Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #462

• Bedlam - Antroid, C30N9, Dragonsbrethren, Memfis, NoneeLlama, purist, Sokoro
    Ultimate Doom - Vanilla - Solo Play - 664107 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Ryathaen
    Bedlam is one of the best E3 replacements I've played. Spearheaded by Memfis, the episode is the work of seven different mappers. You might expect that many hands would result in some clashing design philosophies, but far from it. Bedlam is actually one of the most consistent community projects I've encountered recently, though I can't say whether that's because of Memfis' leadership or because everyone involved had the same vision from the start.

Whatever the case may be, what we got out of it is a fantastic Hell episode that feels a whole lot like the original Inferno. It uses all stock Doom resources and sticks to classic themes of marble temples, molten caverns, redrock fortresses — all the stuff you know and love. Maps are even laid out in a way that's reminiscent of E3 — criss-crossing and interconnected. Specifically, it feels like the... circularness of E3M3 or E3M5, or the openness of M7. There's almost always two or three ways to attack a level, and you'll find loops everywhere that will lead from one area unexpectedly back where you came from. Keys can be gathered in different orders, and as you go the maps become more open and non-linear. Despite a semi-lack of direction, though, they're almost never confusing. (I did get lost briefly in the massive M8, but not long or badly enough to get frustrated.)

It helps that everything has a unique look, and that the levels are stuffed with interesting landmarks to navigate by. These are all beautiful maps, though I do have to admit that Memfis' maps are slightly ahead of the rest in that department. His maps are covered in charming little nooks and neat details. Every area is lovingly crafted, unique, and dripping with personality, even if it's just an alcove with a couple armor bonuses in it. All the mappers involved, though, know how to create stunning, unorthodox architecture that will make you stop and stare for a second.

Gameplay is very solid. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's polished and clearly playtested. Levels are winding and teleports will throw you all over the place. It'll also surprise you, not just in terms of the traps, but also the not-traps. I'm so happy to see keys that don't always set a dozen monsters on you as soon as you grab them. If there's one point I'll nitpick, it's the somewhat inconsistent use of damaging floors: it's never clear whether blood will hurt you or not.

The lowest point is probably the music selection. It's all pretty slow and low-key, when the WAD may have benefited from a couple fast, energetic tracks thrown into the mix. The only time it ever got on my nerves, though, was in M7, where the midi just seemed too repetitive for such a lengthy level. Even so, it can't pull down an otherwise phenomenal mapset.

And that's Bedlam: Inferno-inspired mapping at its very best.

• How Eye Killed TIme - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 815076 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: scifista42
    Boom-compatible short compact map by Memfis. This one is rather tough and hectic from the very beginning. Also, the author didn't hesitate to put SS Nazis into work just for gameplay purposes. That's what this map is about, gameplay, although it looks great as well, and there are nice new textures used very competently. Challenge is achieved through several hectic setups, one of them involving a forced invisibility pickup while fighting enemies on a "trippy space railway" (2nd screenshot). It isn't exactly horde-slaughter kind of gameplay, though, rather a mixture between hard slaughter and mild classic gameplay - however strange this may sound, I find the description appropriate. Definitely something for speedrunners and hardcore players who don't stick to slaughtermaps. Non-hardcore players (like me) will experience a punishment, but the map is obviously possible to win. Check it out if you feel like it. Memfis makes a lot of lesser-challenging maps too.

• Tayutayu - Memfis
    Ultimate Doom - Vanilla - Solo Play - 398112 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Tayutayu aka Menkui (?) is a vanilla Doom 1 map by Memfis that plays on the E4M1 slot. To me it appears to be inspired by a classic 90's megawad MARSWAR; the author said in a Doomworld thread that his inspiration was E4M6 of 2002:ADO. The map is simple, short and exceptionally easy - I almost completed it without taking damage, so don't expect challenge. You'll explore a small base, landscape and ruins of some ancient / hellish temple, and shoot a couple low-tier enemies on your way. The map looks nice in its simplicity - outdoor areas feel oldschool, while some indoor areas don't really. New textures are used to spice up visuals, and custom music is included too. Nothing really special, but you might enjoy the oldschool atmosphere and simplicity.

