Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arclite

Some Text Screen questions

(ZDoom, UDMF) So I'd like to make a couple of modifications involving text screens with my Wad.
First, I'd like to know how (and where) I can make a type of "scrolling text screen" that goes downward and can display more text, so I don't have to bunch as much storytelling as I can into only a few sentences (the default text screens are pretty small).
Second, How can I make one text screen switch to a second one, with a different background image and music, after the first one is completed.
Lastly, I want to know if it's possible to have a text screen display an actual background image (a PNG or JPEG for example) rather than just a Flat texture.

I've looked into some of this on the ZDoom wiki but I'm not sure where exactly I "put" the definitions. MAPINFO? A Script?
Frankly I've making a Wad from scratch and been trying to jump into ACS Script and UDMF stuff after being quite unfamiliar with a lot of it's additions and capabilities, so I'm pretty lost with a lot of things.

EDIT: Well as for the Last question I just dug around a bit more and realized you can add "pic" instead of "flat" for the text screen image. (For some reason I usually end up figuring things like this out right after I ask about them on the forums.)

Tormentor was a master of screens such as you are trying to achieve.
Download his map The Ultimate Torment & Torture.
http://www.realm667.com/index.php/component/content/289?task=view
and play it with GZDoom to see what he has done.

Then, if you have not done so already, download Slade3
http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads
and see how he has done those screens in titlemap_gl.wad.

From what I can tell, he seems to make a type of "level" where the player is frozen and given a variety of hud messages, though I don't understand the Border and Nummer stuff.
Also at this point, I mostly just want to know how I can tweak the default text screen type, making the text smaller/changing its color.

You should be able to make an image for your text screen and just put you text in the image and you should be able to use scale to fix any resolution issue I believe. I need to learn this I have made my own menu before just not a text screen.

Ah you mean like my make own text and then just paste it into the image I plan to use for the text screen? I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a try.

I believe that is how it works I don't see why they would make it differ from the menu. Let me know if it does I got a big standalone project I'm working on so I got to make a new everything.