Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Five Nights at Freddy's

I haven't played it. I've seen a few let's plays. I wouldn't say it's scary per se. Creepy? Hell yeah. Very suspenseful. You know those little fuckers are gonna pop out at you, just don't know when. The game does it very well.

Is that the one where the Teddy Bear jumps out at you? Another scary because its startling games.

reality 2.0 said:

I haven't played it. I've seen a few let's plays. I wouldn't say it's scary per se. Creepy? Hell yeah. Very suspenseful. You know those little fuckers are gonna pop out at you, just don't know when. The game does it very well.

For me, the lack of interactivity goes a way in making you feel helpless. There are no hotkeys, so you need the mouse for every task, which can be easy to screw up. Especially when Foxy is sanic-rushing you.

geo said:

Is that the one where the Teddy Bear jumps out at you? Another scary because its startling games.

Wrong on both counts.

"Bumpa dumpa dumpa dum" --The bear

So yea, this is indeed a fresh take on horror over the deluge of zombie survival crap on Steam.

It's more than jump scare, I'll have to say. Quite good. I like how it uses a concept not seen much in horror games; the entirety of the game involves you stationed in one spot, going against the instincts of running from monsters or danger. They have free roam and are quite stealthy, so the only protection you're going to have are those magnetic doors when they come close. You're a sitting duck with a security uniform.

Just bought it. When the bird appeared on the right, it took me a while to realize there were windows on the wall.

However, putting gameplay aside, after the first night, why the Hell comeback? And why unarmed? It's like that faggy player character from Carnevil who, after killing the final boss, decides to do the whole thing over again because... It was fun to watch your friends die and kill mutant monsters? I guess the player character just gets a boner for moving animatronics that look like big animals. If so, the game must be some kind of Furry propaganda that's a little backwards.

Clonehunter said:

Just bought it. When the bird appeared on the right, it took me a while to realize there were windows on the wall.

However, putting gameplay aside, after the first night, why the Hell comeback? And why unarmed? It's like that faggy player character from Carnevil who, after killing the final boss, decides to do the whole thing over again because... It was fun to watch your friends die and kill mutant monsters? I guess the player character just gets a boner for moving animatronics that look like big animals. If so, the game must be some kind of Furry propaganda that's a little backwards.

The game takes place in a Libertarian paradise. Mike Schmidt is a lowly employee and thus he must take whatever job he can (this is also why the pizza parlor has malfunctioning killer robots and little power reserves-all cost-cutting measures). Thanks Ron Paul

Mr. Freeze said:

The game takes place in a Libertarian paradise.

Oooh, so it could also mean that Mr. Schmidt is just smacked up on dope every night, and in reality we're trying to stop him from overdosing on the job.

edit:

So I decided to play it some more:

I clicked that. Why did I have to click that? I should have known... That's what I get for not reading context before clicking links.

Clonehunter said:

So I decided to play it some more:

--SPOOKY SCARY VIDEO--

That FUCKING fox! I think I just about managed to say "buuhhh!" the first time that shithouse decided to run at my office. I was not expecting that at all. 10/10 would shit pants again.

I remember seeing this about a month ago or so on Greenlight. It looked genuinely neat and a wonderfully fresh take on the horror game scene, so I guess I'll have to pick this up sometime.

Hah, I'm down to the last Night (5. There's also bonus nights actually, but it is Five Nights at Freddy's).

It seems like it's the goal to save at least 10 percent or so power once you reach 4 or 5 am, since you're generally guaranteed to survive the night even if the power goes out (Granted, the timing of 5 AM and your last bit of power heavily depends) since the clock still runs even in the dark.

Clonehunter said:

Hah, I'm down to the last Night (5. There's also bonus nights actually, but it is Five Nights at Freddy's).

It seems like it's the goal to save at least 10 percent or so power once you reach 4 or 5 am, since you're generally guaranteed to survive the night even if the power goes out (Granted, the timing of 5 AM and your last bit of power heavily depends) since the clock still runs even in the dark.

Also, play dead (aka don't move) once the power goes out. If you do this, Freddy will play his Carmen jingle longer.

Foxy's still the fucking worst at suddenly turning up and sffagafgsgfdBASTARD.

Note to self: close door as soon as that fucker's out from behind the curtain. Even if you don't look at him run down the hallway (and shit your pants in a panic), he'll just turn up and shove his head through the doorway without standing around outside first, unlike the others.

I don't get the concept of this game, from both the posts in this thread and watching the video and as a result didn't feel the slightest bit frightened.

What it appears to me is that you're a grave yard shift worker and theres a runaway teddy bear that gets you if you don't see it in time or something, and you have some kinda laptop thing with a limited battery to look at surveillance cameras to catch it running so you can tell where it is.

What's the harm in leaving both doors closed at all times?

You drain what pathetic reserves of power you have whenever you:
- Use the light(s)
- Close the (magnetically sealed) door(s)
- Check the camera feeds

Draining all the power is practically "you r ded", as the doors will open and leave you at Freddy's mercy (as he'll immediately reach your office and begin making a load of noise). If you're very lucky, he'll be too busy singing his stupid song and the clock will reach 6AM before he finishes and goes all booga booga on you. But that's generally not likely.

