Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

Sectors with F_SKY1 on both ceiling and floor [Vanilla/Chocolate]

YES, ANOTHER ONE. HOPEFULLY THESE WILL STOP FLOODING FROM MY HEAD SOON.

I'm confused, because whenever I make a map that has F_SKY1 set as both its floor and ceiling texture and I test it in Chocolate Doom, it throws up a massive sky display of HOMs for everyone's displeasure:

-Screenshot from a testing session in Chocolate Doom.

I really don't understand this as I've played a few maps which do this (Like some of CyberDreams' levels) and it can't be a mapping error because it shows up fine in Source ports. Is it something to do with the Nodebuilder?

More complicated than it would appear. You need a sector with F_SKY1 as the ceiling only, bordering the F_SKY1 floor. You can make it thin and low enough that it can't be seen. Look at how Cyberdreams does it in a map editor, Hell Revealed MAP26 does it too, if you can't figure it out from those I'll post a demo map later.

According to fabian on the Crispy Doom github page, "if ceilingplane and floorplane were the same (e.g. the sky) the same visplane would get used for both, resulting in the HOM."

OK, the thing is I thought I'd already surrounded the sky sector like you said, but it turns out there were some gaps. Drawing a new sector with the properties you described still didn't fix the problem, however, so here's the WAD.

[P.S.]: Yep, it's going to be a fairly weird WAD. :P
You can probably guess from the title what it's gonna be about.

Ceiling of the surrounding sector needs to be at least one unit higher than the floor of the F_SKY1-floor sector, i.e. set sector 46 to have ceiling height -319. If you want to avoid the visual border that comes from this, you make another border sector, between the two, with a ceiling height of the inside sector and a floor height low enough that you can't see it, and a floor texture that isn't F_SKY1, and then your outside sector has the same low floor height and a ceiling height to match (doesn't need to be 1 higher if you do it this way I think).

Cool concept for a map, should be interesting.