Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Linguica said:

MAP01.gif

What is the background info behind some flats (SEGS?) being drawn top->bottom of screen and some bottom->top of screen?

Segs are segments of linedefs; nothing to do with flats.

The back-to-front, then front-to-back thing seems to correspond to concave visplanes. Convex shapes are always filled on the back-to-front pass, concave shapes have the left half filled back-to-front, then the right half filled front-to-back.

I made that GIF just by sticking a call to M_Screenshot() (or whatever the function is called, I forget) at the end of each call to r_drawcolumn and r_drawspan, so presumably it's showing the exact order that the engine is rendering stuff. So now I am curious:

why is a small section of wall rendering well after the rest of the walls, and at the very end of the flat rendering section?

Linguica said:

why is a small section of wall rendering well after the rest of the walls, and at the very end of the flat rendering section?

Very odd. It's a single-sided wall, with "impassable" as its only flag, textured with a single-patch texture (TEKGREN5, RW39_1). Transparent textures are rendered at the end, along with sprites, but there is no way in which this linedef could be said to have a transparent texture.

OK, I've spent time looking into it and this is what I think is happening. It looks like this is a quirk in the PrBoom codebase that Quasar added in for some reason :P

In the code in r_drawcolumn.inl, this code is called BEFORE the code that comprises the inner texture-mapping loop:

if(temp_x == 4 ||
         (temp_x && (temptype != COLTYPE || temp_x + startx != dcvars->x)))
         R_FlushColumns();
So without going too much into detail, for whatever reason, stuff can be left stuck in the buffer at the end of a call to r_drawcolumn.inl, but it is usually "flushed" out and written to the screen at the start of the next call. But what happens after the very last call to r_drawcolumn.inl? There's still something in the buffer that ought to be drawn. So when is the next time R_FlushColumns() gets called? Well, the main rendering loop calls a function R_ResetColumnBuffer() AFTER the calls to draw the walls and the floor, and BEFORE drawing the sprites and stuff. And R_ResetColumnBuffer() calls R_FlushColumns(), so that little bit of wall texture that wasn't ever drawn finally gets drawn.

I guess it doesn't hurt anything, it's just... weird.

Edit: so basically, after the normal wall-drawing code is finished:

Then after the flats-drawing code is finished:

And finally, after R_FlushColumns() is called again:

Proof of concept attempted...

...needs refining. A hell of a lot of refining.

Spoiler

I blame Ragnor >_>

*thumbs up*

the blood obviously needs to be less jagged and square, but you know that already :p

Also, its 5 am and I was about to sleep, but this just reminded me of THAT, so fuck you, no sleep likely now :p

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

*medkit fail*

Go, me!

Also, if you look closely, you can see my video card dying. :(

You and I have a habit of dying like this it seems

I took this screenshot while playtesting a new Switcheroom 2 map in Chocolate Doom (ChocoRenderLimits). I post it here, because I have a puzzle for everyone:

Can you guess what's obscuring my view on the right? :)

Ragnor said:

Also, its 5 am and I was about to sleep, but this just reminded me of THAT, so fuck you, no sleep likely now :p

Consider it payback >:D
I'm confident that this is doable, even the world maps, but it's clearly going to need a huge expansion to accommodate the third dimension. Sprite rotations could be interesting too.

--
scifista: Obvious answer would be cacodemon, but that's too easy. Corpse balancing on the player maybe?

Answer is in this spoiler. I admit, it wasn't exactly a fair puzzle, I doubt anyone would 100% identify it at first glance.

Spoiler

It was a cacodemon fireball that just hit me.

^I thought it might be the red 3rd marine co-op player..

I got some mapping done today and proceeded with this. The building used to be just more rock, so this helped me to put sort of a center to the area that exists so far.

http://imgur.com/KAR47Yk

So I dug up my Heretic project that I started for Legacy ages ago when Legacy was made from sticks and we had to walk several miles to download it. Anyhow it's only one small map so far and a small chunk of two others.... I went and perverted it to ZDoom's Heretic in Hexen format. I was hoping for Heretic in UDMF and despite that working in GZDoom Builder it made the port crash. So mayhap I have to convert to Hexen format first before making the leap to UDMF?

Doom Dude said:

I was hoping for Heretic in UDMF and despite that working in GZDoom Builder it made the port crash. So mayhap I have to convert to Hexen format first before making the leap to UDMF?

No, not at all. I don't know where the problem was (old version of ZDoom? buggy converter? voodoo curse?) but that wasn't it.

Picture looks good, by the way.

That looks chaotic Doominator.

Looks cool Afterglow. Nice textures.

gemini09 is that some sort of oasis you have going on there? :D

Ledillman said:

I really like that screenshot! me wants to play

If I wasn't so into Doom now I'd work on finishing it. I guess I'll do an episode of small maps.

Gez said:

No, not at all. I don't know where the problem was (old version of ZDoom? buggy converter? voodoo curse?) but that wasn't it.

Picture looks good, by the way.

Ahhh ok, good to know Gez.

RadTang said:

Two of these Cacos look like they're talking to each other.
By the way, what's the wad name?

Pretty sure this is Scythe 2.

Doom Dude said:

Looks cool Afterglow. Nice textures.

gemini09 is that some sort of oasis you have going on there? :D

It's really more of a just ROCK4 thing going on.

Nice shots, Doom Dude and Afterglow. I see that I have to clean up my texture alignments a bit. :)

(1920x1200 - 1.94MB)

(1920x1200 - 1.65MB)

This bit of nonsense was inspired by an arched bridge in one of rebit's voxel object threads, I decided to see if I could make a reasonable facsimile using 3D floors and slopes. Texture choice is far from final, but what's there is fairly well aligned, that took up a large chunk of the day and a half I spent working on this.