The powerup spheres

My favorite powerup sphere was...  

15 members have voted

1. 1. My favorite powerup sphere was...

• The invisibility sphere
    • The invinciblity sphere
    • The Soulsphere
    • The Megasphere

Invisibility. The bastards could still hit you, but their job was made that bit harder.

The invincibility/soul/megaspheres always came across as a bit unrealistic, like, WHAM - you've got a zillion percent health.

Invulnurability hands down - that white PoV effect just rocked (and the Doomguy's face looked really cool with the glowing eyes) and allowed you to do things you couldn't normally do (like cutting a BoH to pieces with the chainsaw).

The invisibility sphere is probably my most hated sphere (sorry Spike).
90% of the time I get that thing, I wound up taking more damage than without it, because the monster attacks get all the more unpredictable) - I hate to wear the partial invisibility effect whenever I encounter a cybiedemon.

Heheh, the Mancubus is worse - only one of his flame-bursts is ever aimed directly at you, so u end up sidestepping into the other one :)

Spike said:

Heheh, the Mancubus is worse - only one of his flame-bursts is ever aimed directly at you, so u end up sidestepping into the other one :)

Well, I've got pretty used to dealing with them fat basrads, so they ain't a problem (been playing Doom 2 map07 a lot lately).

Actually I think that projectile attacks (imp fireballs, BoH goo) is more dangerous when partially invisible. When you are normally visible it is easy to dodge them because you know where they will go. When partially invisible they will go at odd angles and is therefore a royal pain to dodge.

Partial invisibility is a great boon when facing lots of shotgun sargeants or chaingunners.

I like the soulsphere. I like the cool looking face that appears as though it's in anguish inside the sphere. Very cool. Plus, you get 100% health.

Heh, with the orignal doom and doom2 I keep ignoring the invincibility spheres every time i find them thinking "naa I'll save them till later" but I keep getting to the end of the level and discovering that I've killed everything and i've wasted a perfectly good invincibility sphere. It's not at all diffeclt to finish doom and doom 2 without picking up any invincibility spheres. But Geez, I wish wad makers would stick some in a little more often... AV.WAD map 26: Dark Dome would be a good example...

Damn your hide...

I liked the Soul Spheres the most. I remember thinking they were incredibly cool when I first played shareware Doom.

And I hate partial invisibility, it's easier to dodge projectiles without it.

agree with Lil' Faith and Archvile teh partioal invisibility sucks. If I pick it up I just wait and hang around till it wears off, unless dealing with bullet-firing monsters.

I love the Soul Sphere's colour, it is the best looking sphere by far, but Megasphere is just too cool. 200% the works. Thanks!