• Download - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 291912 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    "Download" is a collection of three short, compact maps by Memfis. They are all pretty fun to play - appropriately challenging for a casual player, but not really punishing. The aesthetics have a certain old-school vibe (specially MAP01), but none of the maps looks bad, at all. There is custom music in each map. MAP01 has a bridge with railing, and later on the whole bridge turns into a lift and you'll need to cross it, a nicely executed effect. MAP02 uses unique blue bricks (3rd screenshot). MAP03 is just a simple quick blast. Otherwise there's nothing specially memorable about these maps. Play them anyway, you'll have fun.

• Plutosis - Memfis
    Plutonia - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 276204 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Attention, this wad kind of stands out among other Memfis's works. It's a set of four maps for Plutonia IWAD, with Plutonia-like aesthetics, structure, gameplay and difficulty. Expect frequent usage of high-tier monsters and a few hard setups, while not really slaughter-style gameplay. The maps are varied enough, but have a moderate length and nonlinear progression in common. Pretty quality stuff, if you asked me. Honestly, I've never been a fan of Plutonia since it disgusted my early Dooming days with somewhat unfair difficulty. I gave this mapset a go in a continuous playthrough with saves, and while in was pretty rough at times, overall it was not that horrible and I eventually liked it.

MAP01: Exoplanet. The hectic start frightened me at first, expecting great punishment from the whole map(set) when I saw it. Truthfully, it wasn't so bad. Nice compact layout that thoroughly felt Plutonia-like, mixing indoor and outdoor, open and confined areas, while always looking pretty good and unified. You already get all weapons except the BFG and chainsaw in this map, and they will come in handy. No really unfair traps are present in this map, and difficulty is comparable to Plutonia MAP01.

MAP02: Stalked. This map starts to bite at times. You start on a bridge in a large cave, and soon get enclosed by mancubuses. Layout branches into multiple paths; the two main paths contain red and yellow keys, required to exit the map. However, each key is protected by a trap: a group of tough monsters, including an archvile that will pop out at you in a greatly challenging but somewhat clever setup. I needed multiple attempts to handle each of these traps. Other parts of the map aren't trivial either, but it's mostly that kind of "good" challenge. Again, everything looks nice. Interesting double-lift + teleporter sequence to reach exit area. I only wished there was health near the exit - I exited with low health and it made the next map pretty hard.

MAP03: Misery Island. An open map with a decent amount of high ledges and walkways over a sea of blood. Challenging setups again, but somewhat less than in MAP02, except one: when I teleported to a room, pressed a switch, and then the monsters, including many hitscanners, popped all around me. I was very low on health, so I needed multiple attempts to handle the situation, but it turned out to be possible. Interesting map to play and move around, once I could access all the ledges.

MAP04: Attica. The most elaborate compact map, also the most non-linear one I think. But well-structured, admittedly, navigation wasn't hard. A lot of vines and brown bricks are used, but there's enough variety in environment. A remix of D_DDTBLU plays as a music in this map. Difficulty was... moderately hard, compared to the other maps - still tough at times. I enjoyed it.

If you're a fan of Plutonia with everything typical for its design and gameplay (and don't mind challenging difficulty), definitely give this wad a try. And if you're not, you can check it out as well, though you might have problems in some areas, but everything can be managed eventually. This is a well made little mapset.

• Suteni - Memfis and Plut
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 245390 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Suteni is one map, coauthored by Memfis and Plut. It takes place in a natural area with stone/brick buildings covered by vines. It has nice atmospheric music (intermission music is also replaced) and some subtle custom textures to complement the theme. The map looks pretty good, with a "classic" vibe characteristic for Memfis's and Plut's mapping, but it only adds to the map's good side. Enjoyable nonlinear progression. While many particular areas are quite spacious, the map is overall short. Only 72 enemies, mostly low-tier, some high tier, even several archviles. Anyway, it's not a difficult map. I liked it, and recommend it.

• Superwad - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 240515 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Superwad is actually just a single small map, and it's a quite standard Memfis map. Contrarily to the textfile, it plays on MAP08 and not MAP01. There's nothing incredibly special in visuals or gameplay or anything - just a fun to play, moderately detailed, moderately challenging level in Memfis's distinct style. The only "abnormality" is that there's no custom music this time, instead the default MAP08 music plays - but it fits okay. The map takes place in and around a small techbase complex in the middle of a brown ASHWALL-textured valley. You'll have to navigate over multiple rocky ledges, too. Environment is varied enough in heights, shapes, and materials, and it is well structured too. Progression is, I'd say, semi-linear - just one path to the exit, but it leads you all around the level and continually opens new places and paths, so that eventually the map is interconnected well. Enemies are placed all around, in such a way that they can pose a challenge. Watch out for chaingunners and revenants - this map has enough of them and they can kill you fast. But this map plays completely fair, as there are no tough traps or anything like that. I enjoyed playing through, and I believe that you will too. Give it a try.

