Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

Those look really good, thanks for putting in the time and effort.

WAD with the full set of improved Cyber sprites is here. They're looking great, though I haven't committed them into Freedoom yet.

The zombie sprites you've posted so far are looking amazing. It's really great to see them getting improved. It's the zombieman and shotgun guy who need the most attention; the chaingun guy is the same as the player sprite and so has already had some touch-ups applied in the past. You're welcome to do that one too if you like though :)

One minor suggestion. In this sprite:

Against the dark background of Doomworld it's possible to see that some of the edges of the skin portions are quite bright. This might be because the original zombie sprites were drawn on paper, so sometimes the edges have bright bits where they were improperly cropped when they were originally scanned. It tends to stick out in-game against a dark background. I tried my own amateurish touch-ups of the sprites a few years ago to try to deal with this but I don't have the same skill you have :)

just tried the cibie in zdoom, it feels good to use summon friend and just let wreck the other monsters :-)

this version should be a little better

im going to try and finish this zombie as quickly as i can without sacrificing quality, but after that my edits are going to be slower because of homework

Just a reminder that the current cyberdemon was originally submitted as a spider mastermind, which is why it looks kind of spidery. This graphic can easily be converted into a spider or cyber and look good as either.

raymoohawk said:

im going to try and finish this zombie as quickly as i can without sacrificing quality, but after that my edits are going to be slower because of homework

No problem, take as much time as you need. Completing that full set of Cyber sprites in a weekend was pretty amazing from my point of view.

thanks, ill try to finish the zombie tonight. ill probably follow up with the shotgunguy, but only a sprite a day. now for a couple of silly questions, is the shotgunguy to close to the orginal? should i make one of the zombies female?

edit
another silly question, could we replace the skull keys with heart keys, that would be like beating hearts?

raymoohawk said:

thanks, ill try to finish the zombie tonight. ill probably follow up with the shotgunguy, but only a sprite a day.

Okay, no need to rush though. Feel free to take your time.

now for a couple of silly questions, is the shotgunguy to close to the orginal? should i make one of the zombies female?

Hah, never really occurred to me. You're free to do this if you want. I'll leave it up to your artistic discretion as to make whatever changes you want.

another silly question, could we replace the skull keys with heart keys, that would be like beating hearts?

Also possible, though we'll need to update the status bar icons as well to match (and ideally we should also do matching replacements for the Boom "keycard + skull key" icons).

second rotation of the zombie, a little more sloppy than the first

wont be finishing it tonight after all, ill continue it in the morning

More Zombieman sprites, excellent and the shotgunnner is close to the original, so you don't have to worry about that, also your shotgunner is better than the original.

thanks, but i asked about the shotgunner being to close to the original, because i was under the impression that we cant recreate the doom monsters (they cant look like they are the same character)

excelent work dude, i'm ever trying to release a "test" version of my test wad (lol), explaining is a wad whit all stuffs possible of freedoom and after i finish the obejects / monsters area that place will be excelent to test the new sprites.

hey guys i was working out how the chingunner should look like, here is a preview, but it still only half done what do you think of the design (i know it is difficult to make it out at this point) also im making it the same size as the previous chaingunner, is that apprpriate, or should it be as big as the doom one, wich is slightly larger?

raymoohawk said:

now for a couple of silly questions, is the shotgunguy to close to the orginal? should i make one of the zombies female?

edit

I whole heartily approve of these changes.

EDIT: I didn't see the chaingunner sprites when i posted, except the wires on the head needing a bit of work I'd almost say i like it better than doom's.

looks amazing dude, i realy like but for other side i can sk a thing? what is that thing of they're holding? i know thats a chaingunner but his gun is lol. that fit very good for a future freedm skin.

Do you plan on making new enemy designs for some of the poorer enemy designs and more unfitting ones? The cartoony impish revanant always seemed out of place among the cyber and creepy monster themed enemies, and the pain elemental just seems kind of lazy.

i posted a reptilian monster earlier, i may continue it later, but not without going trough whats already in freedoom
anyway the third rotation is done!

this is another concept for a monster i might attempt to submit

raymoohawk said:

this is another concept for a monster i might attempt to submit

Before That...

the red may be the baron of hell and the green can be a hell knight or you need to explain me...

The red could be a baron of hell and the green a hell knight but it depends on what those monsters are.
The green however resembles a dinosaur so it could replace the Worm as the FD demon and the red reminds me of a Pain Elemental so it could be used replace the Flying Skull Sphere which is the FD Pain Elemental.
But only once these sprites are done we could decide which old monster sprites they will replace.

raymoohawk said:

thanks, but i asked about the shotgunner being to close to the original, because i was under the impression that we cant recreate the doom monsters (they cant look like they are the same character)

Oh, sorry about that i didn't pay attention, anyway you're right, the monsters can't look like they are the same Doom character.

J.B.R said:

The green however resembles a dinosaur so it could replace the Worm as the FD demon

I don't think the worm needs replacing, it has a pretty good sprite. It's probably my favorite of the freedoom monsters. Maybe a bit of touching up to match the new art style, but other than that it's good.

In regards to the dinosaur creature, I like the design of it, but the bold color makes it a bit cartoonish rather than threatening. Perhaps a subdued tan would look good?

Death Egg said:

I don't think the worm needs replacing, it has a pretty good sprite. It's probably my favorite of the freedoom monsters. Maybe a bit of touching up to match the new art style, but other than that it's good.

In regards to the dinosaur creature, I like the design of it, but the bold color makes it a bit cartoonish rather than threatening. Perhaps a subdued tan would look good?

Decent baron/hellknight replacements perhaps?

woops, sorry for the silence guys, im still working on this, here is the next rotation

the red and green monsters are just concepts for now, they may change a lot when i get to actually spriting them. also i agree the pinky worm should stay, it is very well doen

Wow, this is really awesome. Thank you very much already, raymoohawk! Finally, Freedoom's sprites will be on par with its excellent textures.

I agree that the dragon/dinosaur would make a fine replacement for the baron/hell knight. I also agree that the current demon worm is one of the best sprites in the project so far -- it might just need a small overhaul to not look bad against the other sprites once they are oberhauled. :)

Edit: The Mancubus, ne Assault Slug is my favourite sprite of the whole set. It feels like a moving, attacking "bag" of bones and flesh. If you ever retouch it, could you pelase keep its fleshy color which adds very much to the image of a fleshy, sluggish sack? ;)