Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

Burgalveist v3.14159265359

Implemented skill settings and further tweaked some ammo and monster counts, and added some music.

40oz said:

Though in the future I'd probably recommend mixing up the types of traps

I thought the same thing while making the map, but it was a conscious design decision. Monster closets take up valuable real estate, and I wanted to have as much navigable floor space as possible. I don't normally use teleport traps anywhere near as much as I have here.

I'll finally, FINALLY have a fucking day off work tomorrow, so I'll be able to make any last-minute tweaks, if necessary. I'll check the thread and my PMs throughout the day for any further communication.

Edit: 666th post!

thanks for the feedback guys! Sorry for my absence, but i'm on holiday and i don't have internet or anything... so, if someone can work on my map i'll be very glad!

No problem! I'll have a look at it today and make the changes I mentioned myself. Sorry the deadline is interfering with your vacation, but ill see to it that your map gets in the pack! :)

-----------
Cybercage
-----------

A 1024 version of Plutonia MAP31, Cyberden. Very cool! Played on UV, using ZDoom. Saved a lot. Died a lot. There's a lot happening in a small space, so tension is high. But not constant. That's because action happens in waves. Meaning, confined to the buildings. Not much point to monsters in the open because the Cybers would kill them in the crossfire. With Cybers in the corners, there's a lot less time to avoid missiles. but you can usually run between buildings if you're quick. This map is all about strategy and tactics, about finding the 'sweet spots' because brute force will get you killed every time. Before entering the first building, I opened the other barred doors. The south building had three Revenants and Three Hell Knights in it. Kept opening the door and sticking my face up to the bars, then moving back. Eventually got them in-fighting. That killed the Revanants and one Hell Knight. Once in a great while a Hell Knight attack would go exactly between the bars and hit me, but I think I dodged all but one.

The first building Baron killed me twice until I figured out I could ignore him and grab the SSG, ammo, and go for the stairs since the Chaingunners would shoot and hit him, drawing his attacks. SSG'd the Hell Knight on the stairs and happily grabbed the Rocket Launcher and rockets (which are useless inside the tight buildings). Wonderful use of space in this building. Love the under then over path to the first switch. Two AVs pop in? Nasty. Learned to cross the doorway linedef which released them, quickly back up off the building and shoot rockets until they died. Opened the door, let the Baron exit and rocketed him. Hit the first switch, which gave access to the second building (which in-fighting had mostly cleared) and released the first Cyber. Then silence. First wave ended. Time to think and breathe.

Entering the third building pops in three Chaingunners. If you kill them, more pop in. Figured out to walk in and back out again, back to the first building, usually without being hit by Cybers. Here's more good map design and strategy. There's a 'sweet spot' on either side of the first building which lets you shoot rockets directly into either third building side alcove, killing the Chaingunner(s), and Revenants without much risk. Then you can enter the building shooting the middle Chaingunner, get to the side and kill everything else that pops in. But first, you have to kill the first Cyber. Before that you have to kill the second Cyber. You can climb the stairs by the fourth (inactive) Cyber and shoot rockets across the map to kill the second Cyber while being blocked from the first Cyber. Then go to the second Cyber platform and shoot rockets completely through the second building at the first Cyber. I love that. In both spots you can sidle left to be safe from return Cyber rockets and rocket splash. Once you clear the fourth building you have enough Shells to SSG the third Cyber using a peekaboo from behind the third building wall right next to him. Save often. The second time through I realized I didn't have to release the fourth Cyber until after I had killed the third. Killed the fourth by strafing with the Plasma Gun from the door of the first building to the door of the fourth building. There are handy large blocks by each door which provide complete cover.

