Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Chocolate Wolfenstein 3D released

Credit goes to Fabien Sanglard for development, and John Carmack for forwarding this news on his Twitter.

Message from the dev's Twitter:

"I just released Chocolate Wolfenstein 3D (https://github.com/fabiensanglard/Chocolate-Wolfenstein-3D …). With CRT emulator to respect 4:3 ratio that most other ports don't have."

Here is the link to source:

https://github.com/fabiensanglard/Chocolate-Wolfenstein-3D

I haven't tried it yet, but I figured maybe someone here would be interested, so I'm passing on the word.

Heh, it's still based on Wolf4SDL. Spiritual successor? :P

I have the full Wolf4SDL git-svn history somewhere on my bitbucket or github, if he's interested in merging it (however that's done) :P

Note that most of the "crap" (snow, rain) is optional and turned off by default at source code level.

Oh, you have to build it yourself. Does any want to build this then post it?

Not much to see here thus far. Skimming through the commits it looks like all he did so far as fix the resolution at 320x200 and remove code that wasn't compiled any way. Still a far ways from being a Chocolate Doom equivalent. Some examples off the top of my head:

• Pushwall physics are still improved.
  • Pushwalls always move two spaces.
  • Renderer improvements still seem to exist including pushwalls being viewable from all sides and scalers are not precomputed.
  • The ability to pick up items is not based on if the item is rendered.
  • New cheat codes.
  • Larger view sizes are still supported.
  • For some reason screen flashing/fading seems to be broken.
  • Haven't checked this one, but the Spear of Destiny ending sequence likely doesn't have the proper timing.
It looks like it also built from a slightly older version of Wolf4SDL since it doesn't include the GPL option.

I know he just started with this so I'm not complaining or anything, just saying it's a bit early at this point.

printz said:

Spiritual successor? :P

Wolf4SDL was more geared towards "mod authoring" so it was more of a PrBoom than a Chocolate Wolf3D.

Blzut3 said:

Not much to see here thus far. Skimming through the commits it looks like all he did so far as fix the resolution at 320x200 and remove code that wasn't compiled any way. Still a far ways from being a Chocolate Doom equivalent. Some examples off the top of my head:

• Pushwall physics are still improved.
  • Pushwalls always move two spaces.
  • Renderer improvements still seem to exist including pushwalls being viewable from all sides and scalers are not precomputed.
  • The ability to pick up items is not based on if the item is rendered.
  • New cheat codes.
  • For some reason screen flashing/fading seems to be broken.
  • Haven't checked this one, but the Spear of Destiny ending sequence likely doesn't have the proper timing.

I agree that with all those features still present it's far from what I would call "Chocolate Wolfenstein 3D"

Blzut3 said:

• Chocolate Doom does support higher resolution, so this really doesn't matter that much. 320x200 is a pain to look at, no matter what. The rest is true, however.

EDIT: I never tried Chocolate Wolf, but I just remembered that Chocolate Doom doesn't really give higher resolutions but rather upscales 320x200.

Infirnex said:

higher resolution

To clarify, I was talking about the two new screen sizes. That is the ability to remove the border and then the status bar.