Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drilbur

Destiny

Just curious if anyone here has play this game yet. It's been getting mixed reviews and I was wondering if it's worth picking up.

I haven't played it myself, but I'd been wondering about the same stuff as you so I called my friend who's always up-to-date with games.

He told me that the game is exactly as it's being reviewed: average

It seems that the whole marketing campaign actually made the perception of the game worse, because everyone was expecting some sort of a miracle, whereas the game is just average - not disastrous, but not very good either.

The friend told me that Borderlands 2 is better. Cooler weapons and characters. I haven't played much BL 2 either, so the comparison doesn't tell me much, but maybe someone will make something of it.

doomgargoyle said:

It's a console only game, isnt it? And by Bungie. Fuck it.

Yeah, that's important to note - thus far it's "console exclusive", which also made me ignore the title instantly.

Captain Red said:

It looks like every AAA game that I haven't been interested in playing over the last 10 years all rolled into one neat little package.

My thoughts exactly..

Captain Red said:

It looks like every AAA game that I haven't been interested in playing over the last 10 years all rolled into one neat little package.

AAA game is becoming its on genre.

Haven't played it, haven't seen it. Heard Jim Sterling complaining about everyone showing it on Youtube and flooding the system. Yet I haven't seen one thing. Maybe I'm just not subscribed to let's players.

Definitely enjoyed the beta. The game has a bit of a weak start though, apparantly. But I guess thats to be expected of an MMO type game at launch.

It looks alright. Nobody should be surprised it's not as good as was promised because bungie is firmly up their own asses.

I'm watching a Let's Play of it and so far it seems nice. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's definitely not a *bad* game.

ITT: Grandpas shooing kids off their lawns

It's an all right game. Visually it's lovely, at least on PS4. I only played in the beta on PS3 and I think I can correlate that it's pretty average. I certainly have had more fun playing Borderlands if only because of the excellent writing and more over the top guns and action.

It's not very fun to solo, I might add. It seems designed explicitly with being in a group to play. But maybe I just suck (which, with a controller vs mouse/kb I definitely suck). Would be nice to see on PC but wouldn't count on it.

what i don't get is why a game with this kind of premise (open-ended, multiplayer world that constantly changes itself) is a console-exclusive. that feels like putting an MMO on a console only. wouldn't a game like this be the most fun to play on the PC?

Doomhuntress said:

what i don't get is why a game with this kind of premise (open-ended, multiplayer world that constantly changes itself) is a console-exclusive. that feels like putting an MMO on a console only. wouldn't a game like this be the most fun to play on the PC?

A friend of mine thought up quite a logical hypothesis: PC MMO market is dominated by WoW. Perhaps Bungie wanted to secure the console market by creating "The WoW of consoles".

I must admit, it does look somewhat interesting. Chances are there's no chance in hell of me picking it up, though, until well after the multiplayer community is dead and gone, because that's just how I am with console games (wait 'till it's like $5 on the Game of the Week sale or something before I'll even consider it).

That and I realize I have to alter my expectations here - it's made by Bungie, after all, and I've already got one Halo game I never play and in a couple of days will have another (thanks to the Xbox Live Games with Gold program, wherein you get two free randomly chosen titles a month). I dunno, in theory, I thought it was cool to get a free copy of Halo 3 (technically, I mean there is the Xbox Live subscription fee, but I use it for other things, too), but my God is that game dull, at least in my opinion, and if Destiny plays anything like Halo, then I'll probably play it for like an hour and never touch it again. I do like the concept of having an open-ended world with the multiplayer and all that, just wonder about the execution.

My boss theorizes that they don't have/want to invest in the manpower to combat hackers and gold sellers that are so much more rampant on PC than consoles (not to say they don't exist).

geekmarine said:

...if Destiny plays anything like Halo, then I'll probably play it for like an hour and never touch it again.

I have played a lot of Halo and I can say Destiny plays like a super roid filled version of Halo: Reach (Which is almost nothing like Halo 3).

My first thought is that it looked like Borderlands, but on closer inspection, the only real difference I can find between this game and Defiance is that it's first-person. Well, that, and there's no repetitive loading screens. Also Defiance is free, and on PC. If I really felt a need for a mediocre, uninspired sci-fi plot on an open-world shooter MMO, I'd just go with the one that costs nothing and is on a device I already own.

mrthejoshmon said:

I have played a lot of Halo and I can say Destiny plays like a super roid filled version of Halo: Reach (Which is almost nothing like Halo 3).

