Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lainos

Deneb Colony

Here is a little map I made kind of spontaneously as a spin-off of 5till L1 Complex. Since it's pretty short and open I decided to make the gameplay pretty difficult, so choose the skill level carefully!. UV is intended for true pros at the game (which I'm definitely not).

Your mission here is to send an SOS signal and escape from the infested Deneb* colony.

Maps: 1 + an outro map
Format: limit removing with *.ogg support (PrBoom+ or more advanced)
Iwad: doom2.wad
Complevel: 2

* (Deneb is the brightest star in the constellation Capricornus)

Screenshot:

Download: http://lainos.ucoz.net/load/0-0-0-92-20

Looks great, but the amount of little tiny details to get caught on renders it nearly unplayable.

Plus, Pain Elementals were a really bad choice of enemy in a map that so many impassable lines. Also, "player with single-barrel only vs. a Pain Elemental" start is incredibly tedious.

Cynical said:

Also, "player with single-barrel only vs. a Pain Elemental" start is incredibly tedious.

I thought it was a great way to put a pressure and challenge early on. Tedious? PE has the same health as the Cacodemon. You need strategy! And that's very alright.

(I've only played the start yet.)

scifista42 said:

I thought it was a great way to put a pressure and challenge early on. Tedious? PE has the same health as the Cacodemon. You need strategy! And that's very alright.

(I've only played the start yet.)

Strategy? Not really. You've got two options, both of them dull:

1. Kill a PE with a single-barrel. Takes forever, but isn't actually hard to do.
2. Open the "warehouse" building, close the door, then run in. Get a chaingun from in there, then open the door from the inside and exit. Faster because you've got less cleanup, but still boils down to "stunlock one enemy".

Cynical said:

Takes forever, but isn't actually hard to do.

I've found it challenging, and therefore interesting and entertaining. You need special movements to effectively fight a PE, and don't forget about the other distractive enemies around. I admit, I'm not a pro.

Just had a go at this. Looks rather swanky, though I think it has some underlying issues that might annoy some people..

First of all, finding myself in a hostile situation with no decent weapons I ran around searching for something better than a shotgun while ignoring all the monsters, which isn't so bad with all the space, but then this happened:

I'm quite safe behind that blocking balcony of course, but I think pain elementals are a bit too heavily used in general in this map, virtually every encounter involves them, they can become a bit of a drag after a while. And having loads of flying monsters in a place with blocking balconies like that is always going to look a bit weird too.

I think this relates to another problem which is that the realism of the environment is kind of detrimental to the gameplay. Lovely though the texturing is, it cant hide the extreme orthagonal nature of the whole map, just checking the automap shows how square everything is, and I get that it is based on real world buildings that are like that, but it makes the gameplay and visuals feel very basic and repetitive. There are also some square mazey sections that feel very old school in a bad way.

Falling down into the pit of revenants and pillars is really annoying thanks to awkward navigation, and getting back up is even more annoying than that thanks to some timed switch malarkey. And on the subject cramped navigation, stuff like this door frame will get on people's nerves:

because people will get stuck on the bit that sticks out from the wall. If you need to have details like that try experimenting with a midtexture maybe.

I saw 2 cybers at the end, though only one of them was between me and the exit so the other was entirely optional, I guess a lot of the fights were optional. The monster placement in general felt a little bit secondary to the design, but then the design itself is maybe a bit too fundamental for more interesting fights.

I know I'm being really negative, but its only because the visuals show you have potential to improve with future maps. Oh by the way, these guys:

Are they there for decorative reasons, because they weren't doing much else? Not that I'm complaining about 2 less revenants shooting at me of course.

Although i agree with almost everything that everyone is saying here, i have to say that the design is impressive.

Memfis said:

That shouldn't be happening, they are supposed to move just fine. Which port\settings are you using?

I'm using zdoom. Looks like they are stuck on the tree sprites behind them.