Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mouldy

multiplayer voodoo dolls

I'm using a conveyor belt voodoo doll in my map to activate W1 lines, and I want to make sure it works in co-op. Now, i gather that in co-op, if you use a player1 voodoo doll and player1 has previously left the game, the doll won't spawn. So, I'm assuming the simplest way to minimise this issue is to add player2-4 dolls behind it on the conveyor belt.

Would this cause any problems? Like if the dolls spawn at slightly different times and they are scrolling, could one spawn on top of another? Or do they all spawn simultaneously? Just want to be sure because I've no way of testing.

Multiplayer voodoo dolls are definitely NOT guarantee'd to work the same in all ports (or even spawn at all). If you can, use monster-activated generalized linedef actions, if you're mapping for Boom. Place a barrel or floor lamp or something on the conveyor belt, it can activate these linedefs.

I assume this is for Going Down? If you're making a Boom-compatible map, it's pretty likely that (G)ZDoom, Zandronum, ZDaemon, and Odamex are the only ports on which it will get played, so I think using those as a base for compatibility is fine.

I think all voodoo dolls spawn at the same time. As long as they're not packed right together you should be OK hopefully?

@scifista42 I don't think barrels/monsters will activate all linedefs that I have used dolls for. In the end I'm not too bothered if this ultra compatible, these maps aren't built with multiplayer in mind, just want to help minimise potential issues with as little effort as I can.

@plums yeah it seems that it is the case that they spawn all at once so should be ok. I think if anyone was determined to play these maps co-op they probably could even work around any voodoo doll issues anyway

@tuxlar thanks for the link, that helps answer my question

cheers guys

You can have two voodoo dolls this way.
Make your conveyor wider than normal and place voodoo player1 and voodoo player2 on it so either activates the same linedefs. Make sure these two are not touching.

To stop the player2 voodoo when player1 is still around, place a second voodoo player1 overlapping both voodoo player2 and the adjacent wall. Then voodoo player2 will not move when voodoo dolls for player1 spawn.
If the voodoo dolls for player1 are missing then the voodoo player2 will be able to move.

Other objects, like trees, tagged by game difficulty, can also be used this way to tune your voodoo dolls.