fair bit will need doing if you want it to really fool an unwitting player into thinking it's an Anderson map. Granted, we're being a little more lenient this time around, so scoring a broad stroke accuracy of the style is mostly what's required here - homages remaining strictly out of bounds, of course (the E4M7 marble steps and sky imitation area in the southeast springs immediately to mind, and perhaps the sergeant pair standing dormant and at an angle near the exit). The layout didn't feel particularly Sleepy, and it's probably where I take the most issue. I tend to notice an abundance of deliberately spaced hallways in his maps that are filled with sleeplights and wrapped around a more centralized hub, series of hubs, or focal point/area that houses a key objective, whereas things here seem to be evenly scaled and spaced and lacking in that all-important emphasis on connecting areas and repeating motifs. Geryon.wad is probably the biggest outlier in Sleep's portfolio, but the linear and strung-together layout also doesn't seem to draw many parallels with this map's approach.

Two things that did work for me were the ending structure and the southwest lava pit area, which felt appropriately weak as structures representational of real life settings, remaining squarely in the realm of the abstract. It's one of the more difficulty aspects of Anderson's map design to pull off, I think.

I hope this feedback doesn't scare you away, heh. Xaser is also working on an Anderson map, so he might be able to provide you with a little more help if you want to give it another crack! There are a fair number of other visual and gameplay issues with the level, but tackling the layout first should pave the way toward an easier overhaul of all those other quibbles and bits.