Well, as Halo: Reach will be the next game in the Games for Gold program, in a few days, I'll be able to see what that's like for myself. Good to know.

doomgargoyle said:

And by Bungie.

Eh, while modern Bungie is definitely not the same company that they were prior to the MS acquisition, I hope you're taking that into account and not trashing their entire history as a whole. Marathon and Myth were awesome, and I haven't yet played Oni but I hear it's pretty good.

Patrol1985 said:

A friend of mine thought up quite a logical hypothesis: PC MMO market is dominated by WoW. Perhaps Bungie wanted to secure the console market by creating "The WoW of consoles".

Nomad said:

My boss theorizes that they don't have/want to invest in the manpower to combat hackers and gold sellers that are so much more rampant on PC than consoles (not to say they don't exist).

I know a guy who used to work at Bungie as an environment artist but left to form a new company focused on bringing real games to mobile platforms. I'm not sure if he was still around during Destiny's development or planning, but I'll ask him if he knows anything about those two things next time I see him.

geekmarine said:

Well, as Halo: Reach will be the next game in the Games for Gold program...

Really? We I guess some easy kills will be coming next month for the veteran players (who knows, we may even bump into each other?)

I don't play anymore because there are no cheats. You can't cheat destiny. And 'play' is misleading. Destiny plays with you.

Just recently found out that this game had a 500 million dollar budget. Wow. After all these average reviews I wonder if Bungie will lose a lot of money over this game.

Honestly 2014 has been a very disappointing year for games. I'm likely gonna simply redbox this one.

Drilbur said:

Honestly 2014 has been a very disappointing year for games.

My thoughts exactly. Apart from the new Wolfenstein the whole year was uneventful. I assume some good titles may still remain in hiding for the xmas season though.

Don't start on saying 2014 is bad, there's some good stuff here and there plus Wasteland 2 is coming (and it might be premature, but some say it's a black horse GOTY.)

Compared to the releases last year, I'd have to agree. So far, 2014 has had a few decent titles here or there, but 2013 was probably the best year for games in a while.

But then again, in just a few weeks: Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Batman, Massive Chalice, Smash Bros, Asscreed Unity, Far Cry 4, Borderlands: PreSequel... Not to mention GTAV for newer consoles, etc. I'm sure not everyone is interested in all of those but I still think it's a pretty impressive spread for this year.

CorSair said:

Don't start on saying 2014 is bad, there's some good stuff here and there plus Wasteland 2 is coming (and it might be premature, but some say it's a black horse GOTY.)

A friend of mine actually acted in one of the cutscenes for that game recently.

Friend bought it. Xbox One version. We're playing through it.

It's Halo with spheres.
Levels are small and uninspired.
Weapons handle like ass. Hard to get off more than three shots without having to stop and re-aim. Might actually be fun to shoot things once the PC version's out.
Graphics are ok.
Fireteams are broken on the XB1 version.
Though the gunplay itself is ass, the combat can feel pretty tacticool at times. Taking things slow and using your powers at the right times is fun. Non-boss enemies don't feel too bullet spongey.
I was really mad that I couldn't make a green alien with a golden false eye so that I could play as Matrix from ReBoot. I'm going to stay mad about that until I can mod in green skin on the PC version. Not that it matters-- you can't choose to take your helmet off during missions.

I'm glad I don't own it, and it's going to be a seriously hard decision even getting the PC version on sale.

It feels like a more open world version of Mass Effect Co-op with a lot of Borderlands mixed in. While it does have some issues it's not a bad game, but it's not the best game ever and a lot of the hype was unwarranted. The biggest issues for me is the Gun Play. Like Coopersville said the guns handle like shit and we all know how much gun play matters in a fps. If they refine the gun play for the pc version, I might give it a shot. But as it stands the couple of hours I played at a friends house was enough for me.

Drilbur said:

Just recently found out that this game had a 500 million dollar budget. Wow. After all these average reviews I wonder if Bungie will lose a lot of money over this game.

It was actually a 500 million investment in a Destiny franchise, this is just the first of many.