Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

There's a lot of fine details that I don't know or just don't care to remember about Doom. For example, earlier someone mentioned they're discovering they don't like Sandy Peterson's maps. I don't know which maps were done by which dev, so I really can't relate to that. I don't really care to know either. I don't even know the names or Episode/Map numbers of most levels. I often have to load the game up to see what people are talking about, if I'm that interested in the conversation. If someone posts a screenshot though, or describes a very particular piece of architecture or a unique battle or trap, and it's a stock level, I usually recognize the level immediately and can picture the rest of it in detail.

I just play the game man.

And RadTang's posts are starting to creep me out a little.

Face23785 said:

I just play the game man.

And RadTang's posts are starting to creep me out a little.

Me too, I also just play the game. Don't care about what's inside (ok.. I do care.. I care about what kind of ammo I'm wasting for all these demons! Of course it's meant to stay inside of them :)) And btw, why my posts are creepy :) ?

Maybe I'm just sad but sometimes when looking at double digit numbers like, say for example the number 14 sometimes the first thing that comes to mind is "THE INMOST DENS"

Full screen size is amazing. I'm converted. Despite the intense nostalgia factor, Doomguy's face just doesn't cut it for me anymore. The status bar has become a large ugly gray rectangle. Reminds me of the "Widescreen" DVD days with the black bars on the movie top/bottom.

RadTang said:

And btw, why my posts are creepy :) ?

Yikes man, I dont want to know that you Ultra Violently fisted demons on e2m2 while talking to your friend about fisting demons while recording fraps. Thats personal stuff.

Doominator2 said:

Yikes man, I dont want to know that you Ultra Violently fisted demons on e2m2 while talking to your friend about fisting demons while recording fraps. Thats personal stuff.

Well.. sorry then :) As usual, I shouldn't try to be funny or so. My sense of humour just sucks.

Two confessions: One, I never liked Plutonia. The difficulty was insane, and there's just something about the style that seems incredibly drab to me - architecturally, the levels are fine, but I just don't care for Plutonia's texture use.

Two, I've gone from despising mouselook to embracing it, thanks to GZDoom making the game not look so ugly when you look up or down. I mean, it took me forever to convert from keyboard to mouse+keyboard, but even after that, I always felt mouselook had no place in Doom - then I decided to try it out while playing an oblige megawad I had created, just to make things more interesting, and I fell in love with mouselook in Doom, which on some level makes me ashamed of myself.

RadTang said:

Well.. sorry then :) As usual, I shouldn't try to be funny or so. My sense of humour just sucks.

Thats fine, I'm just having some fun.

geekmarine said:

Two, I've gone from despising mouselook to embracing it, thanks to GZDoom making the game not look so ugly when you look up or down. I mean, it took me forever to convert from keyboard to mouse+keyboard, but even after that, I always felt mouselook had no place in Doom - then I decided to try it out while playing an oblige megawad I had created, just to make things more interesting, and I fell in love with mouselook in Doom, which on some level makes me ashamed of myself.

Funny, 'cause for a decade I've had been using mouselook (ZDoom style--I don't like this GZDoom approach, ZDoom's taken from "Heretic" and "Strife" feels more natural to me; maybe it's about sprites that look like cardboards) and while playing Doom Retro I discovered how much Doom does not need a mouselook. Now I have it optional in ZDoom, after pressing a key.

This multiexperience for everyone was always something that appealed to me.

Yes, Plutonia is the hardest of IWADs. Even on HNTR / ITYTD levels. I'm playing full keyboard. 0 mouselook and so on. I don't know if in 1993 / early 1994 people used mouse in games. Even RTSes were quite young (yes, Dune II is a Wolf 3D to RTS, came in the beginning of 1992) and games like Commander Keen need no mouse.

Doominator2 said:

You can never escape the analogies.

Krazov said:

maybe it's about sprites that look like cardboards

It's just creepy to see how they get distorted when viewed from a very sharp angle.

I've played the BFG Edition of Doom 1. The music is drastically different to me. I love original MIDIs (Chocolate Doom: Native MIDI).

Xfing said:

Ok, this won't be a confession, but rather a boast. Just a while ago, I killed an imp and a shotgun guy together with one shotgun blast.

Think about it for a second. 1 shotgun blast. And imp AND a shotgun guy. While it doesn't seem like anything remarkable, I'm pretty certain that for the damage to calculate this favorably is rare.

I killed a lost soul with a single shotgun blast once. That was quite the head scratcher for me. Not that uncommonly do I take out a cacodemon in five shotgun blasts, but a lost soul with one? That was quite something. (15 X 7 = 105). Based on that calculation, it is quite a rare feat indeed, and basically an untoppable.

EDIT:

Cell said:

That happens quite a few times that one single shotgun blast kills a lost soul by instance. (LS HP: 100, SG DMG: 35-105)

You know how people have a certain tune they hum or otherwise mimic with their mouths while they're bored or doing chores or whatever?

For me it's "Intermission from Doom."

raymoohawk said:

ive ruined several coop games by triggering the bug on map 21, even after learning about it i keep forgetting

But you could have still finished the map! :-)

I feel like a Doom god (though I'm newb). Just finished (with save & load a lot ofc) E4M2: Perfect Hatred (yt movie - location of BFG secret & secret exit). Barons & Cacos everywhere. And no, my flesh wasn't consumed. That telefrag on cyberdemon is nice (though he's quite easy to kill without it).

I think that Doom 64's design for the Doomguy is way cooler and far more aesthetically pleasing in terms of color scheme than the classic games.

For ten years I had been playing with free mouselook, jumping, and crouching. While it was much easier (ducking works perfectly against revenant's missiles), I always felt worse, especially after watching some YouTube runs where those guys were playing without such antics. Now, after Doom Retro and returning to the classic approach I feel much more worthy of a game.

After seeing it bashed again this time in the BTSX thread, I will come out - in hope of tolerance and acceptance - and admit that MAP02 of TNT is my favourite IWAD midi.

Confusingly there exists a bugged version and I'm not sure I think this is even the version I prefer - I like the version that plays in Chocolate Doom, whichever that is.

Nobody else seems to like it, which I find strange as all my other favourites. (E1M2, E1M3, E1M8, E2M8, MAP03, MAP30 for example), are generally accepted among the better tracks.

Krazov said:

For ten years I had been playing with free mouselook, jumping, and crouching. While it was much easier (ducking works perfectly against revenant's missiles), I always felt worse, especially after watching some YouTube runs where those guys were playing without such antics. Now, after Doom Retro and returning to the classic approach I feel much more worthy of a game.

There's no reason not to use mouselook (Doom can be difficult enough without it) but I'm okay with turning jump and crouch off.

Nobody else seems to like it

I like it, but it's too screechy to be favorite material, for me (much like many TNT midis).