Once you hit all four switches behind the Cybers, the exit opens. But it's not the real exit. Walking into it opens a previously hidden switch in the first building which opens the real exit. It also releases fourteen Revenants who teleport in right next to that switch. Oh, did I mention it also awakens a Spider Mastermind who shows up in the space between all four buildings? Once you kill everything (the top of the stairs spot you used before to kill the second Cyber works great for the Spiderboss, too), you can hit the last switch and walk into the exit, which is actually a secret exit to MAP32. Oh, I went back and counted when I finished. There were six Medkits and eight Stimpacks still available after I healed up to 100%. I should have needed more. I got lucky in the fourth building and only took one punch from a Revenant. Yay, Plasma Gun. Here's what I finished with the second time through. The first time through I had more rockets and zero cells. Would have had a lot more cells if I hadn't gome back to activate the Spiderboss.

http://i.imgur.com/eqkGnmX.png

A couple of minor issues. I stepped into the phony exit and back quickly. I suspected something because the automap didn't show red exit linedefs. I heard the Revenants teleport in, but the Spiderboss didn't. I guess I was too fast for it to see me through its 'tunnel'. First, suggest tagging those linedefs as S1 or SR OpenRedFastStayOpen so they'll look like exit linedefs on the automap. That would also probably prevent stepping in and out fast like I did. I'm not sure how else to fix the Spiderboss without making the 'tunnel' taller. Second, it bothered me that there was only a secret exit to MAP32 and no regular exit back to MAP16. How about if you make the current, secret exit the regular exit to MAP16 and borrow the exit trick from Breezeep and Marcaek's 'And All That Could Have Been' and make the start pad the secret exit. Or better, make the phony exit the real secret exit. Forget the OpenRedFastStayOpen and have those linedefs trigger a Voodoo Doll exit, but only after hitting the last switch. Hitting the last switch could also lower the WOODGARG eyes revealing another EXIT texture behind it.

Well thought out, well designed. This is a great map! Loved it.

According to the OP, this is the last map that wasn't reviewed. Everything else is pending changes.

Just posting to announce that the window for submitting new OR updated maps has been closed! Maps in any status other than OK will now be taken in or omitted from the map list as is!!

I will compile the completed maps into a beta sometime today (within the next ten hours), accompanied by a change log to identify even the slightest modifications to your map during compilation or any urgent last minute bug fixes. I encourage everyone to look over it between then and September 1st to locate any problems, typos or other negligence I may have made so that I can make hotfixes and roll out the final version on the assigned release date.

thank you!!

40oz said:

Just posting to announce that the window for submitting new OR updated maps has been closed! Maps in any status other than OK will now be taken in or omitted from the map list as is!!

Why isn't my second map OK'd? I removed some of the blocking lines, to make the caco fly when it reaches the sideways.

Oh well, I liked the idea Effin gave me about the "fake" exit lines on the automap.

gothic said:

Oh well, I liked the idea Effin gave me about the "fake" exit lines on the automap.

I do too. I could change that for you and put it in the beta for you if you'd like. :)

Marcaek said:

Why exactly september 1st, again?

no reason in particular.

joe-ilya said:

Why isn't my second map OK'd? I removed some of the blocking lines, to make the caco fly when it reaches the sideways.

Sorry, I just didn't get a chance to play the latest version, and I haven't been good about keeping the map list up to date this last week. I'll look at it today but from what it sounds like it sounds good to me! I'll give it one more look and if there's any new problems with it, I'll change it for the beta.

Breezeep said:

I don't know about that, 40oz, that could turn this into a mixed bag wad.

not sure what you mean. Maps that are blatantly unfinished or highly error prone will most likely be left out. Many people here were ver good about updating their maps many times so I'll do what's necessary to keep their work from going to waste. If they're within a stones throw of being OK'd I'll get it in the list, perhaps with modifications made by myself that will be listed in the change log. The days between the first beta and the final release will be the time to discuss them. Does that address any concerns you might have?

40oz said:

I do too. I could change that for you and put it in the beta for you if you'd like. :)

Thanks.
Also, am I the only who can't access to Mediafire?

Plutonia 1024 Beta is here!

(Requires PLUTONIA.WAD IWAD to play!)

