Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Gotcha! doesn't seem properly rebalanced to account for the lack of the Spider Mastermind on UV. From a pistol start, you won't be able to gather enough ammo before the Cyber to take it out, and you will have to resort to berserk punching it (on a not-so-large platform with little maneuverability to boot). Maybe place another box of shells or two in the beginning area?

EDIT: There isn't enough ammo for a pistol start in general. I gave myself an extra shell box to get past the Cyber, and even after punching out many of the Cacos and Hell Knights, I still barely had enough ammo to get by. Also the door to the BFG secret doesn't seem to open, and there doesn't seem to be a Rocket Launcher anywhere nor a Chaingun.

I'm surprised nobody said about this flaw: Mill has two player 1 starts. When you start the level, you are in one of the secrets instead of the start of the level.

I never get this thing about "pistol start". I know, when you die in PSX you start with pistol, but it's very strange to play this without "password" reloading. Please don't misunderstand me, but I think that players shouldn't play only with pistol. Before first Cyberdemon fight you must get plasmagun (on this level) and rocketlauncher.

DeXiaZ said:

I never get this thing about "pistol start". I know, when you die in PSX you start with pistol, but it's very strange to play this without "password" reloading. Please don't misunderstand me, but I think that players shouldn't play only with pistol. Before first Cyberdemon fight you must get plasmagun (on this level) and rocketlauncher.

Pistol start is a legitimate style of play, and any map should be able to stand on its own and be fully doable from a Pistol start (the original Doom levels were made with this intention, which wasn't at all lost in the transition to PSX, so there's no reason to abandon it here; in fact PSXDoom maps were even more accommodating for Pistol starting, with especially brutal to Pistol start maps such as Hell Beneath being given greater resources). The Plasma Gun is much later in the level, beyond where you fight the Cyberdemon (and you must kill the Cyber to advance, so you can't get the Plasma Gun to fight the Cyber), and the Rocket Launcher was nowhere to be found (though even with the Rocket Launcher, you still wouldn't have enough ammo in the beginning area to take the Cyber out).

Ah fuck, it's what testing stuff does to me haha, I've gotten rid of the second player 1 start, as for Gotcha, I've put in a couple more boxes of shells. DeXiaZ, what map is that? And anymore bugs guys?

Hahaha I was ill last weekend and that stalled TWM01. Hopefully I can finish that up in the week, it's just sorting the monsters out now I think.

It was such a small level, it needed hardly any work on the architecture.

Omega Tyrant, it's a legimate and have no logic playstyle. It's kinda hardcore. For example, you can play old Resident Evil games only with knife, it's not forbidden, but still stupid. Like killing Cyberdemon with chainsaw or...pistol? (and it's NOT the FIRST map!)

Sorry if those words looks like too rude, but you know it's illogical.

Also, the game is about Hell. How it's possible to have too much ammo and weapons in hell? ;)

Salahmander2, Against thee wickedly.

P.S.: I didn't want to offend anyone, sorry.

Salahmander2 said:

I never had that problem on my playthrough whatsoever, the map worked fine, so not sure what it is.

As I remember - it's a secret place. So, if somebody wants to find all secrets...it's will be a problem due to this "error script"

Pistol start is something you have to do if you die in a level. It's not an alternative pro-mode gameplay style. Neglecting pistol start is essentially a basic balancing problem, as it screws over anyone who doesn't use quicksaves, which PSX Doom didn't even have.

It was also one of Romero's basic rules for designing the game.

DeXiaZ said:

As I remember - it's a secret place. So, if somebody wants to find all secrets...it's will be a problem due to this "error script"

Well I found all the secrets on my playthrough, so....

Jaxxoon R said:

Pistol start is something you have to do if you die in a level. It's not an alternative pro-mode gameplay style. Neglecting pistol start is essentially a basic balancing problem, as it screws over anyone who doesn't use quicksaves, which PSX Doom didn't even have.

Well, I forgot. You're boss, feel free to re-edit map for this.

P.S.: And that's strange. E4M6 basicaly was designed with pistol start in 1996, why it's a problem NOW, in 2014?

FWIW, this is what I finished of TWM01.wad. Visual stuff was mostly done, though there's still some unfinished stuff, and monsters need sorting out. Hoping to start lowering the amount of time I spend sat in front of screen now, so probably wasn't going to finish it anyway.

Jaxxoon R said:

Pistol start is something you have to do if you die in a level. It's not an alternative pro-mode gameplay style.

lolwut?

Salahmander2 said:

Any news in regards to reducing the detail in Castle and Escape? Because I am starting to get tempted to do it myself.

I'll finish it later. Summer had been a total bastard for me so I had little to no time to do much regarding any projects for anything, and I've only recently managed to rediscover any sense of normality to close this clusterfuck of a year with.

Fake Edit:
I don't remember Escape needing any detail reduction.

BaronOfStuff said:

I don't remember Escape needing any detail reduction.

Ah completely forgot Escape was fine as it is, but the texturing does exceed the 1536 pixels however.

ducon said:

lolwut?

Jaxxoon R said:

Neglecting pistol start is essentially a basic balancing problem, as it screws over anyone who doesn't use quicksaves, which PSX Doom didn't even have.

Well, it is a challenge mode, but in the context of PSX Doom it's what you have to deal with when you screw up.

BaronOfStuff said:

Updated (simplified) the not-Wolfenstein maps.

Nothing drastic (they still play as they always have), and the textures used have been reduced to comply somewhat with the apparent limit.

Ah excellent, was wondering when they would be arriving, you still planning on splitting the IoS levels?

BaronOfStuff said:

Yep, can probably have those done by the end of the week.

Great, because once that's done, I can put them in the PK3 and hopefully, it'll be out of the beta/pre-beta status at last.

Sorry if these were answered already somewhere in the thread, but I have a couple questions.

1. Is it possible this project could be made into a hack of the original Doom/Final Doom on PSX that could run on actual hardware or a PSX emulator?

2. Could the PSX Doom style be expanded to more maps outside of the official Dooms? Like classic pwads, the "lost" Master Levels, or maybe even Chex Quest?

I've been playing Doom on an actual PSX lately and would love to play more Doom related material in the same manner.

Nemark said:

Sorry if these were answered already somewhere in the thread, but I have a couple questions.

1. Is it possible this project could be made into a hack of the original Doom/Final Doom on PSX that could run on actual hardware or a PSX emulator?

2. Could the PSX Doom style be expanded to more maps outside of the official Dooms? Like classic pwads, the "lost" Master Levels, or maybe even Chex Quest?

I've been playing Doom on an actual PSX lately and would love to play more Doom related material in the same manner.

Answer to your questions.

1: It would require god knows how much hacking to get it up and running.

2: We've already done one of the "Lost" Master Levels. Classic PWADs I am not sure on, most likely not.

mrthejoshmon said:

Chance of a future community project?

It definitely sounds like a possibility, would be interesting to see how UAC_DEAD turns out.

Nemark said:

There are already plans laid out for at least three more add-ons for PSX TC, NRFTL and D64, and Lost Master Levels. No reason why other things cant be transferred to this style. I'm hoping for the three commercial wads to be done and compiled together myself.

Salahmander2 said:

2: We've already done one of the "Lost" Master Levels

TWM01? Does this mean you or someone did indeed pick it up and finish it?