• Relive X2 - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 205571 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Two very short maps by Memfis, made as a tribute to RELIVE.WAD from 1996. MAP02 uses custom textures not present in the wad and therefore crashes vanilla and some source ports. Aside from that, the maps are okay. They are small, compact and highly interconnected simple techbases. Not difficult at all. Fun to rush through. Several custom sounds are present. Visuals look okay, not ugly. The maps have practically nothing memorable in them. Still, give them a go if you're looking for an oldschool-style fun without garish aesthetics.

• Legends - Memfis
    Ultimate Doom - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 188021 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Legends.wad is one level by Memfis, supposedly a tribute to classic 1995 Doom 1 megawad heroes.wad. Memfis liked this megawad for being full of creative ideas, as he stated in its /idgames comments. This (Memfis's) level is moderately extensive and feels really oldschool with its mediocre texture choices, cramped areas, multiple lift/switch/teleporter gimmicks, and a funky midi; there are also custom sounds replacing several Doom's sounds for monsters and weapons. At times you might get a little lost in the map, but not hopelessly. Challenge amount is minimal. Give it a try if you don't mind early 90's wads - this is a good tribute.

• Gordia - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 181046 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Description of this wad says: "2 levels inspired by the year 1995." As usual with Memfis's maps, they are pretty great even from a modern perspective, though. I believe that Memfis's point was to emulate how early wad authors could come up with creative and inventive ideas and weren't obligated to care about stereotypes, detail for the sake of detail etc., while there was already an improvement over the 1994 poor mapping attempts of people inexperienced with an editor. Memfis values this approach, makes his maps in that spirit (not just these two), and manages to do so really well. The maps have small but elaborate-enough structure and detail level to be interesting, and they look nice too. Mainly—and that's what Memfis focuses on—gameplay is very pleasant.

MAP01 is small and compact, but well-structured and nice to explore. Easy to moderately challenging, you just must not slack off (I did, got hit by a revenant and survived the map with 1% health). A couple tougher enemies are present, as well as little traps and surprises; for example, a cacodemon popping out behind you at start. MAP02 is also compact, but longer and more difficult; certain situations are almost unfair, but still manageable for a carefully playing casual Doomer - probably not without taking damage, though, and I died myself multiple times. I still think that the gameplay and difficulty level of these maps is all right and great to satisfy various kinds of players. I liked this little mapset, give it a try - it's standard good Memfis stuff.

• Et Cetera - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Vanilla - Solo Play - 176712 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This wad contains two levels. Memfis somewhat implied that he got inspiration from Kama Sutra, and the maps look so. Of course, they are primarily Memfis maps. That means a fun classic-style gameplay, well structured compact layout and nice visuals with low to moderate amounts of detail. MAP01 is short and vaguely resembles Kama Sutra MAP01 with its texture choices and theme. It's easy (but not entirely easy) and has semi-linear progression. MAP02 is a little longer and tougher. If you pistol start it, you should escape the start cave as soon as possible, or you get overwhelmed by imps. The map has three separate linear paths, wrapping around a central hub. You need to visit all the paths (in whatever order) to make yellow key accessible, and then use the key to exit. The map has some interesting-looking areas in it, but overall is forgettable, as is MAP01. Both maps play fair regarding difficulty and ammo supply. Try out this wad for yet more quick and good fun with Memfis's maps.

• My friend, cock - Lukasxd
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 169883 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Preliatus
    My Friend, Cock was a surprise. Between the readme and the name I was expecting a joke wad, but I was pleased to be greeted with a uniquely detailed level, but sadly that was the only thing good about the level.

A surreal detailed techbase in the sky, or some other liquid.

The opposition is mixed ranging between Demons, Zombie-fodder, two Mancubuses, some Knights, and a Revenant.