I encourage everyone to have a look at the beta, especially their own maps in the list to check for any errors that may have come from porting the map into a new mapslot. Changelog is included in the zip that documents any changes I had to make to your map. Please check that your map got the music you selected for it, the appropriate sky you wanted, and that your map title is spelled correctly (in the automap and in the intermission graphics!) Please help me iron out any bugs or errors in time for the release! Thanks!!

Final Maplist is below

MAP01: Mt. Lazarev
MAP02: Tenochtitlan
MAP03: Plutonic Plate Shift
MAP04: Confinement Point
MAP05: It's a Trap!
MAP06: The Den
MAP07: Green Destiny
MAP08: Midnight
MAP09: Blood Waves
MAP10: Surrounded
MAP11: Fatalist
MAP12: Problematic Conditions
MAP13: Burgalveist
MAP14: And All That Could Have Been
MAP15: Archipelago
MAP16: Fellspring
MAP17: The Pool of Blood
MAP18: Litany
MAP19: Constant Motion
MAP20: Marcaek's A Map! (working title)
MAP21: Todofina
MAP22: Atomic Garden
MAP23: Bloodlust
MAP24: Ascent
MAP25: Archi's Untitled (working title)
MAP26: Vice
MAP27: Necroseptic Gut-Plunger
MAP28: Halls of Pain

MAP31: Cybercage
MAP32: The Sickening Grove

CorSair said:

I think I do some demos... Oh and 40oz, what about some built-in demos?

That sounds great!! Would you like to record them? Also would you wait until Beta 2? Some maps might get modified and your demos will get out of sync.

joe-ilya said:

Why did you remove the vines at the HK and spectre room? They're supposed to block you from accesing out of the 1024 box.

BTW, here's an updated version of ENDOOM: https://www.mediafire.com/?mibxtw5gemg8rdv

thanks for the endoom Joe! when I reviewed your map at one point I said the window looked big enough for the player to jump out into the water, so I suggested putting some vines inside the window to make it look like you can't. When you put vines in front of the window and the trap monsters i thought you misunderstood me. I actually really liked the hell knight being able to close you in that tiny area. Would you prefer it changed back?

FullMoonDog said:

MAP12: Problematic Conditions

I noticed some misaligned brick textures in the starting area, I think someone should fix this.

Thanks FullMoonDog! I'll have a look!

40oz said:

I actually really liked the hell knight being able to close you in that tiny area. Would you prefer it changed back?

If you want this to be a 1024 wad and not a 1024+128x32 wad then you should.

Ehhh....I know you said you weren't accepting more maps, but I might as well just throw this one out there.

Download.

Name: Drowning Pool
Authors: General Rainbow Bacon and Obsidian
Format: Boom
Music: "Sepulchral" by Hellish Godzilla(from the Plutonia MIDI Pack)

We kind of made this a few days ago over Skype: GRB did the basic layout and gameplay and I did the detailing and tweaking. Even if you don't use it I reckon it's a nice map and I've got a little collection of 1024 maps I've been making every now and again, so it won't go to waste.

Shiiiiit, I had to handle a lot of bureaucratic stuff in the last week because of the upcoming new semester and well, forgot a bit how close to finish this project is D:

Anyway, so I'm at least useful for something:

Noticed with the right combination of switches CorSair's MAP26 can be exited without the last Revenants and Cyberdemon ever teleporting in. Not sure if that's ideal...

I suppose the yellow skull texture on the right in joe-ilya's MAP22 is badly aligned...?

@40oz
I see you already added monster blocking in CorSair's MAP26 where the monsters falling off in boom compability were the biggest problem. Another place where I think they are needed would be the place where the 1st Arch-vile teleports in MAP01 - it's pretty easy for him to fall off if you're berserking him. I'm definitely going to UV-max all maps with some IDDQD help till tomorrow to make sure there are no more bugs or inconveniences like this.

The way how you handle the dehacked for a Boom-compatible WAD is very unusual and causing unnecessary complications:
- the music for map01 doesn't work - it works if I just rename the track to D_RUNNIN
- maps 05 and 32 have last letters cut off in the automap (even in ZDoom)
If you're interested I can handle the map names and properly rename the tracks to the standard format myself.

