Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
36appl0912

Any theories regarding that door monster in communications?

I specifically mean the one that says Metus dolor mors ac formidonis.
I have always wondered about it. Could it be a hell knight? It disappears so swiftly!

It slightly resembles a Hellknight, but if you look at it in the editor, the head resembles a cross between that of the Arch-Vile and the Hellknight. The head is also noticeably larger than that of a Hellknight, and the visible part of the body is elongated, muscular and limbless. Some sort of giant hell worm I guess, maybe a monster that they had partly finished but decided not to include, so they instead relegated it to a one-time special appearance.

I always figured it was connected into the growths that you start seeing taking over the base after that point, like it was a part of them. That you don't see more later when the growths become even more prominent would suggest otherwise, though :P

This was one of the best scares in the mid-to-late game, very memorable. I remember I was sitting crouched there for several minutes as the banging carried on ceaselessly, soaking in the ambiance.

TheCupboard said:

This was one of the best scares in the mid-to-late game, very memorable. I remember I was sitting crouched there for several minutes as the banging carried on ceaselessly, soaking in the ambiance

The part right after that is a brilliant moment too, IMO - the distorted low-pitch "Alleluia" drone, moving skeleton stinger, and the following tortured-sounding, mocking laugh. That whole sequence, starting with that fucked up door, really sticks with me as defining what the Doom 3 version of "Hell corruption" was all about.

I always wondered what it was, noclip didn't really help me figure it out either. What it does look like is some half finished and majorly malformed Hell Knight reject that id probably put in as a reference to an old art direction or something like that.

-

Jaxxoon R said:

He is goodguy alien man warning you about the scary demons. And then he goes back to his home planet. Woo...

The plot for WOOO 3 is now decided.