Instead of an exit switch you get to shoot a barrel next to the classic head of Romero to end the level.

If you're an abstract wad enthusiast then I recommend this one; otherwise you can pass on it. You won't be missing much.

• Overheat - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 156071 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This is another small techbase by Memfis. Appears like a typical MAP01 opener map of a megawad. Well structured and fun to play. Good looking too, in a nice classic way; for vanilla standards it's really beautiful. Unfortunately the new music track (otherwise a nice one) is a little bugged and might turn into an unpleasant noise in some ports. Difficulty is easy with low-tier enemies, but watch out for sergeants, and there's also one revenant (but no chaingunners). Progression is quite linear, but you'll revisit areas. There's one short optional path branch, and the place is overall pleasant to explore. You should always have enough ammo if you don't tend to waste it on walls. The wad contains a couple new textures and also sprites - count with that when playing in vanilla. Memfis recommends PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. You should try this map - even if it has nothing extra in it, it's fun.

• pus06 - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 148569 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Whatever the file name may imply, these are just two maps by Memfis, and they play on MAP01 and MAP02. Both are relatively short, compact, non-linear, good-looking, and have fun classic-style Doom gameplay. They also feature a few new textures and new music. MAP01 is a techbase with some city motives like soil and bricks. It's easy, with mostly low-tier enemies placed in a lowly threatening way, and there's one revenant, one cacodemon and several chaingunners at most. MAP02 on the other hand has some very challenging moments and contains a lot more dangerous enemies, which you'll find out soon. Thematically it resembles a city + hell mixture. Both maps are well designed, as usually with Memfis's wads, so I recommend you check them out.

• Make, test, post. - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 137729 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    "Make, test, post" is a very fun city-themed map by Memfis. Plays on MAP07 and uses Arachnotron's tag 667 special in its exit area, but this map doesn't resemble Dead Simple at all. It's well structured, quite small (to medium) sized and semi-linear in progression, looks pretty good and I enjoyed exploring it. It's not really a city-like "sandbox", it actually flows similarly to Memfis's techbase maps, but here you have more space and height variation; you'll even get onto rooftops! One secret area requires a hidden keycard, which I find to be a nice non-standard design choice. Regarding difficulty, it's neither a devastating challenge, nor a trivial exercise, so that I've been very pleased. Monsters vary from low to high tier and sometimes attack you from multiple directions and heights; all gameplay setups are fair and well manageable, though. If you decided to camp in the start area, you'll run out of ammo, otherwise you should never be low on ammo if you look around yourself - I like this. You also get berserk pack early. I recommend this map, you'll enjoy it.

Let me guess; one of those reviewers doesn't know how to properly appreciate a WAD that you liked this week. Want to do something about it? Instead of complaining in the comment thread like you always do, perhaps you can make a difference and write some better reviews than those idiots up there. The /newstuff Review Center is the place to do so. Put that Doomworld Forums account to constructive use, because you need one to submit reviews.

I'm not exactly sure if this kind of service that I did is what /newstuff needs. I grabbed a bunch of Memfis's wads and had great fun playing them during several days, and so I've written short descriptions to each one, putting minimum effort to make them entertaining to read or even distinguish them from each other (they end up very same-y). The reviews could have been much better if other, more competent people wrote them, Memfis's maps would deserve it. I'm pretty anti-talented at writing, I decided to do the reviews mainly because of kmxexii's requests and to help, when not many other people do so. So to sum it up:

1. Memfis is the great guy who deserve praise for making so many entertaining maps.
2. It would be nice if more people (and more competent people) reviewed, too. Go for it. It's not such a big nuisance, and it's connected with playing Doom! :)

scifista42 said:

I'm not exactly sure if this kind of service that I did is what /newstuff needs. I grabbed a bunch of Memfis's wads and had great fun playing them during several days, and so I've written short descriptions to each one, putting minimum effort to make them entertaining to read or even distinguish them from each other (they end up very same-y). The reviews could have been much better if other, more competent people wrote them, Memfis's maps would deserve it. I'm pretty anti-talented at writing, I decided to do the reviews mainly because of kmxexii's requests and to help, when not many other people do so. So to sum it up:

1. Memfis is the great guy who deserve praise for making so many entertaining maps.
2. It would be nice if more people (and more competent people) reviewed, too. Go for it. It's not such a big nuisance, and it's connected with playing Doom! :)

dont sweat it dude, thanks for writing reviews

Glaice said:

Memphis overload.

