Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

No SSECTORS lump?

So recently this one map in my wad has decided it doesn't need the SSECTORS lump anymore.

Now an error message comes up when I try to test in DB2 and play the wad separately through Boom saying the SSECTORS lump is missing and I can't play it. How do I get this lump to come back?

Linguica said:

Have you tried running it through a node builder?

I've just dragged and dropped the wad onto ZenNode program in my DB2 folder.

I tried this three times and each time it got to map32 (the one that's been misbehaving) and promptly crashed. The last line that came up was:

creating BLOCKMAP ...

plums said:

Is it a gigantic map? You might be exceeding the normal node limits if so.

It's big in the sense that it takes up a lot of space in DB2, but it doesn't have a huge amount of sectors (435) and linedefs (4217) in it, also this needs to be compatible with Boom.

Foodles said:

It's big in the sense that it takes up a lot of space in DB2, but it doesn't have a huge amount of sectors (435) and linedefs (4217) in it, also this needs to be compatible with Boom.

Was a SEGS lump generated? If so, what size is it?

Just checked in Slade and there is no SEGS lump for that map, the only lumps associated with it are things, linedefs, vertexes, sidedefs and sectors

Oh and another thing, when I try and save this map it comes up with a warning saying that the nodebuilder failed to build the required data structures and that the map will be saved without nodes.

Then try another node builder. Zennode is not the most stable software out there and likes to abort on maps that fail its assumptions of 'sanity' - which are not really compatible with what the engine expects.

That can happen if the sectors/sidedefs ratio is too low, for example.

Graf Zahl said:

Then try another node builder.

Well I used ZDBSP and it works and runs fine but isn't that for Zdoom only? It still doesn't work in prboom+.

Tried DeepBSP and still no dice I'm afraid.

I can't say that I really know what I'm doing.

Good news, I fixed it!

Since the level consisted of several separate areas I just moved all these areas closer together on the grid and this seems to have worked, it runs in Boom and ZenNode seems to be able to handle it.

Foodles said:

Well I used ZDBSP and it works and runs fine but isn't that for Zdoom only? It still doesn't work in prboom+.

Tried DeepBSP and still no dice I'm afraid.

I can't say that I really know what I'm doing.

No, as long as you don't use "compressed" nodes. PrBoom-Plus and Eternity both support ZDoom uncompressed node format. Of course this is still limiting your compatibility somewhat, but barely in a way that matters (I'd estimate you're reaching about 97% of the community by supporting that combination).

Gez said:

ZDBSP is perfectly able to build vanilla nodes, too.

Right, but I'm operating under the assumption that his map is exceeding some limit. If that's NOT the case, by all means try vanilla node generation with ZDBSP first. It might just be a bug in ZenNode like Graf suggested earlier.