Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Hi all. This is my 1st post.

Confessions:
NEVER played Doom on harder than the lowest difficulty level. Really. Now I have finished (this weekend) UD on HNTR and I'm in the middle of Doom II. I also haven't finished both Doom II and Final Doom(s). At least I have Doom Collector's Edition but whenever I want to play Doom, I download the retail wads from torrents. Quicker and less HDD space is used (I need only the wads, not Doom95 + other stuff). Never played Doom under DosBox, Chocolate Doom ftw.

I really like playing older games. Thought that my old PC (I have now very good, modern one) is incapable of games. So I was playing some old pixelated good classics from 90's. Would like to play Doom on my Android tablet but every source port have to be bought. Gotta try PSX Doom.

Also, haven't played any custom wad. And I know only how to get to E1M9. Other secret levels (except E4M9 because I've forgot that the entry is on E4M2) were done with a "little" help of Youtube. :) Wolfenstein-themed levels in Doom II are cool.

Last but not least: haven't tried multiplayer. My 1st multiplayer (and last) game was League of Legends but I was so terribly weak that I decided that I shouldn't play any multiplayer forever.

When I played back in the 90s, I could never beat Dead Simple. It frustrated the hell out of me. And I don't have the excuse of being a young'un. I was in college for heaven's sake. The spiders just scared me and I ran like crazy until they killed me, every time. (I'm going through it all again with chocolate doom on a PC now, almost finished Doom 1 E3, and I'm set on getting through Doom 1 and 2 on UV without cheats. Except maybe the Icon of Sin. Not counting on that one.)

Never tried Plutonia. Probably will eventually. Frankly, I don't find it very pretty, but I hear the play is good so it's worth a try.

About the time I was giving up on Dead Simple I learned the cheats. Played through Doom 2 with those to help, but funny how this made the game so much less interesting that I soon quit playing.

Not an admission, an explanation: I got nostalgic and bought the DOOM 1 app on my ipad about a year ago. The controls suck, but how cool is it to be able to play DOOM anywhere? After getting stuck on E4M2 (Perfect Hatred) on the ipad, I discovered the Doom Wiki and the many Doom videos on Youtube.

Which leads to the admission: I loooooove slaughter maps. Holy Hell and Sunder are two of my favorites. I understand that herding and BFG-ing mobs may be somewhat... um... lowbrow... to some of the Doom crowd. But I can watch slaughters all day. I hope to be able to play them someday.

(Beat my first slaughter zone in Sunder last week. Weeeeee!)

cosmicsquish said:

When I played back in the 90s, I could never beat Dead Simple.

Sounds a lot like my experience with Doom 64. On "Watch Me Die!" difficulty I could never beat Even Simpler despite me breezing through every other map.

Shit's crazy yo

cosmicsquish said:

(Beat my first slaughter zone in Sunder last week. Weeeeee!)

Gotta say, from not being able to beat Dead Simple and finishing Doom 2 with cheats to being able to beat a Sunder map is a pretty damn big improvement. :)

Update to my confession:
Just finished for the 1st time ever Doom II. On HNTR difficulty level.

Kotzugi said:

Gotta say, from not being able to beat Dead Simple and finishing Doom 2 with cheats to being able to beat a Sunder map is a pretty damn big improvement. :)

Oh no! Big clarification - I beat one *zone* meaning one room's horde of monsters. I'm far far from finishing a whole level of Sunder, but absurdly proud that I managed to circle and kill any kind of horde without totally panicking and dying. (Reference my history vs a handful of arachnos in dead simple.)

It helps to be older and less afraid. :)

ETA: the horde I mean is at 9:45 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sNKqhu6b8 I've gotten through the first big cavern too, though with many saves and redos and a complete absence of Okuplok's calm and elegance.

Yes, I confess that I find this game, at times, elegant. How weird is that? ;)

Memfis said:

Perhaps the reason I abandon all my projects is that they are almost never based on my own ideas. Instead they are usually attempts at recreating the styles of other wads. For example, I play through Marswar, it amazes me and I think that I could try making something similar. A few days later I play something else and I don't feel so inspired by Marswar anymore, so I don't have any interest in my project and I have to drop it.

