Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drilbur

Is Dooms shotgun overrated?

I keep seeing people naming Doom's shotgun as one of the best shotguns in FPSs, and I personally don't understand why. Sure when you play through the game you rely on it a lot, but I think that has more to do with the fact that ammo for it is so abundant. For a Shotgun, it's really weak [It takes over 5 close ranges shots to kill most of the monsters in the game], and it also sounds like it's farting when you fire it. Doom 3's shotgun was even worse, although it had more power, it had pretty much no range whatsoever, and the sound of it reloading was far louder then the sound of the shot itself.

Now the Super Shotgun in Doom 2 was a big improvement, easily my favorite weapon in the series.

To really understand its (and the chaingun's) kickassness, I feel it needs to be put in the context of the first Doom, particularly E1. You could totally wreck face with both weapons and have a helluva good time doing it since beefstick monsters weren't too prevalent yet.

I think maybe the ssg is overrated? Doom 1 I think had better balance. Imo the chainsaw has the best balance and kind of shows how the ssg can be overrused.

Xaser said:

To really understand its (and the chaingun's) kickassness, I feel it needs to be put in the context of the first Doom, particularly E1. You could totally wreck face with both weapons and have a helluva good time doing it since beefstick monsters weren't too prevalent yet.

I agree. Consequently killing imps shot by shot, or 1-3 zombies per one shot, is pretty satisfying. In the context of the first Doom, at least. SSG x high-tier monsters makes for a differently satisfying kind of combat.

So apparently Drilbur or a friend of his/hers has a serious problem where farts sound like a shotgun shot.

Doom's shotgun is the best in immediate memory, in power, utility, and reliability, for any game. Some shotguns are in your face gambles, others have a pitiful ammo supply making them too costly, and so forth. Doom's SG has power, range, accuracy, and plentiful ammo.

Drilbur said:

it also sounds like it's farting when you fire it.

You must have pretty poor quality PC speakers if it sounds that way to you.

It is not the best but the second. The best is the Super Shotgun. Universally. It all comes down to how shooting feels. Whatever you shoot at with it feels incredibly good. There's no technichal aspect to consider, It's just the sound, the blood and the zombies falling by the douzen.

Also, we shouldn't forget that most shotguns in games have an effective range of only five metres (which is very unrealistic), for some reason. DooM's shotgun can actually be of use at a distance, even with its "horizontal only" pellet pattern.

I think it's underrated. It's pretty common for players to run around shooting lone zombies and imps with SSG, even if they're too far to kill with one blast (but just about right to take out with one or two SG shots). Some of the Doom videos and demos are painful to watch because of that.

By the way if you want to see a game with weapons that fart, play Battlefield 3. That's a symphony of farts.

The shotgun sounds like a fart? What are you eatin' that gives you farts like that?!

Ragnor said:

Doom's SG has power, range, accuracy, and plentiful ammo.

This. I'm always weary of grabbing the shotgun in other FPS games, as they're rarely as universally useful as Doom's is.

It's called the best FPS shotgun by many for two reasons:
1) It is reliable in almost any circumstance.
2) Many gamers don't know what an SSG is ;)

The SSG will always be my favorite, but the single barrel is the one even non-doomers know.

I guess since the Doom 32X's soundtrack is regarded as "farting sounds" because it sounds bad, it's cool to name something as "farts" because we don't like the sound

Or I don't know

DISSING THE HOLY SHOTGUN?! That's overrated.

Drilbur said:

For a Shotgun, it's really weak [It takes over 5 close ranges shots to kill most of the monsters in the game]

This may be true in Doom II, but in Doom I it kills "most monsters", up to the Cacodemon, in at most 5 hits. The only ones that require regularly more are Baron, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, so that's not "most monsters". So it's about adequate for the occasional (non-slauthermap) "Heavy Job", but not meant to be used exclusively for it. It's silly to take on Barons with the shotty if you have better weapons or infighting at your disposal.

With Doom II, you may have a point though. The Heavy Weapon Dude and the SS Nazi are the only new monsters than you can kill in 1 shot (and even single imps, with their 60 HP, could sometimes survive, vs the 70 of a HWD). The PE is the same as a caco...so 4-5 shots, Revenants the same...but yeah, the other stuff is all too heavy for the shotty. That's why you get a SSG for these close-contact shots.

Doomkid said:

The shotgun sounds like a fart? What are you eatin' that gives you farts like that?!

Perhaps he was thinking of another kind of shotgun....

It's the best gun ever. SSG is stronger but in proper maps you don't have enough ammo to obliterate zombiemen and seargents with it.

Not at all. It's actually one of the most reliable weapons in any FPS game, and it's very well balanced. I have no idea how you listened to the shotgun blast and thought "Fart". That is perhaps the biggest question of the thread.

Nonsense, the Doom shotgun has speed, range, accuracy, stopping power, lots of ammunition - honestly, it's a really well-balanced weapon. It wasn't until Doom 2 introduced the super shotgun that the original became obsolete, or more accurately, redundant. And honestly, even with the super shotgun, I still use the regular shotgun for fodder enemies. But really, especially in the first game, I really liked how well balanced it was with the chaingun - neither weapon really felt unnecessary, it all just depended on the situation.

Ragnor said:

Doom's shotgun is the best in immediate memory, in power, utility, and reliability, for any game. Some shotguns are in your face gambles, others have a pitiful ammo supply making them too costly, and so forth. Doom's SG has power, range, accuracy, and plentiful ammo.

This. Ragnor nailed it.

The various shotguns and repeat action rifles in Outlaws are much more fun to use than Doom's single shotty. More power, more grit. The manual reloading is possibly a downside, but it adds more cool and the weapons feel less like toys. And it's still crazy fast, Marshal Anderson actually has quicker hands than Doomguy.

The boomstick is still fun though. Gets old quick against meaty bodies in Doom 2 stuff.

Patrol1985 said:

This. Ragnor nailed it.

Indeed. While we're at it, what shotgun sound effect do you (as in anyone, not Patrol1985 specifically) prefer? The original, or the PSX version? I have a hard time picking one above the other, myself...

Olroda said:

While we're at it, what shotgun sound effect do you (as in anyone, not Patrol1985 specifically) prefer? The original, or the PSX version?

I'll always prefer the PC original, as the classic one. The PSX one is good too, though more "dull".

Olroda said:

Indeed. While we're at it, what shotgun sound effect do you (as in anyone, not Patrol1985 specifically) prefer? The original, or the PSX version? I have a hard time picking one above the other, myself...

PSX. I especially like the echo it does when in a long narrow corridor.

xAn said:

As long as you have enough shells you never use another weapon...

...than the SSG, you wanted to say? :P