Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

Other games in the style of Heretic and Hexen?

Heretic and Hexen seem pretty unique to me, I think they're awesome games. I was wondering if there were any other games in the tradition of Heretic and Hexen? I of course know about Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. I'm also interested in mods for Heretic\Hexen with new content like weapons\textures\monsters. Is there anything noteworthy? I know about Necrosis but that was pretty short, but good though.

Episode 3 of Daikatana. It takes place in medieval Norway and has some notable Heretic/Hexen influences. You have a set of medieval style magical weapons and gloomy castles and crypts settings. John Romero worked with Raven on Heretic, so I think episode 3 is kind of a hommage.

I can't tell if you mean something literally close to Heretic and HeXen, FPS in a fantasy setting or FPS that involve non human enemies?

For something close to Heretic and HeXen, I guess I would suggest Wheel of Time.

For the general aesthetic of the game, Raven's previous titles Black Crypt and Shadowcaster are worth a try. (Especially Shadowcaster.) But they don't have Doom-like gameplay.

Fun Fact: Phocas Island 2 was started out as a Hexen project. I forgot why/when I changed it to Doom. That's the main reason I used a couple Hexen monsters.

Black Crypt and Shadowcaster were already mentioned; Mageslayer, although top down, is another Raven fantasy game that holds to their older aesthetic.

Outside of Raven, I find Anvil of Dawn has the most similar vibe, as far as aesthetics go, play-wise it's closer to the Dungeon Master / Eye of the Beholder sort of lineage.

Witchaven / Witchaven II are often criticized as being Heretic / Hexen knockoffs, but IMO people who say that can't have spent very much time playing either. They're melee oriented and have a satanic/metalhead sort of vibe closer to Doom than Heretic/Hexen despite being fantasy. They're also notoriously buggy.

Severance: Blade of Darkness is a third person game and strongly melee oriented, but in some ways inherits some of the better qualities of Hexen and Witchaven, IMO, yet it's fairly unique from either.

I'm going to mention Rune, which was made mostly by ex-Raven employees who left when Raven got bought by Activision. It's almost entirely melee combat, and not overly close in gameplay or aesthetic to Heretic/Hexen, but I feel like fans of H/H would like it nonetheless - I certainly did. I guess it has some similarities to Heretic 2.

Enclave is another fantasy TPS. Much more arcadey than Severance.

I didn't play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but I've heard that it has some Hexen vibe. It's a first person action game with RPG elements.

Thanks for all the good responses everyone. I've gotten some bad responses on doomworld.

Rune is awesome, I love that game. Love the sound effects. Everything about it was great.

I tried Severance and I didn't much like it, actually. Rune was way more accessible.

Is it just me or does Mageslayer and Rage of Mages sound like they should be action-oriented fps's (maybe like Heretic)?

In response to the Anvil of Dawn mention: As cool as the concept of the RPG is, I have to say that I don't really like playing them. They don't hold my interest long enough for me to finish them. And I think they're all extremely difficult, or have extremely difficult parts\bosses that ruin it. I really don't understand how people have the patience to play them...? Speaking of things not holding my interest long enough, I've tried mapping and programming in Zdoom, and find it tedious. It's amazing to me that so many people can churn out complicated doom mods. It doesn't seem easy to learn.