Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Location of the Mars moon bases

I've come to give it a thought on where the Phobos and Deimos moon bases would be located on their respective surfaces. I am guessing the Stickney crater is most likely for Episode 1 due to its size and either the Swift or an unnamed crater for Episode 2. Even the Gulliver, Drunlo or Reldresel crater regions seem candidates for E1 as well.

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

I don't think that many Doomers have knowledge about real Martian geography, definitely not enough to estimate a real fitting place for Doom's happenings. I personally don't, even in the slightest. I also don't believe that anything from this discussion would ever matter, because Doom (being a fiction) doesn't give us any clue. So - what darkreaver says, sorry for spoiling the fun. :) (I'm actually sorry, I can't provide reasonable on-topic answers)

They'd be nowhere, because the effect of gravity on either moon is laughable. It's a case of Did Not Do The Research on id's part, not that they would probably have given two fucks anyway. But there's a reason why Doom 3 takes place on Mars itself...

BaronOfStuff said:

They'd be nowhere, because the effect of gravity on either moon is laughable. It's a case of Did Not Do The Research on id's part...

Not if you take artificial gravity into account. But that would create other plot holes and absurdities, so you get a point.

BaronOfStuff said:

They'd be nowhere, because the effect of gravity on either moon is laughable.

To be fair, you visit Deimos when it's only a portion floating above hell, so it's more of a floating island than a moon with its own gravity at that point.

Glaice said:

What are your thoughts?

Interplanetary travel isn't an economically viable option, or all that safe, so the UAC's "Mars bases" are actually located on Earth, inside top secret Alien Environment Simulator facilities.

It's Capricorn One all over again.

My knowledge of Martian geography is limited, my knowledge of the geography of the moons even more so. Besides, we're talking about a game wherein Phobos appears to have huge mountains and a breathable atmosphere, and Deimos ends up hovering so close over the surface of hell that it's possible to literally rappel down to the surface, despite how little sense that makes from any angle. Science and logic have no place here.

BaronOfStuff said:

They'd be nowhere, because the effect of gravity on either moon is laughable.

Why do you think there's no fall damage in Doom?

Why do you think Doomguy never dares to jump?

Gez said:

Using the rocket launcher would be pretty funny on real gravity Phobos. Mars would get its own planetary ring made of demon giblets.

Gez said:

He should also avoid wallrunning up flights of steps.

Gez said:

I'd argue that he might very well be jumping when climbing the 3 foot max area, it's actually quite a stretch (literally) to step that high. I suppose in that sense you could say that Doom has the most elegant implementation of 1st person platforming. Wanna jump up to that ledge? Just walk into it and it'll happen automatically. Wanna jump across that gap? Just run over it and Doomguy will catch himself if you hit the ledge within 3 feet of its floor.

Really, I somehow doubt that it's necessary to do anything more in an FPS game where platforming isn't a main focus. That isn't to say that platforming doesn't have any place in 1st person (though some would argue otherwise), I just think a manual jump feature would be more appropriate with more Mario-like level design than your typical FPS architecture. And if you're going to have platforming as a focus, it's better to have a high jump that you can cut short by releasing the jump key before the peak height is reached. A fixed and low jump height doesn't justify a 1st person manual jump, in my (probably stupid and misguided) opinion.

Phobos and Deimos were both terraformed for their atmosphere and low radius gravity well generators were installed beneath the bases' footprints.

In this image of Phobos you can clearly see Knee Deep in the Dead takes place in the two large impressions on the left side of the moon:
http://keithlaney.net/images/6_7926_phobos_nadir-1-TNR.png
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090214004528/doom/images/e/e0/Episode1_intermission.png

Sodaholic said:

Really, I somehow doubt that it's necessary to do anything more in an FPS game where platforming isn't a main focus. That isn't to say that platforming doesn't have any place in 1st person (though some would argue otherwise), I just think a manual jump feature would be more appropriate with more Mario-like level design than your typical FPS architecture. And if you're going to have platforming as a focus, it's better to have a high jump that you can cut short by releasing the jump key before the peak height is reached. A fixed and low jump height doesn't justify a 1st person manual jump, in my (probably stupid and misguided) opinion.

I totally agree with you. I don't think jumping adds much of value to the majority of FPS games anymore. Obviously it's earned a place in games like Quake, but I don't think the majority of FPS games would suffer without a jump key. Maybe it's just bias from playing so much Doom, and GoldenEye and its descendants.

Maybe id thought Phobos and Deimos are as big as the Moon before they got to research them?

I don't get why's the skies, though. Both episodes look like they take place on Earth. We know Episode 1 is based on Yangshuo Mountains, China. I wonder what is Episode 2's sky based on. Latin America? Or is that just Cleimos, which does take place on the Caribbean?

printz said:

We know Episode 1 is based on Yangshuo Mountains

Not only is it based on the mountains, the sky is pretty much an exact photo of the Yangshuo mountains.