Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
talkingheadssms

Classic Feeling Lost

Where's the little face that looks around and starts to bleed? It's just not Doom without it.

Yes it is. Like Das Flathead said, live with it. The face on the status bar sucked anyway. I say they use a thingy like ZDoom where it just shows Ammo, Armor, Health and keys, nothing else.

Disagreed. The marine face was a highlight of Doom, making it far easier to tell how low on health you are, which is a good thing. It's so much easier to glance at the amount of red out of the bottom of your eye to detect your condition, rather than looking directly at a number in the corner of the screen and reading it. It's quite unrealistic to have to constantly be reading a number between 0 and 100 to tell how hurt YOU are. This graphical aide played an important role in the immersitivity of the game.

I can't count the number of times that I died from a breath of hot air due to not realizing that my health was < 10%. It's the real-life equivalent of not being able to feel any pain. Imagine constantly having to examine your body to make sure you aren't bleeding and haven't stepped on a nail. That's what it's like without the visual aide. When you have the Doomguy face in the bottom-center of the screen, it offers some kind of virtual pain in that it's hard to not notice the bloody face.

E-mail ID Software and demand that they insert the Doomguy face.

Now, if the head on your HUD was exactly mirrored on the character model (as seen by other players), with expression, direction, and degree of phustigation, that would be cool.

same here; disagreed; however, I ain't part of the id co-workers, can't do nothing about it. Wonder what's up with the face in Quake 3's HUD, it only knows how to look from left to right, right to left, nothing else. Boring facial expressions :\

AndrewB said:

Disagreed. The marine face was a highlight of Doom, making it far easier to tell how low on health you are, which is a good thing. It's so much easier to glance at the amount of red out of the bottom of your eye to detect your condition, rather than looking directly at a number in the corner of the screen and reading it. It's quite unrealistic to have to constantly be reading a number between 0 and 100 to tell how hurt YOU are. This graphical aide played an important role in the immersitivity of the game.

I can't count the number of times that I died from a breath of hot air due to not realizing that my health was < 10%. It's the real-life equivalent of not being able to feel any pain. Imagine constantly having to examine your body to make sure you aren't bleeding and haven't stepped on a nail. That's what it's like without the visual aide. When you have the Doomguy face in the bottom-center of the screen, it offers some kind of virtual pain in that it's hard to not notice the bloody face.

/me smacks AndrewB

The face blows, it is not like it is THAT hard to look at your health, I know it isn't hard for me...

Admit it. You started out undecided on the issue, and you only said "the face sucks" because you need to pretend that you have a strong opinion on a subject so that you feel big and manly and swollen down in your trousers.

Well, why do you all think it´s gone? Just because you don´t saw it in the movie? id´s games were always higly customizable since the Quake series, and this always included HUD variations, so it´s not unlikely that there will be a console variable that turns on a HUD with mug.

999cop: the HUD faces in Quake3 don´t have facial expression because they just show the real headmodel of one of the 30 player models. Imagine making head sprites with 6 or so different facial expressions for all the 30 player models! It´s a good idea for a mod though ;)
But I turn the 3D HUD off anyway with cg_draw3dIcons 0

AndrewB said:

Do you have any idea how retarded that would look with the new engine? Lot's of people want the old Doom to be translated with the new engine. That would look absolutely horrible.

Doom III will be a different type of Doom, live with it..

I have learned to accept it (the face was already missing in RtCW - something I wasn't so happy about), and judging by the fact that the new display is supposed to be a realistic depiction of the Doomguy's view when he looks through his helmet, the face would ruin that - I mean, what good would it do in real life to see your own face depicted at the bottom anyway?

I'm not too happy about the face missing though (because I agree with AndrewB on this issue), but I can live with it.

And for the love of God (or whatever), don't email id about such a small thing as the face in the display (they'll probably be laughing their asses off when they see this thread).

there is no evidence to support the face is coming back, nor any to prove that it isn't. So we'll have to wait and see.

I hope it does come back :)

AndrewB said:

Admit it. You started out undecided on the issue, and you only said "the face sucks" because you need to pretend that you have a strong opinion on a subject so that you feel big and manly and swollen down in your trousers.

Yes it is. Like Das Flathead said, live with it. The face on the status bar sucked anyway. I say they use a thingy like ZDoom where it just shows Ammo, Armor, Health and keys, nothing else.

