Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Why doesn't /idgames have Doom 3?

As many of you know, I keep a semi-faithful backup of The archives, specifically the levels, on Doom Wad Station. In fact, I have added alot of stuff that I've pulled from the internet that isn't on the archives but the one thing that always bugged me is "Why doesn't the archive have a levels section for Doom 3?". That is the one area that I spend alot of time looking for stuff because it is in so many varied places and I think having it all (or as much as possible) in one place is way more convenient.
It can't be the size of the files. Ya, some of them are pretty big, but hard drive space is abundant and cheap - so, why?
Anyway, just random wonderings....

For one, most mods for more "advanced" games tend to be in a perpetual alpha/beta stage, never really getting finished, with last-minute patches and fixes being common. It's also hard to keep track of every single one of them. Even if they are few, they are scattered and sporadic affairs.

Secondly, most have different/complicated installation procedures and/or a lot of details to pay attention to, which are better documented and explained in their website (if there's any and is still maintained, ofc).

Third and perhaps most important, many don't have an idgames-compatible distribution clause.

Maes said:

For one, most mods for more "advanced" games tend to be in a perpetual alpha/beta stage, never really getting finished, with last-minute patches and fixes being common. It's also hard to keep track of every single one of them. Even if they are few, they are scattered and sporadic affairs.

Secondly, most have different/complicated installation procedures and/or a lot of details to pay attention to, which are better documented and explained in their website (if there's any and is still maintained, ofc).

Third and perhaps most important, many don't have an idgames-compatible distribution clause.

Still, the archives "could" mandate one - along with installation instructions in the text file as well as mandating that it be a finished product. I just think it's a shame that the archives don't have Doom 3 levels. It would be a real bonus

Another things: Doom 3 creations tend to be huge (tens, hundreds of MB; even giga). I think there's a size cap on /idgames.

Regardless of that, a more stable repository for Doom 3 works than filefront is needed. Not only Filefront/Gamefront looks like the kind of place that would shut down any moment, it also forbids access from way too many countries all over the world! I for example can't (normally) download stuff from there any longer.

printz said:

Another things: Doom 3 creations tend to be huge (tens, hundreds of MB; even giga). I think there's a size cap on /idgames.

Regardless of that, a more stable repository for Doom 3 works than filefront is needed. Not only Filefront/Gamefront looks like the kind of place that would shut down any moment, it also forbids access from way too many countries all over the world! I for example can't (normally) download stuff from there any longer.

I completely agree, which is why I've spent alot oftime going through them as well as moddb to gather it all into one location. And, as I said, a size limit in 1994 made sense - not so much 2014