Memfis apparently decided to put many of his wads to /idgames in one day, even though he created them over multiple years. The next /newstuff chronicles will have another 10 of his wads. :)

Memfis is so prolific and talented, does anyone else feel that making WADs is kind of pointless? We could just leave it to Memfis and there will still be more maps than anyone will ever have the time to play.

scifista42 said:

Memfis apparently decided to put many of his wads to /idgames in one day, even though he created them over multiple years. The next /newstuff chronicles will have another 10 of his wads. :)

memfis uploaded his stuff roughly around the time the terry quarantine went up i think, i thought he was holding back because he didnt have faith in the archives, but i dont know that, dont quote me on it

That was one of the reasons but also I was hoping that most of these projects would eventually become 32 map megawads, then they piled up and I was too lazy and embarassed to upload lots of mediocre levels. Still not sure if that was a good idea but oh well, I shouldn't take this so seriously maybe. At least it was funny to upload gazillion wads together.

The trollwad "solution" was very unsatisfying btw.

when did kmxexii start writing like this

Memfis said:

when did kmxexii start writing like this

i picked it up from another forum because this feels more relaxed / conversational to me

But if it's actually annoying anyone, I can cut it out.

Heh, I did the opposite some time ago. I thought I was going soft with age.

Also scifista needs to stfu and take the praise, because that's a lot of work done.

Lowercase typing used to make me think of overly aggressive unachievers trying to appear cool and laid back while they smashed furiously their keyboard keys to defend their e-peen on message boards after getting smacked around too hard in whatever video game.

that totally isn't their life anyway, man. ha, they have a gf and all. and they do gorilla warfare. they're not some loser nerd, it just so happens they have 6 hours of free time each day to play because they play the stock market and they earn $300k a year so they're their own boss. unlike those other scrubs who only win at the game because that's all they do.

One more decade of Internet and a lot more people on it, and now my mind associates it with college kids trying to appear cool and laid back while they're writing passive aggressive blogs about how much more hip and sophisticated they are than everyone else.

like dude why are you even getting angry about, haha. you got to learn to appreciate the little things. like me i'm so above it all. i'm happy all the time, look at me, at how relaxed i sound.

Yeah, the writing style is ruined for me. I suppose that's how some people here feel about emoticons. Bad experiences can shape unconscious impressions forever.

on the bright side who cares about it haha i'm just a random stranger, like dude why even care what i think, be cool. don't sweat it

besides only a fucking nerd moron would care about that shit. wow. i swear you guys have no lives, me i'm just here between downtime at my job as CEO of something but i'm too busy for this shit now so i'm out, cya losers

Phml said:

Lowercase typing used to make me think of overly aggressive unachievers trying to appear cool and laid back while they smashed furiously their keyboard keys to defend their e-peen on message boards after getting smacked around too hard in whatever video game.

that totally isn't their life anyway, man. ha, they have a gf and all. and they do gorilla warfare. they're not some loser nerd, it just so happens they have 6 hours of free time each day to play because they play the stock market and they earn $300k a year so they're their own boss. unlike those other scrubs who only win at the game because that's all they do.

One more decade of Internet and a lot more people on it, and now my mind associates it with college kids trying to appear cool and laid back while they're writing passive aggressive blogs about how much more hip and sophisticated they are than everyone else.

like dude why are you even getting angry about, haha. you got to learn to appreciate the little things. like me i'm so above it all. i'm happy all the time, look at me, at how relaxed i sound.

Yeah, the writing style is ruined for me. I suppose that's how some people here feel about emoticons. Bad experiences can shape unconscious impressions forever.

on the bright side who cares about it haha i'm just a random stranger, like dude why even care what i think, be cool. don't sweat it

besides only a fucking nerd moron would care about that shit. wow. i swear you guys have no lives, me i'm just here between downtime at my job as CEO of something but i'm too busy for this shit now so i'm out, cya losers

Hey, are you ever going to "officially" release PHMLSPD? I think I have an old copy lying around somewhere but I was wondering if "development" had ceased

Phml said:

:(

Well it would be cool if you "finished" it but I don't entirely buy into the mystique of the 32-map megaWAD so if you're done with it I'll get around to playing what you have done