Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

A mod I was thinking of...

Seeing as this engine is supposed to be easy to mod, I wonder what it would be like to do a mod like Counter Strike? Hmm might be kinda hard though since there will only be DM in Doom 3(or so I hear) and therefore you'd have to get your own sources for help on the mod...

Alientank said:

Seeing as this engine is supposed to be easy to mod, I wonder what it would be like to do a mod like Counter Strike?

No. CS sucks IMFUO.

Hmm might be kinda hard though since there will only be DM in Doom 3...

WTF??!! I think you're mistaken....

Yeah, apparently Doom III will just have good ol' Deatmatch supported at the time of its release. Game modes like CTF, Co-op and Jailbreak will probably show up in mods, but I don't think a Counter-Strike clone would be that easy to pull off in Doom III. For one thing, you just can't have a dozen or so 5000-poly players walking around, unless you can count on everyone having a GeForce4 ti4600 or something.

A realistic weapons mod might be cool, though. I'd like to see the M4/Shotgun hybrid I put up a picture of in the "monsters/munitions/etc" thread, for one thing.

Altough there will be minimal multiplayer capabilities, teamplay, CTF and all that stuff is really easy to code.

A counter-strike clone is not the best way to exploit this engine. Now a System Shock clone, that would rule.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah, apparently Doom III will just have good ol' Deatmatch supported at the time of its release.

Oh, ok. You see I thought he was saying that DooM 3 will be DM-only... My bad.

/me smacks himself

Lord FlatHead said:

For one thing, you just can't have a dozen or so 5000-poly players walking around, unless you can count on everyone having a GeForce4 ti4600 or something

You probably wouldn't have to use 5000 polygons to still get a lot of detail out of the characters. A 2500 poly model would render-bump quite well, I think, based on that third party utility developers screen shots of a similar proccess putting a high-res model onto a mere 1500 poly model. The detail is still there, but the profile might be a little rough, close up, and shadows might look slightly more angular.

Also, I don't think the card would be the bottleneck here, but the CPU's ability to calculate the shadow volume interactions between all those creatures. The main "hit" on the card would be the fill rate of drawing the extra shadow polygons, but since they only affect the stencil buffer, most of the advanced features of the Ti probably won't hold that much sway. Once those are drawn, then the actual number of character polys is almost irrelevent to the rendering of the models. Cards are fillrate, not polygon limited, for the most part today.

BTW: I look forward to your new site-- you've always had the best accumulation of Doom3 facts and information (the technology descriptions, in particular), and it should be nice to have all this new info organized on a site like yours.

EsH said:

BTW: I look forward to your new site-- you've always had the best accumulation of Doom3 facts and information (the technology descriptions, in particular), and it should be nice to have all this new info organized on a site like yours.

Well I don't know if my site really has a function anymore. Doom III has been blown wide open now, every gaming site has a preview, and the whole deal with my site is that it's about speculation. Who's going to read another preview of Doom III when every other site out there already has one ?

I'd like to do a full-blown analysis of the leaked vid, but that probably wouldn't be a good idea since id is pissed off enough as it is, and Linguica probably wouldn't approve of it.

If Zaldron (or an other tech-minded person like you, for example) would rewrite that technology article based on the new information, that'd be cool. Though I don't see much point in it anymore.

The day the game is out, I'd like to maintain a site about Doom III modding and level editing. We'll see.

I've always thought about doing a multiple-small-team-deathmatch mod for a game. Maybe it'd work in Doom 3. I might start working on that after I finish my Shadowrun mod for classic Doom. Assuming I ever get started on my Shadowrun mod for classic Doom.

OK, we already have ONE Counter-Strike in the online community. I don't need any more 1337 H4><0|2Z taking up my bandwidth trying out the new wallhack they just downloaded.

What would be a good idea, though, is for someone to make a co-op mod(if id doesn't end up doing this). Take svencoop.com for example. They took a strictly single-player game(HL) and converted it into a cooperative experience. Now, every once in a while they come across a monster-dancing bug, but for all purposes the mod works perfectly. They're even modifying the original levels to support multiplayer(although I'm sure they'd come across some pitfalls).

If someone creates a single-player mod you can bet I'll play it. Besides-- even if the original levels provide too much of a hassle to convert, we can always make our own to support it.

Ah... brings me back to the days of my friend Dave and I trying to take down Cybie with our bare hands...

MEMORIEEEEEEES...

I'm not some CS fanboy nor do I talk in 1337 ok. I'm just using this as an example for asking how hard it would be to make your own mod complete with all the weapons revamped, new models, levels, etc.

Zaldron said:

Now a System Shock clone, that would rule.

Damn right. Forget about Resident Evil etc, System Shock II is easily the scariest game ever.

Alientank said:

And what is System shock about?

About a computer trying to destroy earth. No, really.

Lord FlatHead said:

Doesn't run on WinXP, though. Stupid DOS incompatibility.

...Which is why I'm still using ME. I have a lot of games that use DOS, so I never upgraded to XP. Damn you, Windows!

Yeah well my sister brought her old Pentium 100 with Win98 on it back home last week. I was getting pretty excited about the prospect of playing System Shock and Death Rally on it, then I found out the stupid six-year old 4x CD-ROM drive doesn't read CD-Rs for some reason. Luckily I had XCOM Ufo Defense and Doom lying around on decent CD's, so I'm keeping myself busy.

GS-1719 said:

Why don't you format the CD-R?

Good idea. I wish I'd have thought of that. Grrr... :P