Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Dream Doom feature

Doominator2 said:
I would love to have red faction like destructible environments. It would probably be very hard without rebuilding the entire maps.

It would probably be very hard without rebuilding the entire maps.

*laughs* It would be impossible without rebuilding the entire engine. Even wall decals had been too much to implement in the time of Doom's development.

Kappes Buur said:

While floors can move up or down, it would be great if there were floors
which can move in the horizontal plane.

As far as I "know" this doesn't "compute" with the underlying bsp structure of the map... or one had to dynamically re-partition the map on demand.
Blood/Duke and Co. could pull it off because the level's visibility is handled via portals - simple but very clever move by build author Silverman.

scifista42 said:

*laughs* It would be impossible without rebuilding the entire engine. Even wall decals had been too much to implement in the time of Doom's development.

Ha ha ya I totally left out the thought about the engine's capability's when I wrote the post.

Doominator2 said:

Ha ha ya I totally left out the thought about the engine's capability's when I wrote the post.

I thought the thread was about DREAM features, not those limited by the engine. In that case, there isn't much I would like that isn't in the game already. Maybe 2-3 differing gib animations.

Been reading through this for more ideas for DoomLegacy. Some we already got you know, and others are already on my TODO.

Single save game.
Had considered some system of support for enforcing a single death. If it did not mark the accomplishment in some way that could be proven to other players, then might not be worth it.
More than a few players play that way. I have played that way, up to a point.
Played Alien Vendetta Map18 last night, and had to save every 10 seconds. My "difficult" Doom wad motto, when they cheat, I cheat (in self defense).

Horz. moving sectors.
Not impossible, just have to treat such sectors as open space in the BSP. Would require an in-game node-builder.
It then becomes a matter of where the boundaries are at the current time and what kinds of walls it adds.
The transparent texture, and 3d floor code already handles similar sorting problems.

Climbing: On my TODO.
Player Sprites is the problem. In coop and deathmatch the other players can see the climbing player. If they are to "climb" instead of "float" they need a climbing animation, that does not exist in any of the wads.

Sliding door: Someone started code on this but did not finish.
Can be done using fragglescript, as can be seen in hth2.wad on DoomLegacy.

A player animation for running and shooting at the same time.

I literally had a dream last night. I was playing some Doom 2 or Plutonia level (probably MAP24 the Chasm) and the game had Dark Souls like online features. There were messages left by other players near the traps and secret doors and two other players invaded me on my playthrough. Waking up I've realized that those features suit Doom really well. Alas they couldn't possible be implemented in vanilla Doom back then because it wasn't client/server and Internet multiplayer was not as widespread mid 90's as it is now. Bringing these features to any modern source port would be useless too since there are not so many Doom players today, much less are playing the same port, sadly.

Krispy said:

Split screen mode.

Patrol1985 said:

Automatic conversion of a demo into a video and a subsequent upload to youtube. All with as few mouse clicks as possible.

40oz said:

A player animation for running and shooting at the same time.

All of this a thousand times over!

I also wish Carmack had never removed slopes. Even though they're possible in modern ports, it would be nice if they were universal. Quake still would have been seen as a huge leap (which is what he was worried about) on account of the game's actors being full 3D.

Also, like Grazza said, the MUS format sucks a dick. It sucks ass having to convert MIDI files to MUS format for compatibility with Legacy. At the very least it could have been more accurate to true MIDI.

Orchid87 said:

There were messages left by other players near the traps and secret doors

This is a really interesting idea, the ability to leave helpful notes on the map until someone exits. Would be similar to the signs in Minecraft which are generally helpful.

A good, generally-accepted method for doing this.

Megawads would have a way to no longer hide their gems, single-map wads would get more attention, etc.

An easier way of making deep water in ZDoom.

@Tuxlar, Odamex is capable of easy wad rotation, even between wads that require different resources. Its nice having a playlist of the best maps of several megawads without having to slog through the duds. I've played many servers that do this, though I don't know exactly how - An odamex guru should be of help.

I would love to see wad rotation on-the-fly become a port standard, and in a way that's easy for users to configure. I think Eternity does this too (I could be wrong!)

@MFG, it's really easy to make deep water the Legacy way, and it works in Zandronum. I'm not sure about ZDoom though!

@bytor, if only if only...

I would like LUA scripting for everything, from general scripting to monster AI to weapon effects to HUD scripting (like 3DGE's COAL). To replace ACS and DECORATE 100%.

Doomkid said:

I would love to see wad rotation on-the-fly become a port standard, and in a way that's easy for users to configure. I think Eternity does this too (I could be wrong!)

Most importantly, it ought to be easy to share and use. It should work as loading any wad works now, along with even a way to auto-acquire all its required resource wads, map wads, etc.

I do not have a dream feaure but more or less an idea for which i am to lazy to try and code it into an existing port ;

The Cube thing ;
A true 3D OPENGL or DX cube. A tiny remote tagged sector decides the cube its textures and the height at which it floats.
Using a bit of caco-demon code and modern source ports their finite height it could be made a platform to stand on or under.
The Thing would allow the cube to be integrated with the map without having to touch the bsp.

The removal of Revenants as a valid enemy type for Doom maps, replaced by something better if need be.

Otherwise I only dream that one day people streaming Doom content will be ridiculously popular and thus further keep Doom alive for another 500 years.

Something akin to Brutal Doom, but professional. Enemies that can attack and die in various ways, monster weapon pickups, alt firing modes. I think it could have been handled with subtlety and finesse if put in the right hands.

Suitepee said:

The removal of Revenants as a valid enemy type for Doom maps, replaced by something better if need be.

Yes! Like flying Revenants!

esselfortium said:

Yes! Like flying Revenants!

I shudder as I realise somebody has probably already made that in realm667 somewhere.....or will do to torment me in the future!

Brush based map editing and lightmap lighting. Yup, I want quake style maps with Doom sprites, physics and graphics.

After messing with the shaders mod for Minecraft, it would be really cool to see something similar for Doom. Nice shadows, rippling reflective water... probably not going to happen (and would look bizarre with sprites no doubt).

Also, I wish there was a Thing flag for when a level begins with a pistol start (rather than a carry over).

mikeo007 said:

Brush based map editing and lightmap lighting. Yup, I want quake style maps with Doom sprites, physics and graphics.

Would it be subject to the same fog algorithm as the sector lights, or just flat as it is in Quake itself? I imagine it would look really cool with the Doom fog algorithm.

Still, the fog algorithm was more of a compensation for flat and solid sector lighting - essentially trying to do the same job as lightmaps by having light contrast blended in the same area. 32X Doom did flat lighting and it looked pretty shit. Doom 64 was more Quake-like in that you could define lights per small surface area with fog being treated like actual fog and not a weird and unrealistic lighting method.

It would be worth experimenting with regardless to see how lightmaps with would look Doom's diminishing lighting (official term used by id, since while it basically was fog it was not supposed to represent fog).

mikeo007 said:

Bam