The maps aren't currently in the order for anyone who would open the map in an editor (at least in Slade... do other editors fix the order?) creating a bit of an inconvenience. Are you going to change this in the final release? Again, I can do it myself if you don't have time bothering with this finicky stuff.

Starting playthrough as well:

map01:
- The blue armor secret still inaccessible/very tough to access with some sr50 and several tries required...? The platform just needs to be lower or possible to be lowered like a lift or something.

- The chaingunners in the yellow key trap need blocking lines behind them otherwise they can easily fall off in -complevel 9.

EDIT: some nitpicks:
map02: The area which is opened by the yellow switch below the mancubus platform could be tagged as a secret.

map03: Might need some monster-blocking lines by the railings so that every other corpse isn't hanging in the air and everything is nice and pretty :D

map05: Grammar Nazi in the action: It's "it's" not "its", for the love of tits. (it's correct in the automap)

joe-ilya said:

If you want this to be a 1024 wad and not a 1024+128x32 wad then you should.

I think I can live with that :P

Keyboard_Doomer said:

dehacked music
dehacked mapnames
map order

I decided to go with Dehacked instead of .BEX because I was more familiar with it and was able to write it in a text editor using pl2's dehacked patch as a template. The music handling was a cost-cutting way of repositioning the music that's already in the PLUTONIA.WAD IWAD, instead of importing duplicate files in their place. I dunno if the work was worth it but it shaved off a megabyte I think. The music in MAP01 is still a mystery, and changing D_MAP01 to D_RUNNIN works but it effects the music for MAP20, which uses PLUTONIA.WAD's D_RUNNIN (which is D_E1M2 from Doom) If I don't figure it out then I'll just remove the two entries in the dehacked patch and just put the respective midi files in as D_RUNNIN and D_MESSAG.

I must have miscounted the number of characters for the map title entries in the dehacked patch. Thank you for catching that :)

The maps were in order inside the wad file at one point, but I did some hotfixes to many of the maps before I uploaded, mostly the sky transfers. When I saved the maps in DB2 it put them all out of order. I can fix that for the next update, I think.

Captain Toenail said:

I've just started playing through the wad. Up to Map06.

Thanks for all the observations Cpt Toenail! The exact dimensions for the teleport pad are gonna give me a headache, but I suppose it's necessary.

I'm up to map12 now, and the only thing I've really noticed is the inconsistent start and exit pads on various levels.

However after thinking about it, changing the height of some of the pads would have a detrimental effect on some of the levels. For example, on map12 if you raised the pad to the correct height it may block the Cyberdemon's rockets. I guess you could just assume the pad is half-buried in the ground, makes sense.

I would definitely change the pads that don't have correct lighting however. (the black lighting will cause problems for pads against walls - might need to use brightness transfers here, or an offset floor flat that will let you move the pad 32 units diagonally).

40oz said:

That sounds great!! Would you like to record them? Also would you wait until Beta 2? Some maps might get modified and your demos will get out of sync.

Yeah, I can do them. I think I can make them entertaining enough to watch through, since I have tendency to do stupid stuff = yet another stupid death to my belt. I can give the beta2 file with the built-in demos, or send me the finalized wad, and I'll include the demos in.

Also, more about demos; I made few of them this morn, from maps 01-06.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/io2wua388kk4hy7/AAC8b6jyNoojeDV0bROnNcUua?dl=0

Let me know if there are problems in demo playback, and I'll do another run. ;)

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Noticed with the right combination of switches CorSair's MAP26 can be exited without the last Revenants and Cyberdemon ever teleporting in. Not sure if that's ideal...

Well bummer. Thought I ironed this out... Gonna see if I can figure this out...

The combination of Plutonia and 1024 mapping restrictions intrigues me, having recently played through Plutonia and a 1024 megawad (joe-ilya's) for the first time.
I may stream the final version of this after BTSXE2.