Yes, so undecided...

dsm said:

the face was already missing in RtCW - something I wasn't so happy about

There is a console variable that turns on the old Wolfenstein3D HUD in RTCW - it´s more an easteregg, but at least it´s there :)
(I never tried it out though, but saw it on a screenshot)

talkingheadssms said:

Where's the little face that looks around and starts to bleed? It's just not Doom without it.

I hated the face. It got on my nerves constantly moving its eyes. I hated to cut off the status bar 'cuz I wouldn't see my health and ammo. Thank God for ZDoom...

Bah. The face is more than a healt indicator. It shows wich direction you get hit from if you don't have stereo sound and don't see the enemy or it's attack (like an explotion) Granted that most people DO have stereo sound these days- Hell, some people even got 4 ways surround sound and such crap. But this is the fact. The face is an important part of Doom's image and imo it should be there. Not the original doomguys face perhaps but the current doomguys face.. since they got all this power now they coluld even go further and have the players head that is on the model down there, and whatever it do the player models head do aswell. I think that would be pretty naff.

BTW. I always kept a eye on the doomguys face. at first I was so enticed by it that I had a hard time letting my eyes go from it.. How he moved his eyes back and forth like that. Kinda anchious yet steady. Really helped set the mood. Not to mention how he grinned like a madman when he got a new weapon.. MWUAHHHHAHA anyway, love the face. Need the face. The quake face sucked cause it didn't move and had too much blood wich made me overanchious. I saw shots of q2 having a face aswell, dunno where it went.

Tetzlaff said:

There is a console variable that turns on the old Wolfenstein3D HUD in RTCW - it´s more an easteregg, but at least it´s there :)
(I never tried it out though, but saw it on a screenshot)

I know about that, but A) it only works in mp, B) it looks like shit because it's all washed out (due to openGL), C) it also replaces the weapon with the old Wolf3d weapons (by looks - the venom gun is replaced with the old chaingun and every other weapon that is not one of the pistols turns into the old smg) and D) the face's eyes doesn't move.

I saw shots of q2 having a face aswell, dunno where it went.

It was in the Q2 demo - looked pretty cool, but was just about as still as the Q1 face, but with cooler-looking expressions (and the "turn-head-in-direction-from-where-you-are-shot" returned). They scrapped it in the final release because you could change the model and the skin of your character (one face for all skins/models would be downright daft).

dsm said:

A) it only works in mp, B) it looks like shit because it's all washed out (due to openGL), C) it also replaces the weapon with the old Wolf3d weapons and D) the face's eyes doesn't move.

Well yeah, then it was really nothing more than a pretty useless easteregg...

bigbadgangsta said:

Dunno, why am I banned?

when i saw yur description that says "banned" i thought u were banned. i saw you posting later though, then i realized that that was some kind of joke :\

I always thought the HUD took away from the game, 'cause it took up a bit much of the screen, and I always played with it off (and I still do) because I thought it more realistic with no HUD at the bottom of the screen, but it would be somewhat of a dissapointment to see it not appear in the new Doom game.

i'll miss that face too. it was always funny how the medic kits fixed his hair and the demons would always mess it up again. especially the cyberdemon, it's hard to fix your hair if you don't have a head. i used to call them hair kits because of that. i guess that would make the armor really good hair spray.

gatewatcher said:

when i saw yur description that says "banned" i thought u were banned. i saw you posting later though, then i realized that that was some kind of joke :\

It is not called a description, it is called a Custom Title or Custom User Text.

gatewatcher said:

ok

I don't mean to sound mean, but you should be sure of what things are called.

I can't say I will miss the face. It had its purpose way back when especialy for people like me who did not have sound cards. Once I did have one I never payed attention to it again. What kills me a lot is forgetting to check my ammo and running out in the middle of a fight. Is that the developers fault, of course not its mine for not looking at the gauge that was provided for me. As far as an image based health indicator goes I would go with a body silhouette like the one in Deus Ex. It not only let you know how much damage you have racked up but where your being hit as well. But I don't have a problem with just a number gauge either. Although it would be nice if the maker of an FPS would take a cue from strategy games and color code your health status: 100%-75% green, 74%-26% yellow, 25% and under red. Maybe add invert flashing when your down to 10%.