Maybe if I had Dumbledore's memory thing, I could put all memories about playing Doom wads there, and then I could make maps based on nothing but my own ideas, just like they did in 1994. Oh wait, I don't have my own ideas so I couldn't make anything that way. I'm just a fake pretending to be a mapper when really I don't have the creativity that is necessary to be one. Fail. :p

All creative work copies others; nothing's created in a vacuum. Art movements don't come out of nowhere, there's a clear lineage of work and a connection to whats come before. Take the White Album by The Beatles, one of the most celebrated albums around, almost every track copies some other bands style. And yet through that process something new and influential is created.

Null said:

All creative work copies others; nothing's created in a vacuum. Art movements don't come out of nowhere, there's a clear lineage of work and a connection to whats come before. Take the White Album by The Beatles, one of the most celebrated albums around, almost every track copies some other bands style. And yet through that process something new and influential is created.

With the (de)mentality of aforementioned, each and every Doom wads and mods could be marked as plagarism, since they use the same textures, sprites, actions, etc. as the original game does. With the very exception of a few TC's.

A confession of a fish on fire ;
Just started a full DooM playtrough on UV after many many years of just randomly playing DooM and DooM 2, i came to realize that i do
not remember anything after 1.5 episode of doom and that i truly am starting to HATE and RESENT the entire Inferno episode. The levels
are just... 'AAARGH'. i concluded i actualy do not like most sandy peterson maps...

I don't know who that emotional Romero-looking guy in the armor that shows up in the top of the site occasionally is.

I think I know which guy he means and not The Rock, however the guy in the armor appears next to the picture of the other character in the Doom movie who fights the commander at the end, I don't understand why however since he is unrelated.

Jaxxoon R said:

I don't know who that emotional Romero-looking guy in the armor that shows up in the top of the site occasionally is.

I assume you mean

and

that's Karl Urban, who was the Doomguy in the movie, and who also played Eomer in the Lord of the Rings movies. I don't remember why I used that image, because I thought it was a funny juxtaposition I guess.

Well that explains it, however one of the other couplings of the site images don't make sense to me such as the Sergent with a background of a red doom guy dying.

I prefer Skulltag (Doom in Doom format) over Zdoom (Doom in UDMF format) for mapping.

Composing a song out of animal (and sometimes human) voices is kinda art.

@Doominator2: Hah! I remember I once skimmed a thread on the Post Hell music. Nevertheless this is a good video to have, if only to annoy the hell out of some people.

Guest Unregistered account

Here are a few.

I think that, when using the helium-like randomized pitching, the Doomguy's pain grunts sound like the sniper from Team Fortress 2.

I wish SkullTag hadn't died. (really wish it hadn't died.)

Joe667 said:

Here are a fewI wish SkullTag hadn't died. (really wish it hadn't died.)

Zandronum is the closest you'll ever get to SkullTag, at least I think so.

I already have Zandronum.
(With skulltag_data.pk3)

Joe667 said:

I wish SkullTag hadn't died. (really wish it hadn't died.)

Out of curiosity, why?

plums said:

Out of curiosity, why?

I arrived on the Doom scene too late for SkullTag. I downloaded it, watched the videos, without knowing it was down... damn, it just looked like the biggest thing! And I can't connect online with Zandronum. I'm sure it's an easily fixable problem, but... I don't know how.

I wanna use Zandronum. I really do. But it's just too far behind Zdoom and all its child ports to enjoy all of the fancier content coming out these days.

Ok, this won't be a confession, but rather a boast. Just a while ago, I killed an imp and a shotgun guy together with one shotgun blast.

Think about it for a second. 1 shotgun blast. And imp AND a shotgun guy. While it doesn't seem like anything remarkable, I'm pretty certain that for the damage to calculate this favorably is rare.

At first I thought that the SSG reload shells went in through the end of the barrels, as opposed to it in fact breaking open in the middle.

I really really HATE D_RUNNIN! So many people don't replace it, so I've heard THIRTY MILLION FRIGGIN TIMES.