Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Doom95 SSG sounds

Guest Unregistered account

So, the Doom wiki states that:

I opened up Doom95 to test, IDKFA'd and fired the Super Shotgun. As far as I'm aware, DSDBOPN exists. It sounded like it...
I opened up Slade and, sure enough, DSDBOPN is there, and sounds identical to the original.

So, I'm using the Doom Collector's edition of Doom95. Were there any additions made between the CE and the original? Even if that's the case, I don't see how they could notice that and not the horrible PI effect.

So, is it just a Wiki mistake? Does anyone have the original version of Doom II running on Doom95?

http://doomwiki.org is the real Doom wiki. The other one is the corrupt nega-wiki, full of depravity and deceit.

That only half-answers your question, maybe someone else might know if there were any SSG quriks in any Doom95 versions. I can't imagine the wad would be any different though, if there were a difference in sounds used, it would probably be from a change in the Doom95 code.

Not exactly related to your question, but I absolutely hate Wikia as a company. Not only do they disrespect their users when making site changes, but they go entirely against the will of the community by refusing to close it, thus leading to confusing people into using their version (thus more page clicks and ad revenue). I'll bet they'd have had no problem letting a wiki close before the mass-exodus clued them into why they were leaving.

I dunno, Wikia hosts hundreds (thousands?) of awesome wikis with lots of useful information and somehow all these communities don't seem to have any problems with the site. So I can't hate it that much even if the Doom community does.

Vermil said:

I don't think Doom95 deserves the 'hate' it get's today. It was awesome for it's time.

It was convenient, at least for quickly and easily setting up LAN games, although DeathManager was just as good in most cases.

Vermil said:

I don't think Doom95 deserves the 'hate' it get's today. It was awesome for it's time.

It was less functional than DOS Doom which came before it. Under what criteria would that be considered "good for its time?"

Wagi said:

It was less functional than DOS Doom which came before it.

Don't you mean vanilla Doom? DOSDoom was released over a year after Doom95.

Foxpup said:

Don't you mean vanilla Doom? DOSDoom was released over a year after Doom95.

He said DOS Doom, not DOSDoom. :-)
So he meant the vanilla DOS version.

fabian said:

Didn't Doom95 play the SSG sounds at the wrong sample rate?

Lots of ports seem to do this, it's a very common mistake.

Most of Doom's sound effects area 11025hz sampling rate and the SSG ones are the only exception, being at 22050hz. Some ports ignore the sample rate field though and just play all sounds at 11025hz. So if you ever hear the SSG reload clicks and they sound slow and weird, that's why.

Memfis said:

I dunno, Wikia hosts hundreds (thousands?) of awesome wikis with lots of useful information and somehow all these communities don't seem to have any problems with the site. So I can't hate it that much even if the Doom community does.

Most of their sites aren't run by "communities" and the ones that were left a long time ago. You think we're the only ones that jumped ship? We were one of the LAST to go.

Transformers, GTA, World of Warcraft, Halo, Half-Life, just to name a few of the bigger ones. Look up some of the things that happened to some of them before you make your mind up to side with wikia, ever. This information isn't hard to find at all.