The fear comes from the tension that the game creates (and this doesn't really translate well when you're merely watching someone else play). You can't check on all three regular characters at once, and the fourth one is a complete cunt that will wreck your shit with little warning beforehand. There's also a fifth enemy, but that's more of an easter egg and easily avoided.

I'm not sure that answers my question. What's the harm in leaving the doors closed? Does it use more power to keep them closed than opening and closing them repeatedly? That doesn't make sense to me :/

What does the light do?

Also it didn't really occur to me that there were more than one enemy to keep track of.

40oz said:

I'm not sure that answers my question. What's the harm in leaving the doors closed? Does it use more power to keep them closed than opening and closing them repeatedly? That doesn't make sense to me :/

What does the light do?

Makes perfect sense. Takes power to run an electromagnet to keep the door sealed!

The lights will let you see if anything's lurking outside your office doors; the camera 'blind spots' just happen to be right next to said office, so once something's at the door it's time to slam that fucker shut and hope they go away soon so that you can open it again to stop using power.

Basically the mechanics are what make the game. You start with a limited power supply (100%)that slowly drains through the night by default. Any action you do (aside from turning left/right) will drain the power quicker, meaning you have to use everything sparingly. Looking at the camera monitor drains power, using the light switches drains power, and keeping the doors closed drains power.

To simply answer the doors question - yes, keeping them closed drains the power faster, meaning you can't keep them closed for the entire night or your power will run out before rather quickly. It may not make sense in real life but for the purposes of the game it fits the mechanic very well.

As Baron mentioned the lights are there for you to see if one of the creeps is outside your door. If they are right outside the doors you cannot see them in the cameras and the only way to check is to flick the light switch on. Keeping the lights on drains power faster so again you cannot keep them on all night. The creeps will stand outside the doorways for a tiny bit before coming in to kill you so if you can't spot them on the monitors it is imperative to check the lights to see if they are there. Should you spot them with the lights you have to close the door ASAP or you are a dead security guard. When the doors are closed you need to keep using the lights to see if they are still standing outside before you can open the doors again.

The only one who will not stand outside the doorway is the Fox. He will run right for the security office and the only way you know he is coming is if you hear his footsteps or catch a glimpse of him running down one of the hallways on the monitor, at which point you have maybe a couple of seconds to slam the door shut and stop him.

The key is that in order to make it to 6AM you need to reserve enough power that the office doesn't shut down completely. Once it does you are basically done (unless you are very close to the 6AM mark, in which case you might have a chance).

On a separate tangent I downloaded the demo for Five Night's at Freddy's on Monday. After playing through a little bit I then rewatched the trailer & gameplay videos for Among the Sleep. I had some fucking creepy ass dreams that night involving being the main character in a game that combined both aspects and fuck me did it feel real until I woke up.

Kirby said:

The key is that in order to make it to 6AM you need to reserve enough power that the office doesn't shut down completely. Once it does you are basically done (unless you are very close to the 6AM mark, in which case you might have a chance).

Although I've only seen gameplay videos I want to say the long pause before Freddy gets you once the power goes out is ingenious and very well crafted. It creates insane amounts of fear if you run out of power late into 5am because you have a long pause of tension and doubt as to whether or not you survived the night. And if you didn't... Heh.

40oz said:

The doors are magnetically locked, in the event of a fire they would fly open to prevent you from being trapped.

40oz said:

What does the light do?

The cameras directly in front of your office have blind spots, which the light covers instead. It's a good way to check on Bonnie or Chica if you can't find them on the map.

Alright, so I do have a question about one mechanic that shows up on the 4th night like a bad nightmare drifting over into night terror zone. I still have yet to figure out how to stop Freddy specifically when he starts showing up in the corner of the east hall next to the security office (every time I look at that camera....*shudder*). I've shut the door when he's out there and yet he still seems to be able to get me and I don't know what means to use to prevent him from doing so. Looking at the camera doesn't seem to help and he never shows up in front of the doorways. How are you supposed to keep him at bay when he start showing up there?

Kriby said:
I still have yet to figure out how to stop Freddy specifically when he starts showing up in the corner of the east hall next to the security office (every time I look at that camera....*shudder*).

As soon as the night begins, start checking the stage periodically, just like you would with Pirate Cove, and make sure that Freddy never leaves (or at least try to keep him there as long as possible).

That fucking bear's a dirty cheating bastard. I don't think he really 'retreats' like Bonnie and Chica would when the door is closed, instead being really persistent and stubborn. As far as I can tell, you can only slow him down by catching him on camera as he shambles his way to the office. Eventually he should fuck off back a few rooms while the door's closed, but he's really, really shitty about doing it.

Stygian said:

As soon as the night begins, start checking the stage periodically, just like you would with Pirate Cove, and make sure that Freddy never leaves (or at least try to keep him there as long as possible).

Never been able to keep him there for more than an hour of game time. As soon as I check Pirate Cove, Freddy's off on an adventure to find hunny and fuck my night up.

And Freddy decides to BoogaBooga me to death before finishing his stupid little jingle yet again. This is the third fucking time in as many attempts that I've run out of power thanks to Foxy being a horrible spiteful and perpetual corridor-sprinting prick, and then that ursine twat just goes ahead and music box's his way to a cheap win.

Bonnie and Chica? Surprisingly well behaved.