Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

PSX Lost Levels Beta 1
*In Farnsworth voice* Good news everyone!

I have playtested all levels and made fixes, it should NOW be 100% complete-able, I have only tested this on HMP, but I believe everything will work. I can proudly say, that I think this may be out of the pre-beta status. :D

I'm sorry I didn't check this, but what about music? You've changed it into author's ideas?

Now this has been identified, think maybe it should be added, as a true lost level?

I'd even be willing to convert it myself, I never felt I did enough for this project.

Eris Falling said:

Now this has been identified, think maybe it should be added, as a true lost level?

I'd even be willing to convert it myself, I never felt I did enough for this project.

Holy ****! The lost level recreation of the lost level? Yeah, I agree, we should add this.

Name it Master's Den and make it a secret map accessed from a Master Level!

I still feel the other rejected Master Levels should be included. If this one was originally included then cut, how many of the others were?

There are nine known rejected Master Levels; two ended up in TNT Evilution, one is that level that is confirmed to have at one point, been PSXified, and there are six levels all from Chris Klie: Device One, The CPU, The Hive, The Enemy Inside, The Fury and The DMZ. All are on the archives.

http://onemandoom.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/Christen%20David%20Klie

EDIT: I get the feeling this should be an episode of its own. Lost Master Levels? Could expand it to include other levels from these authors. Regardless, best not to do ANYTHING to delay this core project further. Perfect the PSX TC, and Lost Levels, while add-ons go on the side. I'd definitely help test them.

I doubt TWM01 will take much longer, so no fear of delaying there. It currently occupies LOST73.

Is it worth converting No Rest For The Living? The sidedefs and detail are stupidly high and will take shit tons of time to convert.

Whoah, stop. First, release this project ;)

NRFTL can be re-edited, if we want those 9 levels.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for "Absolution" episode (D64)

DeXiaZ said:

Whoah, stop. First, release this project ;)

NRFTL can be re-edited, if we want those 9 levels.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for "Absolution" episode (D64)

Yeah after looking at the detail, it will take an absolute age.

There's a severe glitch in map 09 Gotcha!

Linedefs 157, 540, 541, and 817 aren't flagged to be repeatable, so you can only use each side of the teleporter (sector 112) once, at which point the level will become impossible to finish.

Perhaps a silly thing to ask, but are the Final Doom maps using the versions from the old, broken IWADs or the ones from the slightly obscure updated IWADs? For those who didn't know, there was a rerelease of the id Anthology that updated the FD IWADs, though id has apparently forgotten about it and reverted to the original IWADs in every release since.

Salahmander2 said:

Is it worth converting No Rest For The Living? The sidedefs and detail are stupidly high and will take shit tons of time to convert.

NRFTL is planned to be converted in a seperate add-on that builds upon Lost Levels. It likely isnt going ot be true to PSX standards; NRFTL was made AFTER PSX Doom, so the rules dont fully apply (NRFTL also broke vanilla limits on purpose)

Best thing to do is make it feel like PSX, while not being true PSX. Threshold of Pain is a great example to look at.

Ragnor said:

NRFTL is planned to be converted in a seperate ass-on

Bahaha.

But yes, at some point down the line NRFTL will be simplified and converted.

Oh ffs, how did that happen.

Another "minisode" happening is the six other rejected master levels. Eris is planning on doing them and the Mustaine level, but may drop some of them for others, if interest is there. TMW01 aka Masters Den is priority though, of course.

I think simplifying NRFTL might go against the idea of it (classic Doom maps made by modern devs with modern horsepower). Although I do believe converting it into the style of PSX Doom is quite good (Height limits, no sky exits, lighting, reverb, PSX textures).

But you know, whatever you all are comfortable with.

It's very hard question about NRFTL.

We can do it like Threshold of Pain, but...what about Doom 64?

We are waiting for Doom 64 for Doom II, because this project simplify all maps to Classic Doom II format.

But after NRFTL remaking D64-For-D2 would looks like "downgrade" of the PSX-TC-system

Doom 64 is in ways, more advanced than PSX Doom, but can easily be made in the PSX limitations. Maybe it'll be done in strict PSX style, maybe PSX style with the N64's limitations. Either way, it cannot begin until Doom 2 in Doom 64 is done (Theres already an agreement to reconvert those levels, Baron's done one of his own already)

NRFTL though, needs to be brutal and good looking, approach it as if Nerve was making NRFTL on a port of PSX Doom with expanded limits. Same textures, same monsters, increased limits that an Xbox 360 could handle. Archvile will still be out, as Aubrey never did find his sounds.

I think Aubrey did, but they are "lost" (lol...lost? yeah, lost).

Anyway, ok, I got your idea. Anyway, waiting for Lost Levels release...and then... :)

Ah, so like if the XBox version was a port of PSX Doom and not Classic Doom? Sounds like a rad alternate timeline to me!

No, the Xbox port was based on the released Linux Doom source -- it's pretty clear from the Doom 3 BFG Edition source code. Absolutely nothing to do with PSX Doom, I suspect that was just a mistake in Ragnor's post.

Ragnor said; "..Approach it as if..."

I said: "Ah, so like if... Sounds like a rad alternate timeline to me!"

This is all hypothetical. Please use your imagination and pretend like it is the truth while working on this project; For fun, you see.

In no way do I actually believe Xbox Doom was based off of PSX Doom as that is a stupid thing to truly believe is true.

In short, I believe what Ragnor was saying is to re-design NRFTL as if it was created exclusively for a (not-real) re-release of PSX Doom for the Xbox in some magic not-real made-up alternative universe (As opposed to a port of Linux Doom, as it is in this real one).

Dragonsbrethren said:

No, the Xbox port was based on the released Linux Doom source -- it's pretty clear from the Doom 3 BFG Edition source code. Absolutely nothing to do with PSX Doom, I suspect that was just a mistake in Ragnor's post.

The idea is that Nerve ported the PSX/Saturn Doom to the Xbox 360 and made NRFTL on that. Its the same concept as Lost Levels assuming these levels always existed and were made on the PSX.

Basically, you pretend that the exact same PSX Doom/final doom was ported to the 360, and the new episode was made with that port. The Castle already told us that he and the other NRFTL designer asked for specific limits to be increased as they needed them, so these nine levels should be free of any RAM/texture/monster limits. The 360 has 512mb ram, more than enough to keep much of NRFTL's advanced modern feel. Architecture will have to change to accommodate the PSX texture set of course, but there will be much more freedom.