Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

Another TOP 10 Article

A guy with too much free time said:

textures bump mapped to the point at which you could taste the rust on the walls

Nice description.

Hmmm, that XIII thing looks pretty interesting too. A cel-shaded FPS using the Unreal Warfare engine... can't go wrong with that.

Lord FlatHead said:

Nice description.

Hmmm, that XIII thing looks pretty interesting too. A cel-shaded FPS using the Unreal Warfare engine... can't go wrong with that.

I agree. It sounds AWESOME! :)

Yeah, my only criticism right now is, the black outlines look a bit edgy in the screenshots. Another reason to use heavy anti-aliasing... The Doom III screenshot with the two fat zombies always struck me as being a bit more crude than the rest, and turns out it's the only with without FSAA. The difference really shows.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah, my only criticism right now is, the black outlines look a bit edgy in the screenshots. Another reason to use heavy anti-aliasing... The Doom III screenshot with the two fat zombies always struck me as being a bit more crude than the rest, and turns out it's the only with without FSAA. The difference really shows.

You know what always struck me? It's that batroom high-res shot.

I recall reading on polycount where one guy found a seam on that pinkeydemon (on his head - very noticable) in the video and it was gone in the high-res pic!

Apparently, as Paul explained, the DOOM legacy video (not the shaky-cam one, but the one officially released) included certain scenes from the QuakeCon 2K1 presentation (where the seam was present on the pinkydemons head) and it was removed by the time the pic was released (and it is also gone in the shaky-cam video - not suprisingly :)

One guy there (more accurately, Lead Character Artist at Electronic Arts) also explained why it was there in the first place and Paul confirmed that.

'Top ELEVEN'? Sounds like at least one was sponsored, probably from 11,9,8,7.

Cel (cell) shading is a load of bull.

Dima said:

Paul commented back then that the high-res pic was taken EARLIER than the video so in time for the video, it was removed.

Yeah, seems like the Bathroom Scene has gone trough a couple changes over time. In both the high-res shot and the Doom III: Legacy movie, the blood consists of big nasty smears on the floor tiles coupled with a solid pool of blood. In the leaked 11-minute video (too bad I can't put up a screenshot), there's lots and lots of little drops of blood everywhere, and that looks much cooler than just having a pool of blood underneath the zombie model.

In the first screenshot (the one with Tentacle Guy standing in front of the door), take a look at where the tentacle exits his arm. You'll see the tentacle sorta clips trough some of the polygons at his wrists. It's not really visible though, and perfectly understandable when you're working with such high-detail models.

Strange, I didn't notice the discontinuities (sp ?) between the high-res shot and the videos at all. Seems like the Doom: The Legacy movie is indeed based on stuff from last year's QuakeCon, and both the screenshots and the leaked movie are from just before E3. Nice to see them touching up and improving things as they go along.

GS-1719 said:

Cel (cell) shading is a load of bull.

Well yeah, if games start using it without no reason at all, that's a Bad Thing. A graphics gimmick doesn't turn your crappy game into a classic over-night. In this case though it seems cool because the game is actually based on a comic book. There's also all the "BANG" and "CLANG" sounds and such that are put onto the screen like you'd see in a real comic book. It's a kind of stylized graphics I haven't seen before and I hope they pull it off nicely.

Reread my post, I completely changed it as I had a mistake there.

The High-Res pic was taken AFTER that OFFICAL DOOM III video released and the seam was GONE in the leaked DOOM III video as well.

Dima said:

The High-Res pic was taken AFTER that OFFICAL DOOM III video released and the seam was GONE in the leaked DOOM III video as well.

Umm, yeah. That doesn't contradict anything I said, does it ?

Lord FlatHead said:

Umm, yeah. That doesn't contradict anything I said, does it ?

No, not at all :)

I just hate giving false info :)

Did u take a look at that post on polycount?

Yes I did. Interesting points he brings up, especially about Pinky not casting shadows on the zombie in the high-res shot. That's odd, since in both the Legacy movie and the leaked one, it does cast shadows over the zombie.

Lord FlatHead said:

Umm, the rest of the users can ignore Dima's last comment, since it won't make sense anyway. Nevermind.

How can u say that? :D

I always make sense! :)

Lord FlatHead said:

Quiet, you.

Seriously FlatHead, u should consider opening your own website, with coverage of DOOM III when it comes out and stuff like that.

I would GLADLY help u with running it, as i suppose many people would :)

I'm pretty excited about having a website about Doom III mapping, with tutorials and stuff. The thing is, we'll have to wait until it's released for that. (Maybe the test will have the editor available too, though I really don't think so).

Lord FlatHead said:

I'm pretty excited about having a website about Doom III mapping, with tutorials and stuff. The thing is, we'll have to wait until it's released for that. (Maybe the test will have the editor available too, though I really don't think so).

Yeah, I also think the editor will be released only with the full game.

The test version will be only for technology purposes (testing compatibility, etc...), but it will still serve as a great source for a website!